Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Some people can turn it heaps, and some can't turn it at all.

That's interesting.

I have very very thin wrists and fingers, and I can rip it. Not being cocky or anything, but when I'm on song, I can really rip it.

Sean said:
Some people can turn it heaps, and some can't turn it at all.

That's interesting.

I have very very thing wrists and fingers, and I can rip it. Not being y or anything, but when I'm on song, I cna really rip it.

Spinning strength is a very intangible one, from memory, Chandrasekar (might be someone else) had a shriveled arm from disease and still bowled the quickest, fizzing googlies around.

Sean saw your thread regarding tail enders. What about your variations? How do you get on with bowling the different variations or do you just rely on bowling leg breaks?

Does anyone else find that when they are practicing (And playing) the more relaxed you are the more likely you are to get things going right?
When I practice I set out with a series of goals - one of which is to bowl consecutive "Good balls" e.g. I'm trying to learn how to pitch the ball onto a small target area time and time again in order to have almost total control over line and length when bowling "Top Spinners". Currently the record is 3 consecutive balls which is relatively easy when I'm relaxed and just going through my paces - it just happens every now and then. But then I pick up the next ball and it's the one that is going to set the new record or maybe even go on to be 5 consecutive "Good Balls". Suddenly the pressure is on and I'm now thinking about it and every time without fail it all comes undone!

How am I supposed to make advances if when I concentrate and try and focus on what I'm doing it goes wrong? It is quite frustrating.

someblokecalleddave said:
Sean saw your thread regarding tail enders. What about your variations? How do you get on with bowling the different variations or do you just rely on bowling leg breaks?

I only got to bowl 3 overs at them. I was flighting them and giving them quicker balls and I think I forgot to give them the toppy and the wrong un (Which spins about a cm).

In reply to Dave about the pressure. Best thing you can do is practise. The more you do, the more confidence you'll have. I've developed a mental thing where if the pressure is on then i tend to think about anything but the task in hand. Another thing which focuses me is having a chat to myself whilst walking back to my mark, or even the captain, which was hard when i was the captain ;)

It reminds me of an interview with Nathan Astle of New Zealand where he described his World Record double-century innings in 2002; he reached 200 runs in just 153 balls and 217 minutes:

'Guys know when they're going to go out there and get runs. You just feel in that sort of mood. For me, I've got to be relaxed, I've got to be not thinking about what I'm doing. I'd rather be sitting there joking around with someone and have my mind completely off batting beforehand, so when I get out there the subconscious takes over and I know how to play... I was just in a state of mind where I was positive, I wasn't nervous, I was relaxed, my feet were moving, I was playing straight - everything was happening perfectly for me. My subconscious was taking over; I wasn't thinking about anything. That's the best way you can be.'

Fantastic post Liz. Thats obviously more aimed at batting and its pretty much the way i feel about batting myself. With bowling you have to take a similar mindset to succeed. Obviously its a little harder as you have to plane ahead, make bowling plans on how to get the batsmen out. If your brain is full your bowling will suffer. Its not a great myth but it helps to know that the more relaxed you are the better you will be.

It does all seem really obvious and everything everyone is saying rings true. Which reiterates previous posts I've made. The mental thing is such an important aspect to all facets of the game and under-pinning it is the confidence that you can do it through proving it to yourself in practice it seems? But I think there is a massive leap from practice situation to a situation where you have got to do it and make it count. The fact that when faced with the do or die situation somehow you've got to still stay loose and do what you always do and not get affected by the moment. In theory it sounds easy - needless to say I'm going to give it a go in my accumulative good balls situation next time. I'll try and stay loose and do as I always do and see if I can ignore the pressure. Hopefully one step at a time I might learn how to do this.

I'm trying to think of other situations in life where this happens......

Driving a car you just do it once you've learnt it and you deal with all sorts of complex situations that if you were to try and write them down as explanations would take pages. But remember your first few drives once you'd passed your test - pulling away at T junctions into a busy RH turn with people queuing behind you. I know for sure I stalled my car 6-10 times once just because of the need to get it right.

So hopefully just like I learned to do that under pressure it'll come right with the bowling? It's just practice and doing it again and again.

Just realising the previous point about learning to drive has left me feeling really optimistic about my bowling and makes me believe that I can and will do it!! Driving is far more complex and equally as pressurised when you first start!

Try and you'll succeed, spin bowling is intensely hard to learn and i've tried to pick it up many times. Its infuriating how some balls turn a mile, some not and all and some the other way!

Keep at it Dave as its an invaluable thing to learn and the kind of thing you can do for a lot longer than a pace bowler.

dave, sometimes we cann all think too much about things and it hurts us on the pitch, we all seek that state when its natural but we can also think about our game and see things clearer

like all things its learned behaviour and it comes from repitition, in cricket its something like 10000 balls before your muscle has the memory of it and will copy it time and time again so you can focus on other actions

I'm there! I'll keep at it till my arms fall off!! If I'm not bowling I'm exercising or researching! Looking around tonight trying to get to grips what it is that Murali is doing I came across the cloverdale video on youtube again and saw the bit where Terry Jenner is explaining standard Leg Breaks and realised I've been doing them wrong and maybe that's the reason my leg breaks don't work!!!!!????? AAAaaarrrgghhh!!!
What do I do now - do I try and get back into bowling my leg breaks or do I stick at my Top Spinners!!!!
I'm gonna watch it again I can't believe I've been doing something so fundamentally wrong that sounds so easy to rectify!!!!!

Dave,

Spoil yourself for Christmas; book yourself a few coaching sessions. We have some great coaches at the Ford County Ground who could save you a lot of angst. A few hours with somebody who knows what they are talking about can save years of research. You deserve it you know! :D

Buy youself Shane Warne - The King Of Spin the DVD. It's got some pointers on bowling leggies and all the variations in there. Slider, Wrong-un, Toppy, Flipper etc.

Its all about advice, as Liz says, get yourself some 1 on 1 coaching, and theres a lot of it about.

Videos, books and reading simplyCricket will get you on track ;)

Liz, I've had a look around the ECCC website looking for that kind of thing but could only find courses that were aimed at kids? Can you send me an email or something with more specific information as this is something I'd love to do as I'm sure it'll either put me off of bowling for ever or inspire me to greater heights! (The latter hopefully)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back