Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Since last night watching the Terry Jenner videos on line I've been walking around the house throwing the ball up in the air so that if I was bowling - the palm of my hand would face the batsman on release. Doing this and then letting the ball fall to the floor - the spin is turning the ball into off so maybe I've sussed it out? Could it be? Can a I bowl 5 variations now? I can't wait till the weekend or a dry night in the week so I can find myself somewhere to have a go and test it out! Looks very promising.

Hmm, I seem to not be spinning it as much now. I have the odd one that spins heaps. But most just spin a little bit. Maybe because I'm not giving it enough air? Is that why?

someblokecalleddave said:
Liz, I've had a look around the ECCC website looking for that kind of thing but could only find courses that were aimed at kids? Can you send me an email or something with more specific information as this is something I'd love to do as I'm sure it'll either put me off of bowling for ever or inspire me to greater heights! (The latter hopefully)!
Dave,

Ring Lorraine on 01245 254028 at the Ashwell Graham Gooch Cricket Centre [this is the Indoor School at the County Ground].

The coaches are all booked up at the moment but you can put your name down on the waiting list or if there is a cancellation, they will fit you in.

They are running a Masterclass this Sunday [9 December] from 12.30-3.00pm at £30 per person. It is open to all ages although many will be youth cricketers. They only take 18 but there are still a couple of spaces if you are interested.

Let me know how you get on.

Virender - "I hope your glass windows are in good untouched condition"

So far the windows are okay, some of the furniture get clattered every now and then! 5 months and counting till spring 16 days until Dec 21st and the shortest day of the year and then we're heading for summer!!!

Cheers Liz in the run up to Christmas I'm skint which is a shame, but I'll give them a call and see what they've got going on after Christmas. I'll let you know how I get on.

Yeah - I'm definitely up for it and I'll call them this weekend and see what's available and yeah I'll report back once I've been.

Dave, i'm guessing you're responding to Liz's private messeges? If you're not, then you're talking to yourself :laugh:

Sean said:
Hmm, I seem to not be spinning it as much now. I have the odd one that spins heaps. But most just spin a little bit. Maybe because I'm not giving it enough air? Is that why?

Sorry, but had to bump it. Seems it wasn't noticed and I've got my school state final tomorrow.

you might be bowling it a bit flatter and faster hence you are getting less spin. from what i know flighting the ball is important for geting more turn.

The more flight you give it, to more rotations the ball will do in the air, which means that if you've got the spin correct, then it should spin. From your post thats all i can say.

Good luck in the game sean! Could be anything but make sure you go out there confident and even if its not spinning get your keeper shouting as if its ripping ;). Toss it up and let the ball do the rest :D.

If spin fails to come, simply do the basics right, right area and it should be fine. If you have enough control on your bounce then change that, and make some skid along whilst others hold up and what not, theres thousands of ways to bowl even if it isn't spinning!

I can easily get it in the right area, I just have to get the spin right. 2 days ago in the semi final, first ball didn't spin at all and the guy on 54 left it. 2 balls later a delivery was more flighted up, he had a big swing, it caught the edge and he was also stumped. That ball spun a bit.

Well its simple isn't it? Do whatever you feel is right, or ask your captain on his idea, your captain should have a general idea, if he's a good captain that is.

Or even better, grab the wicketkeeper and have a chat, the WK watches every ball, so he should have an idea as well.

Simbazz you said - "The more flight you give it, to more rotations the ball will do in the air, which means that if you've got the spin correct, then it should spin. From your post thats all i can say".

Some questions/statements regarding this point....

(1). I can understand that if you flight the ball up and you go for a delivery that is loopy (above the sight line) that there will be a tendency for the ball to hit the ground with less forward motion so at the point where the ball hits the ground and "Bites", if it's spinning it seems logical that the spin will affect more sideways movement than if delivered faster and lower?

(2). Is it true then if the ball is delivered faster and lower - at the point where the ball hits the ground and "bites" because of the increased forward motion, the tendency for the ball to "bite" and affect a sideways motion is going to be reduced?

(3). But then there's another variable in that the longer the ball is in the air the more time there is for the rotations to slow down due to the time in the air?

(4) Finally there's another possible factor in that the amount of spin you're able to impart on the ball in a slower delivery is increased when compared to a faster delivery?

Does this all ring true?

Right, its late, and i'm tired from not having slept much so i hope i understand it.

Flight can do two things, allow the ball to rotate and to allow drift (swing, but for spinners.)

A rotating ball in midair is deadly, once a ball goes above the batsmens straight eyeline, he is already on the backfoot. Usually, and i stress the word usually, the longer the ball loops in the air, the quick the rotations get, thus when contact is made with the pitch, the tendency for it to "bite," as you put it is greater.

Let me break it down. I come in to bowl, and i bowl one which is flighted, if i put the same amount of spin on it as i do with my stock ball, then the tendancy is for the ball to speed up its rotations, and then to spin off greater than usual.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, if you bowl the ball, with the seam a little straighter, a flighted ball will make the ball bounce a little higher. Again, there are things to go against it, on some freak balls you'll find them holding up, almost stopping on the correct pitch, and the batsmen plays to find it not there.

Ok, lets get onto the quick, flat one. As a batsmen myself, when i see one of these my eyes light up because usually spinners dont do them correctly, they tend to bowl them either too wide or too straight, the secret is to bowl it in the same area as a leg spinner. The quicker one is a rare attack ball, something to "hurry," the batsmen up if he's getting comfortable. Comfort for a batsmen is as big a thing as skill, if you're comfortable, the runs will flow, if you're comfortable, the situation is easier, if a spinner is restricting runs, you find them with ease elsewhere.

I hope i've answered your questions, anymore questions before i pop off to bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back