Mark Nicholas

Mark Nicholas

Anyone else sick of this guy commentating on our screens?

He first came over in 03/04 season against India and since then has stayed. I think he was kicked out before the 05/06 season but Packer reinstated him just before Packer passed away.

I can't stand this guy commentating, just seems so fake.

Loved Ponting at the toss as well with a well placed remark "you happy with that decision Mark?" :D:D:D

The com box is crowded as it is, I'd rather listen to Ian Chappell and Bill Lawry over Mark Nicholas anyday.

Thoughts?

Re: Mark Nicholas

I have to agree with you there, some commentaors make you want to keep watching the game but some don't so when mark is in the commentary box i turn the tv on mute and the listen to the radio commentary...

My feeling aren't as strong, but I've definitely come round to your way of thinking recently. When he started, many were against him simply because he was a Pom, which I thought was a bit unfair as they have always been superior commentators of the game.

However, his overuse of "positive adjectives" is a turn off. No doubt at all Ch.9 would love this because he talks it up even if not much is happening, but when you peel back the sugar coating, you feel a little bit conned. As you say Ljp, it's so artificial.

Spin should be kept to those who are playing.

Didn't really mind him initially but he's getting annoying now tbh, especially when commentating rather than presenting.

Anyone remember a few years ago when ch 9 were plugging some show they had on later that night as they do these days during the coverage. And Mark Nicholas goes "yep its right on after Desperate Housewives' which is of course was on ch 7, a rival to ch 9.

Personally don't mind him to be honest. He adds something different. Tony Grieg, now that's a man I don't like.

breeno;384303 said:
Personally don't mind him to be honest. He adds something different. Tony Grieg, now that's a man I don't like.

i agree,he was over here for the ashes in05 and i thought he was a nightmare then. am surprised he is still on ch9

breeno;384303 said:

He adds something different also: that f*wit element.

Thank-you Kerry Packer.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;384258 said:
Anyone else sick of this guy commentating on our screens?

I cant stand him. I can put up with any other commentator in the world except Nicholas. The way he fell in love with Chris Gayle on air was sickening.

Did anyone notice the comment made about him " being an expert on cracks" during the test in Melbourne I think it was when the wicket crazed up a bit. It might have been made by Warne when they were out in the middle before play sarted one day. I notice warnie never turns his back on mark nickelarse.

His commentating to me isn't that bad, I just don't like his attitude. He doesn't sound like a very nice guy in person. He always as that artificial smile, and underneath you can see as soon as the cameras are turned off he orders this, that and the kitchen sink from everyone in the crew while doing his hair. Of course that's not true, but it's just the feel I get from him.

The 'Watson Syndrome' I call it now.

I like Mark Nicholas. Knows his cricket. I don't give a shit about their attitudes, as long as they know what they're on about.

Mousey;384490 said:
I like Mark Nicholas. Knows his cricket. I don't give a shit about their attitudes, as long as they know what they're on about.

It's really all that counts.

I don't listen to the C9 commentary team any more (I mute and listen to Grandstand) but I find it hard to believe that he could be worse than Justin Langer.

Caesar;384638 said:
I don't listen to the C9 commentary team any more (I mute and listen to Grandstand) but I find it hard to believe that he could be worse than Justin Langer.

I love the channel nine commentary on the whole actually.

From having the greatness of Benaud, great excitement and opinions of Lawry, to having the opinionated Chappelli, aggressive Tony Greig, Mark Nicholas with some interesting points, and then having the three teammates of Taylor, Healy and Slater provide a lot of light hearted banter, and it is especially funny when they take to insulting Slater about everything. I like it because they don't always talk about cricket, I know they are cricket commentators but there are sometimes when they have pointed absolutely everything out already, they have a bit of fun. A lot of other commentary teams either go silent or point the same things out over and over and over, and never get off the topic of serious cricket.

With channel nine it's more light hearted and you don't feel pushed into concentrating so hard your brain hurts just to tell what they are on about.

For me that is the perfect way to commentate. Now all they need is to add a couple of young guys like Warne and Gilly and you have from the 1930s till now covered in cricketing history.

Boris;384668 said:
I love the channel nine commentary on the whole actually.

From having the greatness of Benaud, great excitement and opinions of Lawry, to having the opinionated Chappelli, aggressive Tony Greig, Mark Nicholas with some interesting points, and then having the three teammates of Taylor, Healy and Slater provide a lot of light hearted banter, and it is especially funny when they take to insulting Slater about everything. I like it because they don't always talk about cricket, I know they are cricket commentators but there are sometimes when they have pointed absolutely everything out already, they have a bit of fun. A lot of other commentary teams either go silent or point the same things out over and over and over, and never get off the topic of serious cricket.

With channel nine it's more light hearted and you don't feel pushed into concentrating so hard your brain hurts just to tell what they are on about.

For me that is the perfect way to commentate. Now all they need is to add a couple of young guys like Warne and Gilly and you have from the 1930s till now covered in cricketing history.

No-one channel 9 can hire will be as light-hearted and off topic as Kerry O'Keefe. He's a big part of the reason why I prefer grandstand.

The Ox;384671 said:
No-one channel 9 can hire will be as light-hearted and off topic as Kerry O'Keefe. He's a big part of the reason why I prefer grandstand.

That may be true, but channel nine has them in numbers.

One of the only reason I watch IT20s is because of that commentary team. They are all so familiar with players actually playing that when miked up out in the middle it is unbelievably funny.

I think the T20s should be put on a comedy channel sometimes.

Back