Mark Nicholas

Re: Mark Nicholas

The Ox;384671 said:
No-one channel 9 can hire will be as light-hearted and off topic as Kerry O'Keefe. He's a big part of the reason why I prefer grandstand.

I cannot stand that bloke.

All personal opinion and preference.

My whole life I have listened to one set of commentators so it's a little hard to get used to any others.

I almost punched my TV when I listened to SkySports for the Ashes this year.

Boris;384668 said:
Now all they need is to add a couple of young guys like Warne and Gilly and you have from the 1930s till now covered in cricketing history.
Well steady on, Benaud didn't debut until the '50s.

I find that Grandstand adds a lot more to the experience than C9. They have commentators I don't like but in general I find their commentary a lot more incisive and their analysis a lot deeper.

Unless it's Langer of course. All he wants to do is reminisce about the old days and talk up all his mates.

Caesar;384707 said:
Well steady on, Benaud didn't debut until the '50s.

I find that Grandstand adds a lot more to the experience than C9. They have commentators I don't like but in general I find their commentary a lot more incisive and their analysis a lot deeper.

Unless it's Langer of course. All he wants to do is reminisce about the old days and talk up all his mates.

Benaud debuted in his 20s, didn't mean he didn't watch cricket before then. Plus he has a greater chance of talking about one of Bradman's innings than Slater, or for that matter any other commentator in the country. Don't really like him all that much, but he definitely has the wisdom.

Mark Nicholas is annoyingly up-beat and was annoying to listen to, back when Channel 4 broadcasted England's cricket.

Now, all of the Sky commentators are brilliant. Especially Bumble :D

Also, for me, Sky Sports makes for better commentary than BBC's Test Match Special too.

lewissaffin;384732 said:
Mark Nicholas is annoyingly up-beat and was annoying to listen to, back when Channel 4 broadcasted England's cricket.

Now, all of the Sky commentators are brilliant. Especially Bumble :D

Also, for me, Sky Sports makes for better commentary than BBC's Test Match Special too.

I have only seen Sky Sports when the Ashes were aired here from that channel, and I actually found them incredibly boring. In any 15 minute segment I heard any of the commentators say about 4 words. Seemed like they all just get paid to sit in an airconditioned box, watch the cricket and say 'out' when someone get's out or 'safe' when they are safe.

my guess is that Nicholas is a Benaud creation. its no secret that a replacement was needed as Ritchie was to slow down.

also that Simon O'donnel was groomed for the position, but for whatever reason, he was overlooked in favour of Nicholas.

personally i have no problem with Nicholas, although he is a little bland.

Mark Nichollas is a product of the new Americanised mass media cricket - reducing cricket to a shallow corporate spectacle.

also that Simon O'donnel was groomed for the position, but for whatever reason, he was overlooked in favour of Nicholas.

I assume O'donnel was overlooked because he has a horribly unclear deep voice that puts people to sleep. And I don't believe Nicholas will be the new Benaud, I think its fairly clear that Michael Slater is moving into that role. Or probably more likely - the role is being de-centralised and will be shared by Slates, Heales and Nicholas

Slater is the problem. Some of the stuff he comes out with makes me wonder if he actually is delusional. He talks the kind of insane rubbish that (rightly) saw big Maxy shown the door.

Thumbs up;386144 said:
Slater is the problem. Some of the stuff he comes out with makes me wonder if he actually is delusional. He talks the kind of insane rubbish that (rightly) saw big Maxy shown the door.

Without Slats, then who would Taylor and Healy pick on all day? That's half the entertainment them paying out Slater!

Back