Matthew Hayden

Re: Matthew Hayden

mas cambios;303674 said:
We don't know that he is only half ready that is thing. He may just need finishing, which is something that test cricket will provide.

I don't think that there is anything wrong in calling him up to the squad for the series in S.Africa, whether he plays or not is another thing.

Well there is no point in calling him up to the squad if he isn't going to play and deprive him of much needed domestic cricket.

But we will wait and see what happens when he is selected I suppose.

The selectors will call up anyone that they think will play for Australia in the future, regardless of "much needed domestic cricket"

Sean Marsh went over to India as did Dougy Bollinger earlier this year. They missed some cricket but it hasnt hindered their development.

And the the thing is that first class in Australia is very strong and a good guide to see if a player can make it at Test level.

Kram81;303695 said:
And the the thing is that first class in Australia is very strong and a good guide to see if a player can make it at Test level.

Yeah it sure is that is why Mcdonald has played so well for Victoria in the sheffield shield averaging close to 50 and he really showed that at the crease today :)

Debutant nerves against a world class attack who didnt think he'd play for Australia. Haddin was in the same boat. He is doing okay now.

Its aways going to be difficult to score runs.

grapedo;303697 said:
Yeah it sure is that is why Mcdonald has played so well for Victoria in the sheffield shield averaging close to 50 and he really showed that at the crease today :)

I am an australian and victoria supporter but I am still mistified as to why Australian selectors continue to persist with an ideology that we must have an all-rounder in our team.

We need to go into a game with 3 or 4 pace man, 1 spinner and Clarke/Katich sending down some overs. All to do with the pitch of course. But no all-rounder is good enough really to play for Australia (Symonds can bat but his bowling suffers, Watson is very hot and cold with both bat and ball)

grapedo;303697 said:

It was his debut remember or have you forgotten again?

Plus Duminy scored, what was it? 1 in his first innings but bounced back nicely whats stopping McDonald from doing the same?

Edge;303755 said:
It was his debut remember or have you forgotten again?

Plus Duminy scored, what was it? 1 in his first innings but bounced back nicely whats stopping McDonald from doing the same?

Because Mcdonald looked really bad and showed no signs of improvement.

And Duminy and Mcdonald are 2 completely different players you can not compare them.

grapedo;303764 said:

And Duminy and Mcdonald are 2 completely different players you can not compare them.

But you cannot knock a kid for scoring 15 and looking nervous on debut. Thats why it's comparable.

grapedo;303764 said:

You're saying this after one innings? Ridiculous.

Yes, yes we can. We aren't talking about the player types, but indeed their debut. :)

breeno;303784 said:
But you cannot knock a kid for scoring 15 and looking nervous on debut. Thats why it's comparable.

Okay well we will wait and see.

If he has a bad test match you guys will be saying why do we keep trying for that all rounder when we don't have one ?

I won't be saying that.

And I certainly won't be complaining about a kid looking nervous on his debut, do you remember how Duminy looked in his first innings?

Guys this thread is about Matthew Hayden.

Lets get back on topic or create a new topic if need be.

breeno;303803 said:
I won't be saying that.

And I certainly won't be complaining about a kid looking nervous on his debut, do you remember how Duminy looked in his first innings?

And when did I complain about him looking nervous.

I thought he was nervous and looked shaky but I didn't complain I said that Haddin should have batted at 6.

grapedo;303848 said:
And when did I complain about him looking nervous.

I thought he was nervous and looked shaky but I didn't complain I said that Haddin should have batted at 6.

Stop taking the thread off topic man with unecessary points >.>

*On topic I wanted Hayden gone this test but after will be just as good.

is looking very shaky as a player if he bats well in the 2nd innings and make a ton that might make him safe at the top order

Stewy11;304040 said:
is looking very shaky as a player if he bats well in the 2nd innings and make a ton that might make him safe at the top order

Even if he does make 100 in the 2nd innings, which i don't think he will, he will be asked to make way for Chris Rogers and Phil Jaques/Hughes on the tour to Sth Africa.

Jaques needs to prove to the selectors that he is worthy of his spot back with his only 1st Class hit-out at the end of the month before the selectors pick the squad or Hughes gets the nod. Forget about Klinger, he's had ample time to produce on the talent everyone in Victoria knew about but he has wasted any chance he had of playing in a Baggy Green. Sure he has had a fine season in 08/09 thus far but he couldn't buy a run for the 6 or so seasons previous he was in the First Class scene. We need either; a proven performer or a young kid who has potential, not some late 20's one season wonder.

Back