Michael Clarke Announces Retirement After This Ashes Series

Renegadesfan

Also known as Sooz
don't know if any of you saw this coming but michael clarke has announced that the fifth test will be his last.

Please post your tributes here

Last edited:
11873533_1036317686398952_9189135141611753618_n.jpg

Clarke played some great knocks for Australia and will go down in history as one of the decent batsmen. His Captaincy was bold and attacking, however he took Australia down a very bad path with respect to their behaviour. You look at how New Zealand behave and perform and it is a non contest. Smith appears to be more measured and hopefully he will just worry about cricket and give away the sledging. The upcoming series against Bangladesh and New Zealand will be interesting as there could be up to 4 new faces. It is going to make the domestic season very interesting.

Clarke played some great knocks for Australia and will go down in history as one of the decent batsmen. His Captaincy was bold and attacking, however he took Australia down a very bad path with respect to their behaviour. You look at how New Zealand behave and perform and it is a non contest. Smith appears to be more measured and hopefully he will just worry about cricket and give away the sledging. The upcoming series against Bangladesh and New Zealand will be interesting as there could be up to 4 new faces. It is going to make the domestic season very interesting.
I wouldn't point the finger at our skipper for instigating those confrontations. Yes he does have a fault but it is with retaliation to whatever the other team has said or done.
It's ugly, but you need to understand that you can't blame just one person for all of this.

Sledging is fine but acting like an a-hole still makes you an a-hole under the sledging 'banner'.

Clarke's "going to ****** break your arm!" is a good example of this...

That's the kind of sledging that shouldn't be in the game and players should be able to have beers with the opposition after the game if they want to!

Sledging is fine but acting like an a-hole still makes you an a-hole under the sledging 'banner'.

That's the kind of sledging that shouldn't be in the game and players should be able to have beers with the opposition after the game if they want to!
That was not sledging that was loosing it and in the end that was his captaincy, loosing it. Yes he was a magnificent batsman when on song, i will remember his back to back triple and double centuries but i will also not forget his bazar captaincy at times and that he clearly could never unite the team for very long. His time has always been coloured by disharmony, and results showed this. One minute a series win then total meltdown, bring in Boof win the ashes 5 nil then melt down. Win at home then meltdown. I think if they had have won the Ashes he would have done the fair well tour this summer but now it would have been the P&^s off tour.
It will be tough for Smith but he will do the hard yards and build the team toward an era of strength again. Is Rogers also retiring? replace him with Marsh and bring in a young batsman to replace Voges. This will then be a new era.

I personally don't have an issue with sledging as long as it doesn't go too far. It should be funny not down right nasty..
Funny sometimes but it must get under their skin. As i have said before, the point is to distract the batsman so they make a mistake. I do completely agree that nasty is stupid. I have seen that turn against the bowler to many times and Clarke was the king of foot in mouth when it came to sledging. Never funny and usually inappropriate.

Funny sometimes but it must get under their skin. As i have said before, the point is to distract the batsman so they make a mistake. I do completely agree that nasty is stupid. I have seen that turn against the bowler to many times and Clarke was the king of foot in mouth when it came to sledging. Never funny and usually inappropriate.

I used to receive the Chris Martin sledges because I had the same cricket pads (the funny looking Aero ones) and every time I batted, the opposition team would think of themselves as so clever for doing the Chris Martin jokes and I would just smile and laugh as it happened every match lol.

It's funny. There seems to be two Michael Clarkes...the one in the interviews who sounds like a really nice guy and the one on the cricket pitch who's a bit of a snob and a nasty sledger..

It's funny. There seems to be two Michael Clarkes...the one in the interviews who sounds like a really nice guy and the one on the cricket pitch who's a bit of a snob and a nasty sledger..
That would be the media trained ACB Michael for the media, then the rest is the Shane Warne trained D(^khead.

On the face of it, Clarke's warning to Anderson that he could ready for a broken f*cking arm seems way out of order!

That said, a bit of context here is necessary. Anderson as we all know is a chief agitator when things are going his way, then fast fwd to the Bris test of the 5-0 Ashes romp in 2013/14, when England has their back against the wall and the Aussies give him a bit of lip, he goes crying to the Umpires.

Neither Clarke or Anderson came out of that looking good, although if everything the stump mic picks up over the course of a test was relayed into the viewer's living room, I doubt many test cricketers would emerge with a reputation for good sportsmanship intact!

I used to receive the Chris Martin sledges because I had the same cricket pads (the funny looking Aero ones) and every time I batted, the opposition team would think of themselves as so clever for doing the Chris Martin jokes and I would just smile and laugh as it happened every match lol.
Those pads are so gay :p

Back