Michael Clarke Announces Retirement After This Ashes Series

On the face of it, Clarke's warning to Anderson that he could ready for a broken f*cking arm seems way out of order!

That said, a bit of context here is necessary. Anderson as we all know is a chief agitator when things are going his way, then fast fwd to the Bris test of the 5-0 Ashes romp in 2013/14, when England has their back against the wall and the Aussies give him a bit of lip, he goes crying to the Umpires.

Neither Clarke or Anderson came out of that looking good, although if everything the stump mic picks up over the course of a test was relayed into the viewer's living room, I doubt many test cricketers would emerge with a reputation for good sportsmanship intact!

True, I lost a lot of respect for Anderson from that as well.. He used to be my favourite English cricketer.

Australians have a fairly deserved reputation as sledgers but it shits me how people go on as if they are the only ones that do it.
Spot on, total laugh. The Aussies are certainly sledgers but very good at it. The rest get all sulky when they can not keep up

I wonder you will be vice captain to Smith now, the cupboard is very bare for options.
Don't know about that. Smith is a very young captain in recent Aussie terms but this gives good stability to the future. Possibly a left field candidate would be good like Mitch Marsh or Nevill.

Warnes carry on demonstrates just how bigger moron he really was. He is getting to a new low as a person. Soon he will wonder why there is no respect for him and what he achieved with the ball. We all know Clarke was his little charger, and that has shown through with clarke near the worst captain this country has ever had.
Warnie has a massive point though.
Whether you like or dislike pup, the rubbish going around about him is nothing but crap coming from his haters.
It has to stop and if guys like warnie get themselves involved so be it. They're putting their reputations on the line just like what the cricketers are when they are doing their job.

Mitch Marsh might be worth a shot as deputy?
lol no. Nevill maybe if he cements his spot. Only other obvious candidates really is Warner that has captained but he's a hothead and not the sharpest tool, and Voges that has led WA teams but he's old and could get dropped anyway.

Don't know about that. Smith is a very young captain in recent Aussie terms but this gives good stability to the future. Possibly a left field candidate would be good like Mitch Marsh or Nevill.

Will be interesting to see who they go with - doubt either M Marsh or Nevill will come into the equation - as neither are even auto selections. I doubt Haddin will be back, and I would be picking Wade over Nevill right now.

That said, it's not like I am throwing fwd any candidates either! Warner seems a likely choice, but has a few years good behaviour owing before he can be considered in a leadership position!

Think there was an article in the paper today putting fwd the case of N Lyon, again I'm not convinced.

I'm surprised people are considering Nevill. I wasn't impressed by his Ashes performances so far. Granted he was okay behind the stumps but these days their batting is just as important!
He's a good batsman at shield level, needs to be given a decent chance. Personally I think too much emphasis is put on batting ability for keeper selection unless we are talking Gilchrist like ability lol. As long as they are competent and can average at least 30 or something I'd take someone that is a gun keeper over an ordinary one. A half chance or 2 taken by a very good keeper and less **** ups is worth a lot more in swinging a than averaging an extra 10 runs or so with the bat.

I think it was a joke that Chris Hartley never seemed to ever even get looked at by selectors. Him not being the strongest with the bat is overstated a lot too, may not be the most elegant but fought out a lot of good innings for Queensland.

I'm surprised people are considering Nevill. I wasn't impressed by his Ashes performances so far. Granted he was okay behind the stumps but these days their batting is just as important!

Agreed - Nevill was picked as the Ashes back up on the back of a remarkable Shield campaign in 2014/15, but he looked way out of his depth batting vs England.

That said, a home series vs a weak oppo would've been a much preferable way for him to debut.

Wade is competent enough with the gloves and has the runs on the board. Will be interesting to see if they persist with Nevill.

Agreed - Nevill was picked as the Ashes back up on the back of a remarkable Shield campaign in 2014/15, but he looked way out of his depth batting vs England.

That said, a home series vs a weak oppo would've been a much preferable way for him to debut.

Wade is competent enough with the gloves and has the runs on the board. Will be interesting to see if they persist with Nevill.
Wade is ok but nevill showed that he was capable of playing like an aussie cricketer hence why he was chosen.

He's a good batsman at shield level, needs to be given a decent chance. Personally I think too much emphasis is put on batting ability for keeper selection unless we are talking Gilchrist like ability lol. As long as they are competent and can average at least 30 or something I'd take someone that is a gun keeper over an ordinary one. A half chance or 2 taken by a very good keeper and less **** ups is worth a lot more in swinging a than averaging an extra 10 runs or so with the bat.

I think it was a joke that Chris Hartley never seemed to ever even get looked at by selectors. Him not being the strongest with the bat is overstated a lot too, may not be the most elegant but fought out a lot of good innings for Queensland.
I think age came into hartley's call. Yeah he's awesome but is he capable of going the next level? Not likely.
I think hartley should try his hardest to emulate his idol at sheffield shield level. He's yet to do that.

Back