MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

3D-503;374404 said:
As disapointing as the umpires may be and i for one was spewing about a few that were turned down from my bowling, we still need them. To say ross terra was unlucky well maybe he was maybe he was not from were we all were sitting which is side on we could not tell it was missing by 6 inches, all batters think they were not out on lbw decisions win some lose some get over it.. Maybe all the complainers should give it away and take it upon themselfs to umpire then the standed might improve or maybe the older expereanced players like talior tapner pallini ellis betchy and co could think about it the standed would have to pick up then but it would be hard to give playing up.
Interesting, i know Tapner pretty well and i can tell you from him that when his playing days are up, umpireing is not even close to being on the agenda.;)

GeeCeeCee;374463 said:
Correct. Tempers did flair Saturday, if it was a final things could've got alot worse. Luckily they didn't, it would be a shame if relationships between teams were affected by any such incidents.
If i remember correctly there were a couple a mistakes in last years grand final by a certain imbercile umpire i wont mention his name but it wasnt Pat Campbell. But it didnt affect relations between 2 teams as they both shared a few beveridges later in the night. Wat im saying is there is no reason to get in a slinging match with opposition over an umpires decision even if it is wrong. Just tell the umpire where to go:D Im joking lads.

FoPud11;374427 said:
tony villani???? what to say

worst thing is..that the NWCA has 24 senior umpires and we have 12?? had to get back pat campbell to umpire due to the decrease in numbers

also, good to see that the St Marys blokes stay behind saturday for a few beers..good to see!![/QUOTE]

Its about the only thing that we are doing right this year!:p

first slipper;374442 said:
I dont understand what you are getting at. You dont walk anytime of year the umpires get paid to give you out. What i am say is. It is easy to say (get over it), but when these umpires that are not up to the standard get a semi final there will be fire works. I will enjoy being a spectator knowing that on a hot day people lose there temper alot easier. It happened on saturday and lucky that Head and Browny was able to keep the peace on the ground. Even head would agree in a final would be alot harder to control your players knowing that you have worked hard all year to get there.

Fair call taken on board, just thought u were having a go @ their integrity more than their ability 2 umpire (my mistake) do agree the standard of umpiring over the last couple of years is waning. Seems 2 be the louder & more aggressive the appeal, the more intimidated the umpires become & they make hasty decisions. Whats the solution?
Do the mmvca executive spend money & go on a recruiting drive.
Do they offer larger match fees 2 attract higher competion umpires. Until 1 of these suggestions or another is in place, i think we all have 2 grin & bear it.
Last thing we want is opposition players being the central umpire as is in most cases in B grade & other grades where arguments with the opposition is a constsnt.
An old coach of mine always said, have bat in hand use it. cuts out the lbw appeals. Hasnt helped me yet though.:)

16cans;374487 said:
Fair call taken on board, just thought u were having a go @ their integrity more than their ability 2 umpire (my mistake) do agree the standard of umpiring over the last couple of years is waning. Seems 2 be the louder & more aggressive the appeal, the more intimidated the umpires become & they make hasty decisions. Whats the solution?
Do the mmvca executive spend money & go on a recruiting drive.
Do they offer larger match fees 2 attract higher competion umpires. Until 1 of these suggestions or another is in place, i think we all have 2 grin & bear it.
Last thing we want is opposition players being the central umpire as is in most cases in B grade & other grades where arguments with the opposition is a constsnt.
An old coach of mine always said, have bat in hand use it. cuts out the lbw appeals. Hasnt helped me yet though.:)

I know of one way to fix it. I would be able to get as least 7 umpires that umpire in the top grade in another comp if we the clubs change the ruling to say after 75 overs it is the end of the days play no matter what time of the day it is. Jika do it at the moment and some of there sides are finished by 5.15pm. It encorages the side bowling to push through the overs and lets the umpire have an early day aswell as players. It has been up for voting the last couple of years and it keeps getting knocked back for some reason (Dont know by who either).

first slipper;374488 said:
I know of one way to fix it. I would be able to get as least 7 umpires that umpire in the top grade in another comp if we the clubs change the ruling to say after 75 overs it is the end of the days play no matter what time of the day it is. Jika do it at the moment and some of there sides are finished by 5.15pm. It encorages the side bowling to push through the overs and lets the umpire have an early day aswell as players. It has been up for voting the last couple of years and it keeps getting knocked back for some reason (Dont know by who either).

i like that one, lets get it happening :D

Guys to get a plug in for our club - we are having a trivia night this Saturday.

Details are here:

East Coburg Cricket Club - News

$20 all you can eat!

:D

Really worried about that.....

lol

Please get in contact with George (el Presidente) if you are interested.

Book a table and lets gets some competition off the field too!

/end shameless plug

first slipper;374488 said:

Great idea. This was put up two years ago by the umpires at the AGM. From memory we voted fot it and one other club while every other club voted against it.

Can understand everyone's feelings about umpires but posting comments about them isn't goint to help the the cause. No matter what the standard, it is better having impartial umpires than umpiring ourselves.

Not sure what happened on the weekend but i'm sure if Brad Hunter was bowling on the weekend and hit Warren Parker dead in front, he would prefer his chances if he looked up and saw Tony Villani, than say Sean Pipe as the umpire.

Not sure what happened on the weekend but i'm sure if Brad Hunter was bowling on the weekend and hit Warren Parker dead in front, he would prefer his chances if he looked up and saw Tony Villani, than say Sean Pipe as the umpire.[/QUOTE]

fair call that there is no point getting on the umpires back.... we cant change them so lets just get on with the season with the best that we have got...

St Mary's is also good at Losing at the moment they have that under control.

They need that 1 win to ignite that spark and with the pitch being as green as they say who knows this week could be it, it could be outright in Day 1 to either side dont be suprised....

We just need our umpires to go back to the basics and call it as they see it without being persuaded by the volume of the appeal.

When you have someone like Tony Villani in charge of two sides with volatile players then there is a real risk of something blowing up. This Villani bloke doesn't keep count of the overs bowled, he keeps a count of how many decisions he has turned down in a row so he knows when he is due to give one out.

We may have a shortage of umpires but we are still better off without this clown...

bomber27;374530 said:
Great idea. This was put up two years ago by the umpires at the AGM. From memory we voted fot it and one other club while every other club voted against it.

Can understand everyone's feelings about umpires but posting comments about them isn't goint to help the the cause. No matter what the standard, it is better having impartial umpires than umpiring ourselves.

Not sure what happened on the weekend but i'm sure if Brad Hunter was bowling on the weekend and hit Warren Parker dead in front, he would prefer his chances if he looked up and saw Tony Villani, than say Sean Pipe as the umpire.

Fair call Bomber, but i will always say to our players, if you think it's out you need to give it. That may not always happen. I personally would rather win games for being the better team than win games from cheating. Last week for example, one of our players gave a run out (which the St Mary's guys even said it was to close to call, i have no problems at all with this given that he genuinely thought it was out)

Umpires, we need them, we have to have them. Who actually likes umpiring? I like Tapner would not be interested once my playing days are over. They do a fantastic job week in week out, but they still need to be responsible for what they produce.

I am definitely not an umpire basher! On Saturday i was just as pis... off as everyone else with the bad decisions, but you are not going to change them. You need to get on with the game. But it is a kick in the teeth when as captain you try and talk rationally to the umpire and he doesn't want to know about it.:eek:

Anyway, that's my take, enough about the umpires though guys. We have got some good games this week. Who is everyone tipping? We are looking forward to taking on the ladder leaders Merlo. It should be a ripper.:)

mmvca;374485 said:
FoPud11;374427 said:
tony villani???? what to say

worst thing is..that the NWCA has 24 senior umpires and we have 12?? had to get back pat campbell to umpire due to the decrease in numbers

also, good to see that the St Marys blokes stay behind saturday for a few beers..good to see!![/QUOTE]

Its about the only thing that we are doing right this year!:p

I wouldn't call it right, they might want to get back to their own club once in a while:)

glenroy- very strong
sainters- but st marys are due for a win and they r not that bad excepte zimmer padding up on middle stump and the ball hitt him on the full,
st francis- starting to fall asleep better be carefull
west coburg- appleyard in some type of form
sunshine heights- travelling good making a run for finals cricket y

first slipper;374418 said:
3D,

Strong words there mate, Let me ask you this, if it came down to a semi final or a grand final and you guys needed one wicket to get and a Tony or Ray or any other umpire in this comp missed a LBW or a caught behind that was clearly out WOULD YOU GET OVER IT. As for all the complainer taking up umpiring. I already umpire in a different comp in finals if St Marys dont make it (already got my name down for this year if you are woundering) and by all reports from the last time i think i am a better umpire than player. But while i can still contribute to my club, i will still pull on the whites each week and try to win a game or 2 maybe even 3 if we get lucky.

To all the St Andrews boys dont forget your helmets this week, pitch looks great for bowling

Get over the umpire issue fellas,its been happening since Moses was a child in all sports and remember what level we play.
There is no difference in Football,Soccer,Cricket or other sport at our levels,so lets thank the guys for doing the best they can.

On a more important note,what a great couple of weeks coming up in cricket.
This week
St Marys vs St Andrews is always competative and might have to spend the budget and get a few helmets for the St Marys boys.(Love keeping them on their toes)
St Andrews back at full strength this week,some handy selection problems,Taylor,Wernham and Jolley available this week.
Glenroy vs Merlo
What more can you say about this game,both top orders have gun bats in form and this will be a good test for both sides and the bowlers are not too shabby either.(if i wasnt doing my job at St Andrews,couldnt think of a better game to watch. good luck to both sides.

Next week
St Andrew vs Merlo (big 2 weeks for Merlo)
This one i wont miss and after this week it will be a true indicator how the top sides are travelling at this stage of the year.
St Andrews attack vs Merlo batting and vice a versa says for a great game of cricket all round.
Glenroy vs West Coburg
Another one that will sort out the top four and will be interesting where Callum and his boys are at this stage of the year.

On another note, i now have an interest in one of our competitors and take a real good look at how the best 1st Slipper (Bradman) in the competition is travelling weekly and what apart from being a great slipper he is doing(not much) week by week.

We will never change what the umpires do but bloody hell there is some good cricket happening at the moment.

Good luck to all sides this weekend and the 4ths(took 4 for) will have to stuggle this week without the F.O.S as there is bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you guys over the coming weeks(you too Chippy)

F.O.S

topspot;374868 said:
glenroy- very strong
sainters- but st marys are due for a win and they r not that bad excepte zimmer padding up on middle stump and the ball hitt him on the full,
st francis- starting to fall asleep better be carefull
west coburg- appleyard in some type of form
sunshine heights- travelling good making a run for finals cricket y
good luck to all this week and tony vilani is a good umpire keeps it short and sharpe pffft

MERLO - game of round, doing everything right so far will stick with them
VALES - bowler back will help
HEIGHTS - big rhode kill back to back on home deck
EASTS - coin toss wont surprise if ycw win
ST. ANDREWS - tapner due & if jolley back cant see them losing
WESTS - barkly too inconsistent

F.O.S;374947 said:
Get over the umpire issue fellas,its been happening since Moses was a child in all sports and remember what level we play.
There is no difference in Football,Soccer,Cricket or other sport at our levels,so lets thank the guys for doing the best they can.

On a more important note,what a great couple of weeks coming up in cricket.
This week
St Marys vs St Andrews is always competative and might have to spend the budget and get a few helmets for the St Marys boys.(Love keeping them on their toes)
St Andrews back at full strength this week,some handy selection problems,Taylor,Wernham and Jolley available this week.
Glenroy vs Merlo
What more can you say about this game,both top orders have gun bats in form and this will be a good test for both sides and the bowlers are not too shabby either.(if i wasnt doing my job at St Andrews,couldnt think of a better game to watch. good luck to both sides.

Next week
St Andrew vs Merlo (big 2 weeks for Merlo)
This one i wont miss and after this week it will be a true indicator how the top sides are travelling at this stage of the year.
St Andrews attack vs Merlo batting and vice a versa says for a great game of cricket all round.
Glenroy vs West Coburg
Another one that will sort out the top four and will be interesting where Callum and his boys are at this stage of the year.

On another note, i now have an interest in one of our competitors and take a real good look at how the best 1st Slipper (Bradman) in the competition is travelling weekly and what apart from being a great slipper he is doing(not much) week by week.

We will never change what the umpires do but bloody hell there is some good cricket happening at the moment.

Good luck to all sides this weekend and the 4ths(took 4 for) will have to stuggle this week without the F.O.S as there is bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you guys over the coming weeks(you too Chippy)

F.O.S

how could you include Jolley after his performance last week?? or is he just special

Komodo Dragon;374283 said:
TONY VILLANNI !!!!...Do the cricket fraternity a favour and find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. You are a disgrace and this competition does not need you...

This is to all of you knocking Tony Villani its a game and you need to realise that. What you's dont understand is umpiring means alot to Tony its what makes him happy and what he looks forward to on the weekends. Those that are writing mean comments about him you obviously dont know Tony at all he has feelings you know just like every other person out there so dont think what you say doesn't hurt his feelings. The other thing I guess you dont realise is who you play for, you play for a local club not victoria or australia so your obviously not in a position to judge others because if you were good at playing cricket then you would be along side people like Shane Warne. There is a word some of you dont seem to know the meaning to and thats RESPECT which you dont seem to have. Keep your hurtful, judgemental opinions to yourselves.

Hi guys,

Jason from Barkly Street here.

Seem's we're not represented so I thought I'll be the man.

Here are my tips for the round:

Merlo v Glenroy - Match of the season so far. Merlo were very good against us last week with their top order in fine form. Bowling is not bad either. We haven't played Glenroy yet however can never discount the premiers. Will be a close game but I'm tipping Glenroy to win.

YCW v East Co. Neither side has registered a win and have not played either side yet. I will tip YCW only coz I played with the skipper Deano back at Sunshine Druids a few seasons back

St Francis v Pascoe Will tip St Francis. I rate them in top 4

West Co v Barkly Will say Barkly St only coz I play there but we haven't won against them for the past 4 seasons so tough ask. We do have our 2 better batters back this week in Marcus Curnow and Dale Williams so we should put up a better fight this time round

Heights v Socials Picking Heights as they have won the last 2 so will pick them to continue on their winning ways

Marys v Andrews Andrews to continue their fine form

Good luck on the weekend guys

UmpiresFan;375032 said:
This is to all of you knocking Tony Villani its a game and you need to realise that. What you's dont understand is umpiring means alot to Tony its what makes him happy and what he looks forward to on the weekends. Those that are writing mean comments about him you obviously dont know Tony at all he has feelings you know just like every other person out there so dont think what you say doesn't hurt his feelings. The other thing I guess you dont realise is who you play for, you play for a local club not victoria or australia so your obviously not in a position to judge others because if you were good at playing cricket then you would be along side people like Shane Warne. There is a word some of you dont seem to know the meaning to and thats RESPECT which you dont seem to have. Keep your hurtful, judgemental opinions to yourselves.

here, here. no more needs to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back