MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

jsonnn;381242 said:
Something to gloat about guys as it's not often we get a chance to do so...Barkly Street thrashed St Andrews by 8 wickets chasing 240! The wicket was magnificent to bat on. I'd have to say we have the best wicket in the comp by far!

A club record of 208 for the opening stand set it up for us very nicely. St Andrews did not take the loss very well as they were not very impressed with us batting on after passing their score. At one stage I played an off drive only for it to pull up short of the boundary. We ran 5 runs while the fielder walked to pick up the ball and then to my dismay he deliberately threw the ball over the boundary. Initially the umpire called it a 9 run shot but thanks to some peer pressure, the fielder claim the ball to have crossed over the boundary. Would have been good to have had a 9 down in the books.

Anyway, we ended the game early to avoid any hostilities that was starting to brew.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to get everyone's view on whether to bat on or end the game after reaching target scores. I know from our point of view we've been kept out on the field before over the past few seasons so for me I would keep batting til stumps. Anyway, you'd want to get your moneys worth wouldn't ya?

lets just get rid of St Andy's, send them off to a lesser comp, somfing like NWCA they can have a crack at the bouncy stuff

eureka;381246 said:
lets just get rid of St Andy's, send them off to a lesser comp, somfing like NWCA they can have a crack at the bouncy stuff

That's a bit harsh mate. There are always going to be teams you'd love to hate. They play with a lot of heart and aggression, sometimes arrogance which I love to see. Those are the sides that give you the burning desire to beat them and when you do, it's very satisfying. Mind you, the lack of respect for the opposition and the umpire is something that is just not on.

jsonnn;381247 said:
That's a bit harsh mate. There are always going to be teams you'd love to hate. They play with a lot of heart and aggression, sometimes arrogance which I love to see. Those are the sides that give you the burning desire to beat them and when you do, it's very satisfying. Mind you, the lack of respect for the opposition and the umpire is something that is just not on.

Jsonn,

Congratulations on your win mate you guys batted very well and indeed as the scores say "you thrashed us" Well Done.

No excuses from us you guys were just too good. You should be very satisfied as it was a great win for you guys. We have some work to do!

Merry Christmas and good luck for the rest of the season.

Hope to see you later in the season if we both make it.

Some clubs are just bad sports and many in the competition do hold that opinion of St Andrews. Also it is annoying if you do stay out after the score has been passed but that is part of the game, be a man and get on with the job. That sounds quite sad the whole incident with them running 5 and then throwing it over.

jsonnn;381242 said:
Something to gloat about guys as it's not often we get a chance to do so...Barkly Street thrashed St Andrews by 8 wickets chasing 240! The wicket was magnificent to bat on. I'd have to say we have the best wicket in the comp by far!

A club record of 208 for the opening stand set it up for us very nicely. St Andrews did not take the loss very well as they were not very impressed with us batting on after passing their score. At one stage I played an off drive only for it to pull up short of the boundary. We ran 5 runs while the fielder walked to pick up the ball and then to my dismay he deliberately threw the ball over the boundary. Initially the umpire called it a 9 run shot but thanks to some peer pressure, the fielder claim the ball to have crossed over the boundary. Would have been good to have had a 9 down in the books.

Anyway, we ended the game early to avoid any hostilities that was starting to brew.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to get everyone's view on whether to bat on or end the game after reaching target scores. I know from our point of view we've been kept out on the field before over the past few seasons so for me I would keep batting til stumps. Anyway, you'd want to get your moneys worth wouldn't ya?

Jsonn,

If it suited you to bat on you should have, if our behaviour collectively after you won was anything less than sporting then i apologise.

No one likes to be beaten and have their nose rubbed in it but if that suited you guys or guys needed a hit then you should have kept batting. We have done it in the past to prepare for games in the future.

Sometimes it may help us too to eat some humble pie. We may have benefited from it too.

Well done on your win.

old hack;381273 said:
jsonn,

congratulations on your win mate you guys batted very well and indeed as the scores say "you thrashed us" well done.

No excuses from us you guys were just too good. You should be very satisfied as it was a great win for you guys. We have some work to do!

Merry christmas and good luck for the rest of the season.

Hope to see you later in the season if we both make it.

old hack over rated get back in your hole, go play backyard cricket where you might go alright

eureka;381246 said:
Ha ha wat a stupid comment, we have won 2 of the past 3 gfs so why would we go to a lesser comp, like i said stupid comment.Obviously teams want us to fail but thats the way we like it, we like teams setting themselves up for us it helps us improve, even if we do lose the occasional game. Congrats Barkly st you guys must have played well but it will also make us a better team. As for you Eureka that comment was just a waste of your time.

lol, old hack you are a joke, take the lose and get on with your season i dont rate st andrews and never have and most likely never will, all i can say is st andrews grow up, im looking forward to watching a ST FRANCIS v GLENROY grand final good luck boys

jsonnn;381242 said:

Jsonnn,

At St Mary's we always call the game off as soon as the game is won or one of our batsmen are close to a mile stone, then we will let him get the mile stone and then call the game off. We look at a couple of things junk time wickets or runs dont count for much at our club and if the shoe was on the other foot would we be happy to be stuck in the field with nothing to play. If clubs have kept us in the field after the game was won we would make a mental note of that and choose to play on ONLY against that club in the following year. In saying that we have not had the problem come up for a long time. I understand that teams have done that to you in the past and the next couple of years you might get the chance to do the same to them. But just remember St Andrews next year if given the chance will probably keep you in the field to 6.00pm no matter what they are chasing and with batsmen like Tapner and woodhouse it can turn very ugly with 2 good hitters in with no presure on them.

As for the other muppets on here that want to hop in to St Andrews. Yes they can carry on a bit on the field but dont we all, but i for one love the contest against them because they play to win and your team has to be at there best to beat them. I for one always have verbal fights with one or more of there players every time we play them but will always have a beer with them after the game. The problem alot of people have with St Andrews is that they are successful and alot of people hate successful sides. I will remind people that playing for St Marys we probably have the most reason for hating them for the last 2 years but we hold the most upmost respect for a very good cricket side

OMO

first slipper;381427 said:
[/COLOR]

Jsonnn,

At St Mary's we always call the game off as soon as the game is won or one of our batsmen are close to a mile stone, then we will let him get the mile stone and then call the game off. We look at a couple of things junk time wickets or runs dont count for much at our club and if the shoe was on the other foot would we be happy to be stuck in the field with nothing to play. If clubs have kept us in the field after the game was won we would make a mental note of that and choose to play on ONLY against that club in the following year. In saying that we have not had the problem come up for a long time. I understand that teams have done that to you in the past and the next couple of years you might get the chance to do the same to them. But just remember St Andrews next year if given the chance will probably keep you in the field to 6.00pm no matter what they are chasing and with batsmen like Tapner and woodhouse it can turn very ugly with 2 good hitters in with no presure on them.

As for the other muppets on here that want to hop in to St Andrews. Yes they can carry on a bit on the field but dont we all, but i for one love the contest against them because they play to win and your team has to be at there best to beat them. I for one always have verbal fights with one or more of there players every time we play them but will always have a beer with them after the game. The problem alot of people have with St Andrews is that they are successful and alot of people hate successful sides. I will remind people that playing for St Marys we probably have the most reason for hating them for the last 2 years but we hold the most upmost respect for a very good cricket side

OMO

Could not of said it any better First Slipper..

To be the Best you have to Beat the Best and St Andrew's have proven they are the benchmark of the competition over the last few seasons and that will change and when that does we want to beat them too.

paperboy;381379 said:
lol, old hack you are a joke, take the lose and get on with your season i dont rate st andrews and never have and most likely never will, all i can say is st andrews grow up, im looking forward to watching a ST FRANCIS v GLENROY grand final good luck boys

Watching the game? guess u wont be playing if prediction correct.

eureka;381246 said:

Any chance u can put your jealousy aside & ask ur council work mates 2 get Brearley right. Word is still dangerous & should not have been played on until after the break.

The weekend wash up

ycw/marys - good banter during week, win must have been around t.
easts/glenroy - predictable win, every1 bowled except keeper, he cant be that bad.
socials/vales - well done socials, changes needed @ vales hard 2 do with no depth.
wests/st.francis - matt leading from the front & not giving opposition any ammo 2 come back with.
barkly/st.andrews - good get jason, now need 2 put a couple together 4 consistency.
heights/merlo - more than enough, must of bowled well bomber, heights need the big fella 2 keep standing or his mates 2 stand with him 2 be any real threat.

omo

first slipper;381427 said:
[/COLOR]

Jsonnn,

OMO

Could not agree more First Slipper. My boys will only be left out there to reach a milestone.

Saints are a very very good team and getting on here and bagging them is a joke just becuase they play hard - toughen up.

Play hard and then more importantly have a beer with the guys after the game.

Thanks to Glenroy for a good game and whilst it also got tense out there - I appreciated the guys staying around to have a beer and a chat.

16cans;381454 said:
Any chance u can put your jealousy aside & ask ur council work mates 2 get Brearley right. Word is still dangerous & should not have been played on until after the break.

The weekend wash up

easts/glenroy - predictable win, every1 bowled except keeper, he cant be that bad.socials/vales - well done socials, changes needed @ vales hard 2 do with no depth.
wests/st.francis - matt leading from the front & not giving opposition any ammo 2 come back with.
barkly/st.andrews - good get jason, now need 2 put a couple together 4 consistency.
heights/merlo - more than enough, must of bowled well bomber, heights need the big fella 2 keep standing or his mates 2 stand with him 2 be any real threat.

omo

Brearley should not have been played on until after xmas. Not enough prep has gone into it and considering 1 guy has 6 stitches from a good length ball and two others were hit numerous times on the lid from the same length balls is probably a good indication the deck needs more time and prep.

NO excuses and dont start any crap about if you were better bats etc....the deck both weeks was bad.

We were beating by a much better side but seriously what is the council thinking?

On the second point - Glenroy's bowling was probably the most disciplined I have seen all year. Very impressive. Our guys had instructions to bat all day if possible and when the bad ones come along - deal with them.

I can honestly say NO one threw their wicket away which was fantastic to see for a rebuilding side but we did not get enough bad balls to put away and that was the big difference. Glenroy a very very good team.

Chisholm, Pipe and Greaney - all bowled terrific line and length all day.

One things for sure - we will keep at it.

putabellintheball;381461 said:
Brearley should not have been played on until after xmas. Not enough prep has gone into it and considering 1 guy has 6 stitches from a good length ball and two others were hit numerous times on the lid from the same length balls is probably a good indication the deck needs more time and prep.

NO excuses and dont start any crap about if you were better bats etc....the deck both weeks was bad.

We were beating by a much better side but seriously what is the council thinking?

On the second point - Glenroy's bowling was probably the most disciplined I have seen all year. Very impressive. Our guys had instructions to bat all day if possible and when the bad ones come along - deal with them.

I can honestly say NO one threw their wicket away which was fantastic to see for a rebuilding side but we did not get enough bad balls to put away and that was the big difference. Glenroy a very very good team.

Chisholm, Pipe and Greaney - all bowled terrific line and length all day.

One things for sure - we will keep at it.

Ok guys

Lets have crack at picking a side till christmas. I will do my home work and post my side tomorrow.

first slipper;381464 said:
Ok guys

Lets have crack at picking a side till christmas. I will do my home work and post my side tomorrow.

W Parker (Best in the comp)
D Williams (great start to the year can he keep it going After xmas)
P.Eilers (after a quite season last year back inform)
T Woods (This hurts to put him in but forms is to good to leave out)
C Pipe (Best of the keeper/batsmen)
M Woodhouse (Pinch hitter one hell of an eye)
M Costello (Wicket machine before chritmas)
C Appleyard (I think is the best bowler in the comp)
B Hunter (Shit gets wickets)
P Newton (wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 100% all the time)
M Shawcross (Dont know of him but getting good results ATM)

Was going to pick people as per batting and bowling positions but not too many batsmen are batting in the same spot each week so had trouble with the best number 4 in the comp. Please keep in mind that this is only MY opinion. feel free to post your best side till chrismas

16cans;381454 said:

The weekend wash up

easts/glenroy - predictable win, every1 bowled except keeper, he cant be that bad.
socials/vales - well done socials, changes needed @ vales hard 2 do with no depth.

omo

I'd love to get a job on council, any council, then i could leave this 9 - 5 job lol

first slipper;381470 said:
W Parker (Best in the comp)
D Williams (great start to the year can he keep it going After xmas)
P.Eilers (after a quite season last year back inform)
T Woods (This hurts to put him in but forms is to good to leave out)
C Pipe (Best of the keeper/batsmen)
M Woodhouse (Pinch hitter one hell of an eye)
M Costello (Wicket machine before chritmas)
C Appleyard (I think is the best bowler in the comp)
B Hunter (Shit gets wickets)
P Newton (wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 100% all the time)
M Shawcross (Dont know of him but getting good results ATM)

Was going to pick people as per batting and bowling positions but not too many batsmen are batting in the same spot each week so had trouble with the best number 4 in the comp. Please keep in mind that this is only MY opinion. feel free to post your best side till chrismas

I'm pretty sure Steven Zimmer would debate best of the keeper/batsmen although his highest score this season is only 19 lol

Brad Hunter what a joke doesn't spin the ball and get's wickets the batsmen must get bored after a while and throw there wicket away, Imagine if Brad was able to take those caught and bowled he has missed he would be on 22 wickets so far.

Hit 4 6;381517 said:
I'm pretty sure Steven Zimmer would debate best of the keeper/batsmen although his highest score this season is only 19 lol

Brad Hunter what a joke doesn't spin the ball and get's wickets the batsmen must get bored after a while and throw there wicket away, Imagine if Brad was able to take those caught and bowled he has missed he would be on 22 wickets so far.

Keepers wear pads on there legs to start with. From what i have heard he is nice enough to leave the tail for his opening bowler so he can get his name in the book aswell

By the way feel free to do your side look forward to reading it tomorrow. Will be looking mainly at the bowling side of things batting shouldn't be a problem for you

Merry Xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back