MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

The Socials CC Past & Present Players Reunion BBQ
Saturday 27 Feb.
Time: 1pm (Watch A-Turf v West Coburg)
Place: Cole Reserve (Cumberland Rd)
After game few drinks back at Wallace Reserve (Clubrooms)
RSVP Darren Black - 0402 200 156
Please pass this on to any Past Socials Players.

Quick thanks to all that turned up last night to support the East Coburg function with Kouta and Paul Daffey.

Was a great night and went a long way to helping the club $$ wise!

Maybe a few sore heads this morning.... :D

Thanks again to one and all and good luck to all this weekend!

Reggie Jackson;387721 said:
No i wasnt at the game, i play in the 2nds, but from the storys ive heard the appeal was totally justified?
Just going on what im told!
Always two sides to every story!:eek:

Reggie, you are fighting a losing battle mate, just give it a rest. You just don't appeal for this type of dismissal, player etiquette would say. At the end of the day, now as a result your club has been dragged through the mud.

Enough of that, there should be some exciting cricket being played this weekend and for the remainder of the season.

Merlo & St Francis looks like a cracker game, with Woods getting amongst the runs again, what a year he has had (is there any way to stop him?). Toss of a coin for me. Both teams look certain to make finals although could come down to the last game for St Francis (play Glenroy next week) if they are knocked over this weekend.

St Andrews and West, i think St Andrews have too much fire power with the ball for Wests bats. Good to see all there big names firing with the bat. They are on the prowl again at ths business end of the season.

Barkly St & Glenroy. Barkly Street well on top here. Glenroy may be on a downer after knocking over St Andrews last week. It seems like a reccuring problem (losing to lower placed teams) after being knocked over by Socials and Pacco already this season. Some would say there may be some inflated ego's down at JP Fawkner this season

TOP 4 PREDICTIONS AND WHY:
I think they will be unchanged, although Glenroy or St Francis could make way for Barkly Street depending on the results of the last 2 rounds. I think the other 3 finalists would much prefer to be playing Barkly Street rather than Glenroy or St Francis. Although Barkly Street have defeated both St Andrews and St Francis this season.

FLAG
Too close to call for me at this stage.

OMO guys.

Still plenty to play for, good luck to all.

Getonwithit;387906 said:
Some would say there may be some inflated ego's down at JP Fawkner this season

Some rumors floating around on this. Some of them getting a bit ahead of themselves but no results on the boad.

Half a dozen in the side still only playing A Turf on the back of a lack of depth in their B Turf.

Getonwithit;387906 said:
Reggie, you are fighting a losing battle mate, just give it a rest. You just don't appeal for this type of dismissal, player etiquette would say. At the end of the day, now as a result your club has been dragged through the mud.

Enough of that, there should be some exciting cricket being played this weekend and for the remainder of the season.

Merlo & St Francis looks like a cracker game, with Woods getting amongst the runs again, what a year he has had (is there any way to stop him?). Toss of a coin for me. Both teams look certain to make finals although could come down to the last game for St Francis (play Glenroy next week) if they are knocked over this weekend.

St Andrews and West, i think St Andrews have too much fire power with the ball for Wests bats. Good to see all there big names firing with the bat. They are on the prowl again at ths business end of the season.

Barkly St & Glenroy. Barkly Street well on top here. Glenroy may be on a downer after knocking over St Andrews last week. It seems like a reccuring problem (losing to lower placed teams) after being knocked over by Socials and Pacco already this season. Some would say there may be some inflated ego's down at JP Fawkner this season

TOP 4 PREDICTIONS AND WHY:
I think they will be unchanged, although Glenroy or St Francis could make way for Barkly Street depending on the results of the last 2 rounds. I think the other 3 finalists would much prefer to be playing Barkly Street rather than Glenroy or St Francis. Although Barkly Street have defeated both St Andrews and St Francis this season.

FLAG
Too close to call for me at this stage.

OMO guys.

Still plenty to play for, good luck to all.

Top 4 Prediction

Glenroy - Alot of people including myself think that they are carrying people in that team but what team isn't. They proved last year that they pull together in finals. With Delia in the side this year there batting is stronger and there bowlers are hard to get away doing the right things by getting alot of balls in the right areas

St Andrews - Alot of match winners in this side with woodhouse and Tapner's ability to take the game away from you in a matter of 10 overs and batsmen like Jolley and Newton to bat around them knowing there jobs then put Taylor in there going from ball 1 hard side to bowl to. Bowling stocks are short if Tapners not bowling Scotty and Paul will do the job at the start but they need to find someone for the middle overs to give Scotty a rest as he gets older

Merlo - Woods On fire with help from Borg and Gleisner but not much after that by the looks of there score cards in saying next week we will probably get these 3 early only to have there middle order hit us all over the park next week. Bowling wise i dont think they have that one person to turn to get get a big wicket they seem to have 5,6 or 7 bowlers every game. Their captain would be the pick of there bowlers but can he back up 2 days in a row if he was required to make runs on the first day.

St Francis - Needs Costello to bowl. The rest of there bowlers will struggle to bowl side out for under 200 in the finals, even though they bowled Merlo out this week for under 150. With out Costello or their batsmen need to bat the other side out of the game which they do have the batting line up for on ther day.

Barkly street unlucky this year but will get there chance next year if they can keep there form going

As for the Grand final

I would like to see St Andrew V Glenroy only because last years grand final didn't give both teams a chance to flex there muscles and slog it out over 4 days which is what a grand final is about not only ability but mental toughness we cost ourself a grand final 2 years ago because of the mental draining that is a grand final.

Good luck to all side in the finals

Reggie Jackson;388094 said:
What are the chances of us getting on tomorrow lads?
I wonder if the sides batting second or in the worst position in the game will try and play this week. I thought the wet weather committee got it right last week and i presume the same will happen this week? Lets all get back to trying to play every week as there seems to be a very quick (NO) to play on a slightly wet pitch these days. Just think years ago we did not have covers and we played on some ordinary pitches!!!!!!!
Anyway GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!!!!!!!

Reggie Jackson;388094 said:
What are the chances of us getting on tomorrow lads?

Absolutely no chance.

The big winners out of this would have to be Glenroy, who were under the pump against Barkly St with a couple of decent bats currently at the crease to be followed by Williams and Campbell and only needing 60 more. Just quietly, I wonder if Barkly St had the covers down before yesterday's downpour? Don't think it'll matter now

Sets up a big last round. The top 4 positions are set, just a matter of where they'll finish and who hosts who. Haddy should beat St Marys and St Andrews should beat YCW, so there'll be a lot riding on the Glenroy-St Francis clash at JP, particularly after what we saw in last years finals series where weather played a MAJOR part :D

My Captain said:
I wonder if the sides batting second or in the worst position in the game will try and play this week. I thought the wet weather committee got it right last week and i presume the same will happen this week? Lets all get back to trying to play every week as there seems to be a very quick (NO) to play on a slightly wet pitch these days. Just think years ago we did not have covers and we played on some ordinary pitches!!!!!!!
Anyway GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!!!!!!!

I think those that batted first last week would disagree!

We got out there and those pitches would have been interesting at best. Our one was.

i dont think for what it's worth we will get out there.

:(

All turf is OFF this weekend as council have not had a chance to prepare wickets.

Correct me if I am wrong but was this not exactly the same as last week?

Why cant they head out there tomorrow morning like they did last Saturday?

:confused:

Bobby Dazzler;388001 said:
Some rumors floating around on this. Some of them getting a bit ahead of themselves but no results on the boad.

Half a dozen in the side still only playing A Turf on the back of a lack of depth in their B Turf.

There has been alot of talking on here about GF's and best batting side in the comp, from some of the boys from Glenroy. Lucky for them they got a washout this week, otherwise they would have been in a very sticky situation, needing to win the last game against st fan just to make the finals!!! Just worry about whats going on in your backyard, before you start making silly comments, cause they'll come back to bit your on the arse!!!

Good luck to all final sides!!

For me it's the Saints to win the flag!!!!

putabellintheball;388143 said:
All turf is OFF this weekend as council have not had a chance to prepare wickets.

Correct me if I am wrong but was this not exactly the same as last week?

Why cant they head out there tomorrow morning like they did last Saturday?

:confused:

Interesting: How are the teams placed this week that have decision makers on the Executive or wet weather committee?

Does anyone smell a rat here?

Few sides would be upset with this decision and they may see finals all but gone for them.

old hack;388187 said:
Interesting: How are the teams placed this week that have decision makers on the Executive or wet weather committee?

Does anyone smell a rat here?

Few sides would be upset with this decision and they may see finals all but gone for them.

Was waiting for some goose to make a comment like this. Dave, just in case you are not aware here's the comps info number, 9517 1297. Call it, listen to it and you may understand why we are not playing. Probaly should have done it in the first place, might have given you a chance not to embarass your club.

bomber27;388193 said:
Was waiting for some goose to make a comment like this. Dave, just in case you are not aware here's the comps info number, 9517 1297. Call it, listen to it and you may understand why we are not playing. Probaly should have done it in the first place, might have given you a chance not to embarass your club.
Bomber i am sure everybody did listen to the message and the only difference from last week is that you said all turf cricket is off this week !!!!!!!!!!!!
Both said as the council could not get onto the wickets because of the rain.and the first one said that a message would be left at 9am as to see if the council could get them done Saturday morning which they did, now why could that not happen this week. Did their overtime be pulled off them this week?????????
Or something like that????
Or some other reason??????

My Captain said:
Bomber i am sure everybody did listen to the message and the only difference from last week is that you said all turf cricket is off this week !!!!!!!!!!!!
Both said as the council could not get onto the wickets because of the rain.and the first one said that a message would be left at 9am as to see if the council could get them done Saturday morning which they did, now why could that not happen this week. Did their overtime be pulled off them this week?????????
Or something like that????
Or some other reason??????

Captain, like you and many, I don't understand the councils logic at times. I don't have the exact answer, but i presume they didn't do enough work during the week on the wickets and therefore would not have had enough time to get all the wickets up on Saturday morning. We did have more rain on more days this week, then we did last week.

I'm dissapointed that this is the case, especially at this time of year, but I'm not going to put up with people questioning my integrity and insinuating that I was just looking after my own club.

In the end the council informed us that they would not have the wickets prepared and therefore the Wet weather committee had no choice but to call turf cricket off.

bomber27;388232 said:
Captain, like you and many, I don't understand the councils logic at times. I don't have the exact answer, but i presume they didn't do enough work during the week on the wickets and therefore would not have had enough time to get all the wickets up on Saturday morning. We did have more rain on more days this week, then we did last week.

I'm dissapointed that this is the case, especially at this time of year, but I'm not going to put up with people questioning my integrity and insinuating that I was just looking after my own club.

In the end the council informed us that they would not have the wickets prepared and therefore the Wet weather committee had no choice but to call turf cricket off.

I respect and value anyone donating their time to help the competition, so for that i say thank you to all that do.

No need to defend yourself mate if there is nothing to defend yourself about. You answer that for yourself. I am not saying anything in this regard. My comments were more tongue in cheek but have hit home with some. Why is that?

We do need black and white rules in regards to wet weather, " especially this time of year" Always grey areas in these matters. Suggestion put covers on early so we can play more cricket as other comps do. Yes i am sure there reasons why we can't but maybe we should work to get over these reasons.

Now how do I start my apologies to my club for embarrassing them? Perhaps you may leave that between us hey!! If we need your advice we might ask for it.

Congrats on your year so far with the bat.

bomber27;388232 said:

Here's a thought, never seen the council prepare wickets b4 Thursday anyway.
All gounds under water Thurs night., steady but not heavy rain Friday until after lunch. Grounds still very heavy Friday arfo. Drizzly showers early hours Sat morn. Been raining from about 10 this morning & what the ****, its still raining. No chance of having wickets done or having their trucks get out & back without chewing up the grounds. Right early call was made.

Don't believe I'm sticking up 4 the council or some1 from Merlo.
Have 2 love the St.Andrews lads, any conspiracy theory will do.:)
Was looking forward 2 Marys giving it 2 the Heights boys 2day, not 2 worry next season will come soon enough.

Four set only positions will change after last game, most anticipated finals in years. Good Luck.

There are some ridiculous comments being made on here about the weather and whether teams / players want to play etc. All I can say is that is garbage, we play cricket to play cricket. If we can get on, whether it is a little dodgy or not, we play. If it is unsafe, then do not play. We do not play matting, so unfortunately we have some differing decks on a week to week basis and unfortunately sometimes the toss of a coin does decide the fate of a game, but I wouldn't have it any other way. You win some, you lose some. That's cricket.

Bomber, the weather committee and the executive committee all do a fantastic job with donating their time week in week out, year in year out, so let’s give them a bit of slack. They have got us on the park a couple of times this season where other comps (i.e. VTCA) have been called off. So I congratulate them.

There have definitely been a few big winners this week and some big losers (in particular Barkly St) who have had their chance of playing finals come to an unfortunate end. But we cannot predict the weather. I personally would have said the Merlo / St Francis game was in the balance, so that insinuation is ludicrous.

Let’s concentrate our thoughts on the last round and a finals series that has been as close as any over the last 10 years. All 4 sides have a genuine chance to win the big one, who is good enough? Who needs to perform? Can the big time performers stand up? It is the business end of the season and the business will start in a fortnight’s time.

Good luck to all in the finals, there promises to be some enthralling contests.

How does everyone rate each team’s performance this season? Who was the team’s standout? Big Improvers? How will they go next year? etc

Schnauzer;388237 said:
There are some ridiculous comments being made on here about the weather and whether teams / players want to play etc. All I can say is that is garbage, we play cricket to play cricket. If we can get on, whether it is a little dodgy or not, we play. If it is unsafe, then do not play. We do not play matting, so unfortunately we have some differing decks on a week to week basis and unfortunately sometimes the toss of a coin does decide the fate of a game, but I wouldn't have it any other way. You win some, you lose some. That's cricket.

Bomber, the weather committee and the executive committee all do a fantastic job with donating their time week in week out, year in year out, so let’s give them a bit of slack. They have got us on the park a couple of times this season where other comps (i.e. VTCA) have been called off. So I congratulate them.

There have definitely been a few big winners this week and some big losers (in particular Barkly St) who have had their chance of playing finals come to an unfortunate end. But we cannot predict the weather. I personally would have said the Merlo / St Francis game was in the balance, so that insinuation is ludicrous.

Let’s concentrate our thoughts on the last round and a finals series that has been as close as any over the last 10 years. All 4 sides have a genuine chance to win the big one, who is good enough? Who needs to perform? Can the big time performers stand up? It is the business end of the season and the business will start in a fortnight’s time.

Good luck to all in the finals, there promises to be some enthralling contests.

How does everyone rate each team’s performance this season? Who was the team’s standout? Big Improvers? How will they go next year? etc

There have definitely been a few big winners this week and some big losers
You can say that again we were going to win outright and make a late charge
for the finals,now it looks like Mad Monday will come early.

Better go Rubble Pactholli has called a meeting(McDonalds) to plan
for next year>;):(:rolleyes:

Just a few things on the council set up for wickets....
Monday & Tuesday they water and might cut the table.
Wednesday & Thursday cut a wicket and water.
Friday roll....

The Council are far too under staffed to produce any decent wickets with 3 crews doing around 16 turf wickets.
Clubs carnt cover there wickets on a Wednesday - Thursday night due to council curators apparently not having enough time to take covers off prepare a wicket then place them back.

Rolling a wicket for 10 minutes on a friday doesnt constitute a prepared wicket more work goes into a backyard wicket at chrissy time...

Things are never going to change unless clubs have the responsibility themselves.
If this comp is to improve, clubs need to be able to prepare their own wickets...
Its time for the association to address this issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back