MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Outside orff;388252 said:
Just a few things on the council set up for wickets....
Monday & Tuesday they water and might cut the table.
Wednesday & Thursday cut a wicket and water.
Friday roll....

The Council are far too under staffed to produce any decent wickets with 3 crews doing around 16 turf wickets.
Clubs carnt cover there wickets on a Wednesday - Thursday night due to council curators apparently not having enough time to take covers off prepare a wicket then place them back.

Rolling a wicket for 10 minutes on a friday doesnt constitute a prepared wicket more work goes into a backyard wicket at chrissy time...

Things are never going to change unless clubs have the responsibility themselves.
If this comp is to improve, clubs need to be able to prepare their own wickets...
Its time for the association to address this issue..

Are we also going to change conditions when it comes to Grand Final. Lets have the pitched rolled and rolled and rolled so it totally changes they way we have played all year. We spend all year playing to find out who are the best two teams and then totally change he conditions to which we play.

Any thoughts, we have played in the last three grand finals and the wickets are totally different than the ones we play on week by week.

Council has to start to let clubs look after their own wickets.... our tracks at Morris this season have been nothing short of terrible.... two paced, varying bounce and way too much grass left on the wicket... and one stage you could see it had been rolled up one side of the pitch, back down the other side and a big miss in the middle of the deck...It's about time we, like Barkly St and the Sunshine teams were allowed to employ curators to look after the pitches... Not only would we see better wickets prepared but the option of cover thei pitches during the week to ensure play on Saturday... It's about time some batsmen friendly wickets were available during the season and not just a finals time

The fact that council havent laser levelled most tables for years has alot to do with the varying bounce and and not enough cross rolling is done to even out the decks...
Correct me if im wrong but clubs like barkly st where given a roller and mower when they were handed responsibilty of there tables by there council i think this precedent would be a good one to follow...

Well we had our table done last year and council in their wisdon decided it use it before christmas this season.

Down right stupid.

No where near ready and no where near enough preparation had been put into it.

I second any vote to let clubs look after their own wickets.

We all know how good the decks can be if the work is put in - last years Grand Finals were an example of this - they were great.

The money we dont pay the council can go to a curator who will give a crap about the wickets.

1wkatatime;388171 said:
Just worry about whats going on in your backyard, before you start making silly comments, cause they'll come back to bit your on the arse!!!

What silly comments were made?

Just responded to another post stating that I'd heard some rumors. Have a look at mycricket and you'll see there are plenty of Glenroy players who are just scraping through.

bomber27;388193 said:
Was waiting for some goose to make a comment like this. Dave, just in case you are not aware here's the comps info number, 9517 1297. Call it, listen to it and you may understand why we are not playing. Probaly should have done it in the first place, might have given you a chance not to embarass your club.

Amazing how the tables turn Woodsy.....there was a time when you were on the "other" side and throwing mud at the executive and questioning many of the individuals on their. Short memories!

I cant see a reason why all clubs couldnt attend to their grounds this weekend and inspect wicekts and make a decision with the umpire on starting play. to simply call off the weekends cricket in round 10 with clubs fighting for positions is totally wrong.

WHO are the wet weather committee!???

Just so people know.....the decision to call off turf cricket didnt effect my club East Coburg, but it did many others!

RooBoy;388440 said:
I cant see a reason why all clubs couldnt attend to their grounds this weekend and inspect wicekts and make a decision with the umpire on starting play. to simply call off the weekends cricket in round 10 with clubs fighting for positions is totally wrong.

WHO are the wet weather committee!???

RooBoy,

We had a heavy down poor of rain on thursday, steady rain for the first half of friday before the comp decided to do the right thing and call the game off on the friday night, which after that it rained from 8.30am til 11.00am on saturday morning. If you thing that you were going to bowl a ball on saturday afternoon you are joking yourself to start with. The wet weather team has got it right all year and if you have a beef with a person on it go at him not the whole team. Let me ask you this would you put your hand in your pocket and pay the umpire his money for turning up just to walk out there and say NO we are not playing today. Barkly street are the unlucky ones and i feel for them but we chose to play turf cricket and with that comes problems with weather. If we dont like it we can go and join gladdy park and get good coin instead of the ups and downs that come with turf.

16cans;388236 said:
Here's a thought, never seen the council prepare wickets b4 Thursday anyway.
All gounds under water Thurs night., steady but not heavy rain Friday until after lunch. Grounds still very heavy Friday arfo. Drizzly showers early hours Sat morn. Been raining from about 10 this morning & what the ****, its still raining. No chance of having wickets done or having their trucks get out & back without chewing up the grounds. Right early call was made.

Don't believe I'm sticking up 4 the council or some1 from Merlo.
Have 2 love the St.Andrews lads, any conspiracy theory will do.:)
Was looking forward 2 Marys giving it 2 the Heights boys 2day, not 2 worry next season will come soon enough.
Four set only positions will change after last game, most anticipated finals in years. Good Luck.

Our seconds play there 2nd's next game, who ever wins makes finals should be a good game to watch since it is on a sunday so it gives both clubs a chance to support their team mates. We have advised our bloke not to touch the ball at any time of the game when batting. Should be a good game with both side something to play for and with the heated battle from last week at the same ground. Could'nt ask for a better mad sunday

first slipper;388450 said:
RooBoy,

We had a heavy down poor of rain on thursday, steady rain for the first half of friday before the comp decided to do the right thing and call the game off on the friday night, which after that it rained from 8.30am til 11.00am on saturday morning. If you thing that you were going to bowl a ball on saturday afternoon you are joking yourself to start with. The wet weather team has got it right all year and if you have a beef with a person on it go at him not the whole team. Let me ask you this would you put your hand in your pocket and pay the umpire his money for turning up just to walk out there and say NO we are not playing today. Barkly street are the unlucky ones and i feel for them but we chose to play turf cricket and with that comes problems with weather. If we dont like it we can go and join gladdy park and get good coin instead of the ups and downs that come with turf.

Well said First Slipper. What more needs to be said.

Bobby Dazzler;388001 said:
Some rumors floating around on this. Some of them getting a bit ahead of themselves but no results on the boad.

Half a dozen in the side still only playing A Turf on the back of a lack of depth in their B Turf.

Big call Bobby, we are one of only 4 sides who will be playing after the next game.

Will you be playing finals?

There will be some very even contests during the finals this year, hopefully we can back up from our success of last year. We have a young side and a bright future ahead. It will be a big game for us this week against St Francis, so we will get a good look at where we are at in the scheme of things.

Bobby Dazzler;388416 said:
What silly comments were made?

Just responded to another post stating that I'd heard some rumors. Have a look at mycricket and you'll see there are plenty of Glenroy players who are just scraping through.

Wasn't commenting on your comments, if you read over the last few pages, alot of talk about how good Glenroy's batting line is, yet they got rolled for 114 last innings. Comments like that will bite you on the arse, and they did!!

first slipper;388450 said:
RooBoy,

well obviously you are on the WWC too.....cos its touched a nerve.

there was no rain friday afternoon and covers could of gone down friday night with an inspection in the morning. no need to call it off on friday...it should of been left to captains/umpires to make a decision. paying umpires should not even be a factor in whether turf is called off or not. im sure some clubs would be happy to pay an umpire their fee if they knew they would have a chance of playing cricket. in the old days without covers we played on many worse/wet tracks and never had a problem. the fairest decision to make would of been to leave it to the captains.......im pretty sure the WWC didnt inspect ALL wickets friday before calling it off.

Anyway thats my opinion, maybe its becasue i come from a time when in this comp we just played cricket and didnt worry about umpire fee's etc. maybe im getting too old! :cool:

RooBoy;388494 said:

there was no rain friday afternoon and covers could of gone down friday night with an inspection in the morning. no need to call it off on friday...it should of been left to captains/umpires to make a decision. paying umpires should not even be a factor in whether turf is called off or not. im sure some clubs would be happy to pay an umpire their fee if they knew they would have a chance of playing cricket. in the old days without covers we played on many worse/wet tracks and never had a problem. the fairest decision to make would of been to leave it to the captains.......im pretty sure the WWC didnt inspect ALL wickets friday before calling it off.
Anyway thats my opinion, maybe its becasue i come from a time when in this comp we just played cricket and didnt worry about umpire fee's etc. maybe im getting too old! :cool:

I have to have a chuckle about your comments.

The wickets weren't inspected as there was no point. The council informed us that they woudn't be preparing wickets. Not sure why then, we would go out and have a look at them.

And by the way, the only people I would be having a crack at, are the people on this forum who can't read when the facts are posted on here in black and white.

1wkatatime;388478 said:
Wasn't commenting on your comments, if you read over the last few pages, alot of talk about how good Glenroy's batting line is, yet they got rolled for 114 last innings. Comments like that will bite you on the arse, and they did!!

I wouldn't say that there are some big heads down at Glenroy. They are a top 4 side and will be playing finals again this season. Having said that, from a Barkly Street perspective, dismissing Glenroy for 114 was a result of some extremely tight bowling which put huge pressure on the Glenroy batsman. At the first drinks break, Glenroy were 3-9 off 20 overs with 15 maidens in between.

I've noticed that a lot of people are criticising and finding excuses for the top sides for losing against us. I can tell you why we have beaten the best sides in the comp: we have been playing extremely well and as a team, everyone in the side contributes whether it be with bat, ball or in the field and we have been able to put a lot of pressure on the opposing side.

GeeCeeCee;388469 said:
Big call Bobby, we are one of only 4 sides who will be playing after the next game.

Will you be playing finals?

There will be some very even contests during the finals this year, hopefully we can back up from our success of last year. We have a young side and a bright future ahead. It will be a big game for us this week against St Francis, so we will get a good look at where we are at in the scheme of things.

Finishing 3rd on the ladder after the regular season and being awarded the flag beacuse you drew the game in the gf due to it being weather interrupted is not what i deem succesfull.

And,Yes you have the flag, but the stars aligned to make it happen. Whenever glenroy need rain they get it, just ask barkly st.

Everyone hates St Andrews and they probably have a point as they have combative charachters and dont deal with losing well at all.

Just a note, st andrews made 350 odd declared off 60 odd overs and glenroy made 8/28o odd with umbrella fields all day and got a draw.

St andrews may be spent, but hopefully you can win one on your merits this year amd actuall win the game.

Prediction Glenroy vs St Andrews semi final a draw due to a day and a half of rain......and as much as i hate to say it hopefull st francis win it, but porb merlov glenroy final due to wash outs in semi

LOLL;388573 said:
Finishing 3rd on the ladder after the regular season and being awarded the flag beacuse you drew the game in the gf due to it being weather interrupted is not what i deem succesfull.

And,Yes you have the flag, but the stars aligned to make it happen. Whenever glenroy need rain they get it, just ask barkly st.

Everyone hates St Andrews and they probably have a point as they have combative charachters and dont deal with losing well at all.

Just a note, st andrews made 350 odd declared off 60 odd overs and glenroy made 8/28o odd with umbrella fields all day and got a draw.

St andrews may be spent, but hopefully you can win one on your merits this year amd actuall win the game.

Prediction Glenroy vs St Andrews semi final a draw due to a day and a half of rain......and as much as i hate to say it hopefull st francis win it, but porb merlov glenroy final due to wash outs in semi

First of all, good call jsonnn, you guys were the better team on the day and yes you bowled very, very well in the conditions. I take my hat off to you guys, unfortunately you were very unlucky that we didn't get on the park on Saturday. Good luck next year, play the way you did against us (and for that matter, St Francis & St Andrews), and I’m sure you'll being playing finals next year.

Loll, you have made some very silly comments. We did what we needed to do to be premiers, and yes you are right, the stars probably did align. But who wouldn't tag a FLAG? Wouldn't every team do that? You guys had your chance, you lost the final round to St Mary's, therefore dropping from 3rd to 4th. You weren't good enough to bowl us out in 90 overs. RULES ARE RULES. We played within them, and we took home a flag.

Rain did play some part in it, but we also had another couple of games washed out last year from memory, where we made big scores, only to see them washed out. From memory, both of those games, St Andrews were on the ropes. What do they say, swings and roundabouts. St Andrews might have been lucky just to play finals in 2008/09.

Let’s hope rain does not come into it this year.

RooBoy;388494 said:

What happened to the days when clubs actually wanted to play cricket no matter what the conditions? No covers but wickets got made and if it was too wet to start we waited around for hours and often got on to play after a couple of hours of wind and sun nearly always getting a RESULT. Why does the council dictate when A turf play? How many wickets are there now outside of the Moreland council control, Sunny YC, Sunny Heights,St Mary's, Barkly St, is there more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back