MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

Why wouldnt your best players play surely couldnt be fatigue. Seems to me that egos at stake the best players in your comp go missing in fear of embarrassment

Good talking point GCC thinking out of the square, cant c it happening best of 3 one day games for a GF though.
Would sides be allowed to change their teams from 1 day to the other? GF could be deciced within 2 full days.
Premiers would be worthy winners after playing 1 dayers all season & then having the ability & concentration to do it over 4 days.

Teams can change their sides from game to game, as in normal circumstances for injury, poor form etc. I agree 16 cans, can't see it happening though.

Talk about radical ideas the first INLAND BEACH CRICKET GROUND has been developed at Sewell Reserve. Pity it won't get tested out before footy season. Beach footy there ya go another idea!

A grade tips for the round 7
Not much rain after Wednesday should see games at least get a start this weekend.

East Coburg v St Andrews: Another wet week saw Dads Army at St Andrews avoid the hot weather last Saturday so recovery shouldn't be an issue this week and will be too strong for East Coburg.
Glenroy v Sunshine YCW: Glenroy are the stand out form team so far this season and should be celebrating back at the bar early against Sunshine YCW who won't be suited to Hosken Reserve.
St Francis v West Coburg: These 2 sides were bowled out for 59 and 58 in the same week so form won't help but with St Francis likely to make at least 1 change to their team this week they should get over the line.
Barkly Street v The Socials: Barkly Street are undefeated against teams who are expected to feature near the bottom this year and Socials are coming of a sore of 250 + at the postage stamp at Cole 2. Barkly Street may just get over the line on the bigger ground.
St Marys v Pascoe Vale: Not much to say about this one, St Marys by 4.50pm
Haig Fawkner v Sunshine Heights: Probably the grudge match of the round with coach Sammy Kandage guiding Haig Fawner against his old club Sunshine Heights. Played at Mutton Reserve for the first time this year it may come down to fielding as there will be plenty of chances given on that deck. Haig by 2 wickets or 15 runs.

playing our 4 eleven well called chump

bomber 2000 , have you got anything positive to say ?

4 th eleven , well that would mean you available for selection !
you boys way to serious .

Gee Cee Cee , that isnt a bad idea . how can you play 80-90 % of total games for season one dayers , than play 3-4 day finals ?

strange season to date , get on the socials . the broady boys all the way .

Starting to like true view's inland beach cricket, enough sand on most grounds now, tons of rain still to come, another idea for delegates meeting next week.
One rule though, no budgie smugglers to be worn by most of u blokes.

Four days of fine/warm weather b4 today.
How do the council find time to prepare Hallam & allow covers to be put down b4 the rain came today (wed) but cant find the time to prepare other grounds in the area?
Always thought clubs paid the same rates as others.
Will be interesting to see if Merlo actually get on this weekend with mmvca comp to be called off again.

What sort of side do you boys look like putting up this Sunday, hopefully a good one. It raining now so you should all be fresh given you wont play Saturday.
If the players named play for us then Im backing you will be in a fair bit of strife

What sort of side do you boys look like putting up this Sunday, hopefully a good one. It raining now so you should all be fresh given you wont play Saturday.
If the players named play for us then Im backing you will be in a fair bit of strife

Dont think a strong one Gladdy, not much interest being shown. Pity would of been good to have a look at.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

It would appear that there is selective work being done if Hallam is being prepared by council early, Same could be done for all grounds if thats the case and a light Clip Friday with all clubs to roll their own wickets saturday morning. 20 years ago all clubs rolled there own wickets everyweek to improve play now most clubs dont seem to bother

Anyway rain is clearing and we should be OK for play as long as the council don't do anything silly like water the wickets over the next 3 days. Like they have done in the past! The sooner we can prepare our own wickets the better for the competition. Yes cost may be an issue but we all have retired people around the clubs who could learn the ropes and pass on as years go on.

Maybe clubs who are located close together could share curators and costs. Time to think out of the square.

Cricket should be def played this week and if we don't i might head down to Glady they seem to be s t ruggling the $$$$ must of dried up..

Remember school days king g man.
Well done for proving us all correct about the doubts we had about you.
Bye Bye enjoy ur non existence.:D
I do recall my school days 16 cans , I wasn't into king g man at all, unlike yourself!!! Maybe you should drink another can !!!

Can see an uproar coming if matches go ahead on weekend & games abandoned on Moreland prepared decks if any more rain comes due to not being allowed to be covered tonight.

Moreland prepared grounds not allowed to be covered tonight, outside Moreland prepared grounds allowed to be covered tonight.
Reason for this would be???

Yes 16 cans it does seem a little ODD however the reason is quite simple and not something that clubs or MMVCA would have much control over. It would appear that all MORELAND MMVCA wickets were CUT ONLY today (Friday) and all wickets will be rolled on Saturday morning. To cover wickets tonight it would require ALL clubs to ensure the covers were removed quite early in the morning so council could complete preparation there may also be the odd wicket still needing some drying time in the open air so they can be rolled.
Add a Friday night and couple of drinks you could almost guarantee that there would be at least 1 club who wouldn't get their wicket uncovered in time creating another issue.
However go back to my earlier comment on clubs preparing their own wickets and then we could more than likely avoid these situations. I do know that some wickets were ready for rolling today so I'm not sure why they weren't and only the softer ones left for Saturday morning.

Fingers crossed only a light sprinkle tonight and all will be good.

Finals predictions already!
2 games played without any team showing anything special.
Low scores in most games.
30 points could get a finals birth this year.
It may come down to who can scrounge a 10 point result from the four 2 day games after Xmas.
Glenroy deserve to be favourites as reigning premiers, St Andrews still look like the challenger HOWEVER my sources tell me they are only getting older and might struggle come the hotter days late Jan - March. Certainly wont be able to bat 1st everyweek this could be an issue with players who are now struggling to bat and field. Need to bat first to rest players during fielding times. They have some younger players comming but still 2 or 3 years away from making up for the older guys as they drop away. St Francis bowled out for 59 would appear to be well below past years performances could be the start of a decline. Will their latest recruit make a difference?. East Coburg don't look too good at this stage bowled out for 98 and 7 players scored below 5 not much depth with the lower grades going back to the well of past old players doesn't help their outlook, West Coburg just got over the line against Paco may not be able to cope with the loss of bowling stocks to be a threat, St Marys could be the dark horse 2 games 2 decent scorers however beaten by the side that was bowled out for 58 one week later need to see more, Sunshine YCW have had the best draw so far BUT fell to Socials on the smaller ground their season will depend on how many games they play at home with their spinners being the difference. Can't see them beating sides on council prepared wickets. Sunshine Heights smashed by Glenroy then route St Francis need to see more here. The Socials nothing much has changed here always competative and if given a sniff seem to be able to scrounge a win, good fighting spirit but will only get them to 2 or 3 wins. Haig Fawkner the mail here is they are on their way up but could take another year to be a threat huge turnover in cattle this year and a lot of players 15, 16, 17 and 18 years of age playing in A and B Turf. Will improve as the year goes on but may leave their run too late to make finals. Pascoe Vale are having the year from hell off the field and from last rounds results the depth is a big issue also. All clubs go through it and its just their time to deal with it. Tough decisions need to be made and time will tell. Lets hope they get through it and come back over the next year or 2. Barkly Street scraped home against East and Paco nothing to write home about but a win is a win could be the start that gets them in to 4th spot. These wins against the bottom of the table are going to be worth gold come finals time.
All in all a weird start to weird season and a lot can change over the next 3 or 4 games (IF IT STOPS RAINING) Results may also change once clubs can select their teams on ability and not who is available Sundays. Need to get back to Saturday cricket.

Barkly St have picked up an Old Scrapper named Andrew Mosca, best junior cricketer I saw in the late 80s early 90s, nearly 40 now making a come back but very good all rounder. Back to his old stomping ground at the old MCC & one to watch!!

Yes 16 cans it does seem a little ODD however the reason is quite simple and not something that clubs or MMVCA would have much control over. It would appear that all MORELAND MMVCA wickets were CUT ONLY today (Friday) and all wickets will be rolled on Saturday morning. To cover wickets tonight it would require ALL clubs to ensure the covers were removed quite early in the morning so council could complete preparation there may also be the odd wicket still needing some drying time in the open air so they can be rolled.
Add a Friday night and couple of drinks you could almost guarantee that there would be at least 1 club who wouldn't get their wicket uncovered in time creating another issue.
However go back to my earlier comment on clubs preparing their own wickets and then we could more than likely avoid these situations. I do know that some wickets were ready for rolling today so I'm not sure why they weren't and only the softer ones left for Saturday morning.

Fingers crossed only a light sprinkle tonight and all will be good.

Keen us mustard as is everyone but our deck looked very ordinary tonight at 5 & will take a miracle...rain or or no rain to get one prepared for 1pm tomorrow..

bomber 2000 , have you got anything positive to say ?

4 th eleven , well that would mean you available for selection !
you boys way to serious .

Gee Cee Cee , that isnt a bad idea . how can you play 80-90 % of total games for season one dayers , than play 3-4 day finals ?

strange season to date , get on the socials . the broady boys all the way .
nwca won the senior game mmvca the vets good day had by all at the centrals

5 out of 6 aint bad.
St Andrews managed to fall over the line against East Coburg.
Glenroy had early drinks at the bar after accounting for Sunshine YCW with ease.
St Francis had a casual walk in the park against a struggling West Coburg.
Barkly Street chased down a low 65 against Socials but did loose 5 wickets in doing so.
St Marys as expected easily over Pascoe Vale.
And the one I got wrong:
Sunshine Heights easily over Haig Fawkner who seem to be finding the return to A Grade a bit of a struggle.

Tips for next week coming soon.
Here's an early tip.

Which player/Batsman won't field next week?

Saw one of the best acts of good sportsmanship I can remember for a long time on the weekend. In a very tense tight run chase Dom from pacco called a short run off one of his teammates right at an important time. Reminded us all how cricket needs to be. Well done mate, top class effort and highly respected by everyone at West Coburg

Jonty,
We had the pleasure of the same great sportsmanship from Dom on the weekend. When he was run out and the kid at square leg was not 100% sure Dom walked to save putting his fellow team mate the square leg umpire under any pressure. Pascoe vale might struggle for the next couple of years while they rebuild but at least Dom is teaching them the correct sprit of the game. I played footy at a club that lost 19 out of 22 senior players in one year and it took us 5 years to rebuild but now seeking the rewards with the last 2 A grade flags.

Keep up the good work by showing this comp what sportsmanship is

Having a look over the results and whispers over the weekend, I have been told by a couple of the St Andrews blokes they were very lucky to fall over the line and that easts have improved out of sight with a couple of bowlers, a spinner and a good bat. West's dont seem to be firing, but the barkley st boys on fire and Pvale got a paddling.

Back