MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

T
What did poor old Robbo get up to to win this vote! ive played against plenty of "losers" in my time, not sure if Robbo is that bad.

Thanks Rooboy....a few heated words said between me and a couple of St Marys players....guess the old days of whats said on the field is left there are over.....but if they are that offended I apologise, i've tried to be conscious to just play the game this year and not worry about the other shit, but, I was frustrated we were bowled out for a low score in what was a big game for West Coburg

T

Thanks Rooboy....a few heated words said between me and a couple of St Marys players....guess the old days of whats said on the field is left there are over.....but if they are that offended I apologise, i've tried to be conscious to just play the game this year and not worry about the other shit, but, I was frustrated we were bowled out for a low score in what was a big game for West Coburg

well done Robbo and i agree what is said on the field should stay there unless its quiet personal or vilification. We've had a few racial / ethnic comments made to our players over the years at East's but most of the stuff is just nonsense. Some clubs like the banter, it was probably more common some years ago when i was playing. a lot of choice words on the field but as long as you have a beer afterwards most is forgotten

I fear the MMVCA will fold in the next season or 2....I played VTCA for many years at Parkville District and whilst the standard is better our comp is unique and its a great comp. I love that we finish once one team has won most of the time and that you get to play in a close vicinity to your home ground. If 2 or more clubs do leave for the VTCA it will be the beginning of the end for the MMVCA. I lay the majority of the blame for that on the Moreland City Council who force us to play on below par wickets week in and week out. The time has definitely come for clubs to be able to take care of their own wickets and remove this responsibilty from the council. The executive must do EVERYTHING in their power to see this happen

Robbo you could not be more on the money. I have played VTCA this year and the ONLY reason I left was for better decks to play on. I can absolutely confirm that the worst deck we have played on this year was a good as a good deck last year. Its incredible to see how when some effort is put in - the results come. Moreland council need to return the upkeep back to the clubs and reduce their fees. If not the exodus of players will continue and whole clubs will follow. The extreme was Yarraville's deck last week where the only comparison I could make was it looked like the Hume Highway. :p Rock Hard, Straw colour, great pace and great carry. That curator knows what he is doing....

I fear the MMVCA will fold in the next season or 2....I played VTCA for many years at Parkville District and whilst the standard is better our comp is unique and its a great comp. I love that we finish once one team has won most of the time and that you get to play in a close vicinity to your home ground. If 2 or more clubs do leave for the VTCA it will be the beginning of the end for the MMVCA. I lay the majority of the blame for that on the Moreland City Council who force us to play on below par wickets week in and week out. The time has definitely come for clubs to be able to take care of their own wickets and remove this responsibilty from the council. The executive must do EVERYTHING in their power to see this happen

If both St Andrews and St Francis do go to VTCA it will hurt the comp but it will not help the VTCA because know they are going to have 3 wickets that are prepared by Moreland City Council in there league. The only way to play on better wickets is for every club to put their hand in their pockets and pay for the up keep of their own ground. We done it last year and it cost us $30,000 and apart from saturday's wicket we see it as the best money we have spent. As for what is said on the ground stays on the ground i fully agree with. But what happen to West Coburg staying for one drink aleast on saturday night by the time St Mary's had put the ropes around the wicket they were gone. I understand it was a big game for both sides but atleast have 1 drink with us

. But what happen to West Coburg staying for one drink aleast on saturday night by the time St Mary's had put the ropes around the wicket they were gone. I understand it was a big game for both sides but atleast have 1 drink with us[/quote]

I promise it wasnt sour grapes. St Marys outplayed us, plain and simple. We wanted to go watch West 2s in their game,but, that's a fair call. We should have had at least a beer after the game.

People's prediction for top 4?

Glenroy
Barkley St
St Mary's
St Francis ( Just over St Andrew's )

Can anyone inform me what is the qualifications for the bowling and batting averages? Has it changed since the season has been changed to all 1 dayer's or does it stay the same..

As for Club's staying for a drink it should be mandatory for each club to stay and support the home club after all we are just a bunch of blokes playing cricket to stay away from our partners for a full day lol

lots of rumours about clubs leaving to VTCA.....are they true?? Ive heard Glenroy, St Andrews now St Francis........surely they all couldnt leave next season the comp would be destroyed!

Speaking to the St Francis boys last night and they said they are staying.

People's prediction for top 4?

Glenroy
Barkley St
St Mary's
St Francis ( Just over St Andrew's )

Can anyone inform me what is the qualifications for the bowling and batting averages? Has it changed since the season has been changed to all 1 dayer's or does it stay the same..

As for Club's staying for a drink it should be mandatory for each club to stay and support the home club after all we are just a bunch of blokes playing cricket to stay away from our partners for a full day lol

My top 4 will look like this

Glenroy
St francis
St Marys
Barkly street

Watch out for the Socials coming from the back of the field to pinch 3rd or 4th spot

Bowling Averages = B Chisholm (Glenroy)
Batting Averages = S Babo (St Francis) 2 not out will get him over the line
Champion Player = S Zimmer (St Mary's)

Robbo you could not be more on the money. I have played VTCA this year and the ONLY reason I left was for better decks to play on. I can absolutely confirm that the worst deck we have played on this year was a good as a good deck last year. Its incredible to see how when some effort is put in - the results come. Moreland council need to return the upkeep back to the clubs and reduce their fees. If not the exodus of players will continue and whole clubs will follow. The extreme was Yarraville's deck last week where the only comparison I could make was it looked like the Hume Highway. :p Rock Hard, Straw colour, great pace and great carry. That curator knows what he is doing....

Its fair enough that we all want to play on good pitches, thats a given, but to say that is the only reason you left is a little wierd.

The only reason you should play cricket is to try and have some fun, win and share some laughs withg your teammates. Have a few beers etc.

The vast majority of us are just hacks playing cricket so lets harden up and as long as we get consistent games we should not complain. The decks this year considering the weather have been great when we have played. Much better than in previous years, maybe i am alone on this but the deck should not have any bearing on which comp you play. Its the club and the people in the club that you play with that shoudl dictate whether you stay or go.

I am not having a go at you, just htink we are precious at time re the pitches considering our standard and as such on a personal level would rather stay in mmvca and play locally then travel the city to play a so called higher grade.

Its fair enough that we all want to play on good pitches, thats a given, but to say that is the only reason you left is a little wierd.

The only reason you should play cricket is to try and have some fun, win and share some laughs withg your teammates. Have a few beers etc.

The vast majority of us are just hacks playing cricket so lets harden up and as long as we get consistent games we should not complain. The decks this year considering the weather have been great when we have played. Much better than in previous years, maybe i am alone on this but the deck should not have any bearing on which comp you play. Its the club and the people in the club that you play with that shoudl dictate whether you stay or go.

I am not having a go at you, just htink we are precious at time re the pitches considering our standard and as such on a personal level would rather stay in mmvca and play locally then travel the city to play a so called higher grade.

Fair enough LOLL i respect the opinion. For me everyone basically knows I played at Easts and I think they are an awesome club. Would certainly play there again. I am getting older and wanted to enjoy playing on better conditions before the body really starts to give way!

For me the comp and the conditions have a huge part to play. The club can be great and you can have a great time with your mates but I like to try and get a good performance out there too. No one enjoys going out there and making SFA because you have to play on unprepared wickets.

Great bats like Parker, Babo, etc would make so much more again on the strips I play on now! I am only a hack so these strips allow me to make a few runs! :p lol.

If the decks are better this year then thats awesome but the last few years have been a joke in my opinion and it was certainly the reason I changed.

Also I think most clubs you play at are good clubs with good people. I am yet to come across a club I have played against that was full of morons - you get the odd one or two but hey - I am sure every club has their favourite in house well loved moron! hehehehehe - to them - they are just a 'character' :p

i wonder what has happened to that bloke pelican player? i loved his banter on here with fresh prince last season, and now with his pascoe vale united being unbeaten this year i thought he would be on here telling everyone about it?
Hopefully mr olympic rings from st.marys can get amongst the runs this week (i'm backing you chris)
i have also heard the rumor about the socials and pascoe vale sports club in merge talks from next season! interesting times ahead i feel!!

and lastly any truth in the rumor that Ascot Vale cricket club will be moving to fairbairn park next year due to being unwilling to change there name to a moreland coucil based club?? i am fairly sure someone will look at dunstan res if this is the case

LOLL - If this comp is to prosper & become stronger, which is what I'm sure most clubs would want, then standards have to be lifted. To attract/keep players pitches & outfields are very important. Our ground only receives rolling on a Friday - & that is weather permitting. We are lucky if this lasts for 20 minutes. I can see why players have come and gone from this comp over the years due to conditions, but the same issues keep raising their heads. If clubs are serious a motion should be raised to look after your own wickets. In the comp you suggested is a "so called higher grade" this has been occurring successfully for a number of years. Most councils simply cut the outfield & do the initial wicker prep (at the same council rates!) then the club manages the rest of the prep. Time this comp moved with the times - & clubs also

LOLL - If this comp is to prosper & become stronger, which is what I'm sure most clubs would want, then standards have to be lifted. To attract/keep players pitches & outfields are very important. Our ground only receives rolling on a Friday - & that is weather permitting. We are lucky if this lasts for 20 minutes. I can see why players have come and gone from this comp over the years due to conditions, but the same issues keep raising their heads. If clubs are serious a motion should be raised to look after your own wickets. In the comp you suggested is a "so called higher grade" this has been occurring successfully for a number of years. Most councils simply cut the outfield & do the initial wicker prep (at the same council rates!) then the club manages the rest of the prep. Time this comp moved with the times - & clubs also

Get a grip on reality 'Howla'. It's Park cricket. Lighten up will you.

Fair enough LOLL i respect the opinion. For me everyone basically knows I played at Easts and I think they are an awesome club. Would certainly play there again. I am getting older and wanted to enjoy playing on better conditions before the body really starts to give way!

For me the comp and the conditions have a huge part to play. The club can be great and you can have a great time with your mates but I like to try and get a good performance out there too. No one enjoys going out there and making SFA because you have to play on unprepared wickets.

Great bats like Parker, Babo, etc would make so much more again on the strips I play on now! I am only a hack so these strips allow me to make a few runs! :p lol.

If the decks are better this year then thats awesome but the last few years have been a joke in my opinion and it was certainly the reason I changed.

Also I think most clubs you play at are good clubs with good people. I am yet to come across a club I have played against that was full of morons - you get the odd one or two but hey - I am sure every club has their favourite in house well loved moron! hehehehehe - to them - they are just a 'character' :p

So no interest in returning to this competition i take it 'bell'. One thing our comp does need is good blokes (forget their cricket ability for one minute) playing, and i for one enjoyed playing against you and having a chat after the game.

My top 4 will look like this

Glenroy
St francis
St Marys
Barkly street

Watch out for the Socials coming from the back of the field to pinch 3rd or 4th spot

Bowling Averages = B Chisholm (Glenroy)
Batting Averages = S Babo (St Francis) 2 not out will get him over the line
Champion Player = S Zimmer (St Mary's)

My tips:
Top four as per first slipper, he is a good judge.

Bowl Ave: Chisholm, he is the standout bowler in the competition at this stage
Batt Ave: Zimmer, he has blossomed beautifully this year in his new role. (St Francis have a couple of hard games in the run home)
Champion Player: Chisholm / Zimmer. Joint champions.

Back