mmvca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: mmvca

Schnauzer;286205 said:
WAL05, I think you're a little harsh on Phil Eilers, he has been a stalwart of the club and everytime we have played against them he is the big wicket. That may have changed this season with the form of Babo, but still, i think he can change a game off his own bat and he cost us a semi final a couple of years ago (i know things can change overnight). Not sure about Dave Jolley or Nev as we play them all after xmas.

In response to your question, who are all the young gun batsman coming through? Babo and Chris Pipe are both young guns, and i don't know Chris David, but all the others guys who are in the Top 10 for runs this season would be over 30 (Harry from Sunshine may be younger than 30 though).

Phil is always a big wicket but his unorthodox style is my biggest issue with him. he may score runs but they are often from big slashes, you are always a chance against phil because he has no regard for the field he just goes hard and on the small grounds he has been lucky enough to play on over the years many balls go over the fence. i am not doubting that he can hit a ball but many baseballers im sure can hit a ball well too. i pose a question to everyone. who would you prefer out of the old men, phil eilers or dave jolley?
i would always choose a batsmen who plays correctly over a big swinger. i mean as blokes and team mates i think phil would be the choice as he seems to be a nice guy although he can be quiet cocky at the crease. Phils cockiness does not even compare to that of jolleys however. that might be what you need to be a good bat in this comp!!!

Schnauzer;286205 said:
WAL05, I think you're a little harsh on Phil Eilers, he has been a stalwart of the club and everytime we have played against them he is the big wicket. That may have changed this season with the form of Babo, but still, i think he can change a game off his own bat and he cost us a semi final a couple of years ago (i know things can change overnight). Not sure about Dave Jolley or Nev as we play them all after xmas.

In response to your question, who are all the young gun batsman coming through? Babo and Chris Pipe are both young guns, and i don't know Chris David, but all the others guys who are in the Top 10 for runs this season would be over 30 (Harry from Sunshine may be younger than 30 though).

Phil is always a big wicket but his unorthodox style is my biggest issue with him. he may score runs but they are often from big slashes, you are always a chance against phil because he has no regard for the field he just goes hard and on the small grounds he has been lucky enough to play on over the years many balls go over the fence. i am not doubting that he can hit a ball but many baseballers im sure can hit a ball well too. i pose a question to everyone. who would you prefer out of the old men, phil eilers or dave jolley?
i would always choose a batsmen who plays correctly over a big swinger. i mean as blokes and team mates i think phil would be the choice as he seems to be a nice guy although he can be quiet cocky at the crease. Phils cockiness does not even compare to that of jolleys however. that might be what you need to be a good bat in this comp!!!

wal05;286298 said:

Wal05 are you telling me Phil is the only guy in the comp who plays like this? You need to get to more the games. Patient batsmen is what this comp lacks, Babo has shown if you wait for the bad one enough will come your way but he is happy to wait and be patient. Jolley tries to bully the opposition right from the start and works on the theory that attack is the best form of defence and until now he has been very successful at it. I think you would take either one of them because they both make runs and if they get going runs at a very quick rate.
Too many batsmen that play in this comp have very little respect for the opposition bowling at them and try and call the shots right from the start. There are some good batsmen in this competition and people would speak about them alot more if they didn't throw their wicket away in the manner they do. Bowlers get the lion share of the spoils because the decks can be bias towards them and the batsmen give them a chance every ball. I wouldn't mind being a bowler in this comp.

wal05;286298 said:

Wal05 are you telling me Phil is the only guy in the comp who plays like this? You need to get to more the games. Patient batsmen is what this comp lacks, Babo has shown if you wait for the bad one enough will come your way but he is happy to wait and be patient. Jolley tries to bully the opposition right from the start and works on the theory that attack is the best form of defence and until now he has been very successful at it. I think you would take either one of them because they both make runs and if they get going runs at a very quick rate.
Too many batsmen that play in this comp have very little respect for the opposition bowling at them and try and call the shots right from the start. There are some good batsmen in this competition and people would speak about them alot more if they didn't throw their wicket away in the manner they do. Bowlers get the lion share of the spoils because the decks can be bias towards them and the batsmen give them a chance every ball. I wouldn't mind being a bowler in this comp.

bomber27;286281 said:
Not sure how that works. You've admitted that he makes alot of runs and has done it over a long period.
In my books that makes him a very good bat. Phil's always the wicket that we celebrate the hardest when playing St Francis.
Wal, would be interested in your thoughts on what age constitutes old in cricket. I'd have Punky in the top five bats in the comp at the moment and he's no spring chicken. Sorry Punk:D

At our level of cricket i think that 34 is getting old. We are playing park cricket here and most of us dont train particularly hard i wouldnt have thought. Most of us work full time jobs and play cricket to enjoy some time with our mates and when you hit your mid 30s your body starts feeling it more and your vision begins dropping off a little. obviously there are exceptions but i would be happy saying 35 is over the hill. Punky does a great job with the bat and has had a solid start to the year. i feel that he restricts his game though and plays for the team. he spends plenty of time at the crease and builds partnerships. im sure i would not offend Punk when i say that he knows his weaknesses and covers them well with his defense.

bomber27;286281 said:
Not sure how that works. You've admitted that he makes alot of runs and has done it over a long period.
In my books that makes him a very good bat. Phil's always the wicket that we celebrate the hardest when playing St Francis.
Wal, would be interested in your thoughts on what age constitutes old in cricket. I'd have Punky in the top five bats in the comp at the moment and he's no spring chicken. Sorry Punk:D

At our level of cricket i think that 34 is getting old. We are playing park cricket here and most of us dont train particularly hard i wouldnt have thought. Most of us work full time jobs and play cricket to enjoy some time with our mates and when you hit your mid 30s your body starts feeling it more and your vision begins dropping off a little. obviously there are exceptions but i would be happy saying 35 is over the hill. Punky does a great job with the bat and has had a solid start to the year. i feel that he restricts his game though and plays for the team. he spends plenty of time at the crease and builds partnerships. im sure i would not offend Punk when i say that he knows his weaknesses and covers them well with his defense.

Guru14;286312 said:

i agree 100% that too many batsmen throw their wickets away in this comp but i am not in any way saying that phil eilers is the only reckless batsmen in the comp because there are plenty but not many of them have scored the amount of runs he has. i just think his time is up but the remainder of this season will tell. why did he not play the first few games?

Guru14;286312 said:

i agree 100% that too many batsmen throw their wickets away in this comp but i am not in any way saying that phil eilers is the only reckless batsmen in the comp because there are plenty but not many of them have scored the amount of runs he has. i just think his time is up but the remainder of this season will tell. why did he not play the first few games?

wal05;286313 said:

I've been saying this for awhile now....Age catches up to people in different ways though...With me I know I'm finished. But there are others who just want to keep playing and I say good luck to them. But it's not for everyone..

wal05;286313 said:

I've been saying this for awhile now....Age catches up to people in different ways though...With me I know I'm finished. But there are others who just want to keep playing and I say good luck to them. But it's not for everyone..

Hirdy05_;286319 said:

I think boys once you hit a certain age it's more about the recovery than anything else. An alert mind will always get you through most days it's when physically it's harder to recover then that impacts on you mentally with regard to concentrating and pushing through the old pain barrier. The barrier which is much easier to push through when we were 25-28!

Hirdy05_;286319 said:

I think boys once you hit a certain age it's more about the recovery than anything else. An alert mind will always get you through most days it's when physically it's harder to recover then that impacts on you mentally with regard to concentrating and pushing through the old pain barrier. The barrier which is much easier to push through when we were 25-28!

Age is no barrier for me. Couldn't hit the ball at 25 and nothings changed at 35. :)
The only benefits of playing now, rather then ten years ago is that those green cans taste so much better after a day in the field.

Age is no barrier for me. Couldn't hit the ball at 25 and nothings changed at 35. :)
The only benefits of playing now, rather then ten years ago is that those green cans taste so much better after a day in the field.

wal05;286313 said:

I would have to say that the first comment is correct, you certainly start to feel it more, and it takes longer to "recover" between Saturdays. However, as a 35yo, there is no way I would think I am "over the hill" and if I could actually get the time to play, should still make a reasonable amount of runs in this competition. Certainly, 99.9% of people are past their peak at this age, but alot of guys can play a very good cricket standard into their 40's.
I would also suggest that the reason most of the top run scorers are "elderly" shows that they have learnt as juniors/youngsters the correct way to go about an innings, no matter what the conditions. Whereas nowadays, most young cricketers grow up on a diet of one-day and 20/20 cricket where everything is favoured to make runs, so they try and emulate it and have no patience. If the wicket is "doing a bit", they have no idea how to tough it out. It certainly is a problem down at Barkly Street, and I would say with most clubs it would be a similar thing.

wal05;286313 said:

I would have to say that the first comment is correct, you certainly start to feel it more, and it takes longer to "recover" between Saturdays. However, as a 35yo, there is no way I would think I am "over the hill" and if I could actually get the time to play, should still make a reasonable amount of runs in this competition. Certainly, 99.9% of people are past their peak at this age, but alot of guys can play a very good cricket standard into their 40's.
I would also suggest that the reason most of the top run scorers are "elderly" shows that they have learnt as juniors/youngsters the correct way to go about an innings, no matter what the conditions. Whereas nowadays, most young cricketers grow up on a diet of one-day and 20/20 cricket where everything is favoured to make runs, so they try and emulate it and have no patience. If the wicket is "doing a bit", they have no idea how to tough it out. It certainly is a problem down at Barkly Street, and I would say with most clubs it would be a similar thing.

All valid points guys, the one thing that we are really pushing at our club at the moment is making the bowler get you out. How many times does this actually happen? I would say less than 10%. Batsmen always, nearly always, get themselves out and this could be due to bowlers tying them down etc, but at the end of the day it is usually a poor shot that gets you out rather than the bowler clean bowling you or taking the out side edge. Not sure who mentioned it, but i agree the wickets in this comp are bowler friendly compared to the VTCA where i played before here. Where it was a much more even competition between bat & ball.

All valid points guys, the one thing that we are really pushing at our club at the moment is making the bowler get you out. How many times does this actually happen? I would say less than 10%. Batsmen always, nearly always, get themselves out and this could be due to bowlers tying them down etc, but at the end of the day it is usually a poor shot that gets you out rather than the bowler clean bowling you or taking the out side edge. Not sure who mentioned it, but i agree the wickets in this comp are bowler friendly compared to the VTCA where i played before here. Where it was a much more even competition between bat & ball.

Schnauzer;286344 said:

Schnauzer I too played in the VTCA and I agree with you. As a batsmen with the ball coming onto the bat made the challenge of batsmen vs bowler a much more even contest. I always thought the harder pitches helped both the batsmen and the bowlers because they gave both a chance

Schnauzer;286344 said:

Schnauzer I too played in the VTCA and I agree with you. As a batsmen with the ball coming onto the bat made the challenge of batsmen vs bowler a much more even contest. I always thought the harder pitches helped both the batsmen and the bowlers because they gave both a chance

bomber27;286327 said:

Me Too Mate

bomber27;286327 said:

Me Too Mate

wal05;286313 said:

This "age" topic would have to be one of the most innacurate ones posted on this site.

34 too old for "park" cricket at a low level???? Yes the body would take longer to recover and perhaps your not at your physical peak, but playing this level you can not only get but also dominate well into your 40's.

I love how people say they have a young side, and should improve blah blah bah.

It comes down to TALENT. Age is totally irrelevant as there are as many bad young players as well as mid range and old. Just because you are young in cricketing terms does not mean you can play. i have seen that many young guns who are promising turn to nothing beacuse we pump them up beacuse of their age.

In fact, the younger guys dont have the development that the "oldies" do as they play nad will play less cricket and if your young and playing in this comp, i am sorry to say, but most would have to be sub standard cricketers. (like me) I would say only actually 1-2 young guys per team are guns, the rest just make the numbers. Most play in the comp to play with their mates, just the "oldies" do

It might seem harsh, but its true. i am 28 and should be at my peak, but i am not getting any better and have been the same for years (terrible). To say once you reach a magical figure in age means you cant cut it is stupid.

Too much emphasis is made on age. If your any good you play, if not oyu dont. Surely all clubs would like young talent coming through, but they have to be able to play. Training once a week wont help there development, only advise form a few old heads in their team/club will improve their cricket.

If you guys wont pick phil, we will have him.

Also, this post not directed at you, just a general rant, but someone said punky bats to his limitations and to help the team. HOW DARE HE DO THAT. How dare he limit his weaknesses. Its called smarts and the only way cricketers learn this is by playing. If the old guys stopped playing in this comp it would fall over in 2 secs.

Get a grip lads.

p.s sorry for the essay

wal05;286313 said:

This "age" topic would have to be one of the most innacurate ones posted on this site.

34 too old for "park" cricket at a low level???? Yes the body would take longer to recover and perhaps your not at your physical peak, but playing this level you can not only get but also dominate well into your 40's.

I love how people say they have a young side, and should improve blah blah bah.

It comes down to TALENT. Age is totally irrelevant as there are as many bad young players as well as mid range and old. Just because you are young in cricketing terms does not mean you can play. i have seen that many young guns who are promising turn to nothing beacuse we pump them up beacuse of their age.

In fact, the younger guys dont have the development that the "oldies" do as they play nad will play less cricket and if your young and playing in this comp, i am sorry to say, but most would have to be sub standard cricketers. (like me) I would say only actually 1-2 young guys per team are guns, the rest just make the numbers. Most play in the comp to play with their mates, just the "oldies" do

It might seem harsh, but its true. i am 28 and should be at my peak, but i am not getting any better and have been the same for years (terrible). To say once you reach a magical figure in age means you cant cut it is stupid.

Too much emphasis is made on age. If your any good you play, if not oyu dont. Surely all clubs would like young talent coming through, but they have to be able to play. Training once a week wont help there development, only advise form a few old heads in their team/club will improve their cricket.

If you guys wont pick phil, we will have him.

Also, this post not directed at you, just a general rant, but someone said punky bats to his limitations and to help the team. HOW DARE HE DO THAT. How dare he limit his weaknesses. Its called smarts and the only way cricketers learn this is by playing. If the old guys stopped playing in this comp it would fall over in 2 secs.

Get a grip lads.

p.s sorry for the essay

Deano like i said in my post..Everyone is different.

I'm 38 and I know I'm done, I know my reflexes are nowhere near where they use to be, I know my eyes can't see as well as they used to (not to mention the guts grown enormously). Other people want to keep playing, like I said good on them. But for me I will retire after a career spanning 3 decades in the CDCA / MMVCA knowing I played at times some good cricket, that I played for a side that at out peak dominated both the CDCA and MMVCA..also meeting some sensational blokes along the way. I have mates that are still playing that I played with and I wish them all the best and I know they will make runs and take wickets at the highest level until they retire because they want.

So I'll sit on the boundry now and watch, drink a few cans and bag the shit out of the old blokes!!!!

Jesus, sounds like i'm fricking dying doesn't it!!!

Deano like i said in my post..Everyone is different.

I'm 38 and I know I'm done, I know my reflexes are nowhere near where they use to be, I know my eyes can't see as well as they used to (not to mention the guts grown enormously). Other people want to keep playing, like I said good on them. But for me I will retire after a career spanning 3 decades in the CDCA / MMVCA knowing I played at times some good cricket, that I played for a side that at out peak dominated both the CDCA and MMVCA..also meeting some sensational blokes along the way. I have mates that are still playing that I played with and I wish them all the best and I know they will make runs and take wickets at the highest level until they retire because they want.

So I'll sit on the boundry now and watch, drink a few cans and bag the shit out of the old blokes!!!!

Jesus, sounds like i'm fricking dying doesn't it!!!

bomber27;286327 said:

bloody oath they do bomber

bomber27;286327 said:

To the Sunshine heights boys I would like to send my condolensces on the passing of club and Sunshine cricket assoc.LEDGEND Wayne Lewis a true competitor and a outstanding gentlemen of the game RIP LOUEY

To the Sunshine heights boys I would like to send my condolensces on the passing of club and Sunshine cricket assoc.LEDGEND Wayne Lewis a true competitor and a outstanding gentlemen of the game RIP LOUEY

gloves74;286908 said:

what happened to wayne Gloves74?

gloves74;286908 said:

what happened to wayne Gloves74?

essendon2000;286741 said:

Ok boys here we are on a Thursday with the next game around the corner who do we think might get the chocolates this round. Some good games coming up!

essendon2000;286741 said:

Ok boys here we are on a Thursday with the next game around the corner who do we think might get the chocolates this round. Some good games coming up!

Deano, you might have pull up, your last two posts (wet weather and old blokes) have been way to intelligent for this forum.
I don't think we can afford to raise the bar.

OK tips

St Andrews v St Francis - St Francis should win on form, but I'm not completely sold on them yet. St Andrews have copped a bit, will step up

St Marys v Glenroy - If it wasn't for the above game, this would be match of the round

Socials v Sunshine Hts - Only tipping them if they are full strength.

Pascoe Vale v East Coburg - Cooray Brothers have hit some form

Haig Amateurs v West Coburg - Not much I can say

Barkly St Uniting v Merlynston Hadfield - We're due to finish one off.

Deano, you might have pull up, your last two posts (wet weather and old blokes) have been way to intelligent for this forum.
I don't think we can afford to raise the bar.

OK tips

St Andrews v St Francis - St Francis should win on form, but I'm not completely sold on them yet. St Andrews have copped a bit, will step up

St Marys v Glenroy - If it wasn't for the above game, this would be match of the round

Socials v Sunshine Hts - Only tipping them if they are full strength.

Pascoe Vale v East Coburg - Cooray Brothers have hit some form

Haig Amateurs v West Coburg - Not much I can say

Barkly St Uniting v Merlynston Hadfield - We're due to finish one off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back