MPCA (Mornington Peninsula Cricket Association)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchy Demons

MPCA (Mornington Peninsula Cricket Association)

Just wanting to see if there are any players, supporters or followers of the MPCA out there?

I have glanced through previous threads & couldn't find anything in relation to the MPCA so thought I would start one myself.

Feel free to comment on anything - from the three senior competitions - Provincial, District or Sub District, Transfers for the coming season, The Country Week Team/Selections or anything related to the MPCA including the lower grades.

Re: MPCA (Mornington Peninsula Cricket Association)

A few transfers that are being heard around the traps. Some are near certainties and others unsubstantiated rumours:

Baxter - Adrian Mack
Crib Point - Matt Blake
Flinders - Dwayne Field, Simon Parrot, Jamie Symes, Shane Beggs
Langwarrin - Ricky Ramsdale, Jeremy Weare
Moorooduc - Joel Malcolm, Neil Barfuss
Mornington - Anthony Gapes
Mt. Eliza - Keith Burdett
Skye - Scott Clark
Somerville - Adel Hussain
Sorrento - Scotty Phillips

With Chris Brittain & Simon Dignan leaving Heatherhill for the Ferntree Gully Comp

Some massive changes there Punchy definitely goin to be some big changes to the 3 leagues this season. Could see a few powerhouses with some fresh young faces and some more struggling sides become big contenders this coming season.
Heatherhill seem to have been the big loser out of this with 9 of the 17 players named in Punchys list from there club. Will be a great test of the real depth of the club to see if they can recover. Losing virtually a 1st XI side is near on impossible to do, so I personally wouldnt be too suprised if Heatherhill were fighting off relegation this season, however with there depth I could easily be wrong!
Flinders seem to be the big winners out of this little period. They have picked up 4 quality players that are all proven performers in the past. Will more than likely have to start favourites for Sub District this season. They have lost last years captain in Scott Clark but the Ins well and truly are bigger than the Outs!
Will be interesting to see how Long Island will go with out there superstar and marquee player, still have good quality but losing Scott Phillips could mentally fray that side this season as Scotty carried a massive workload in his time there.
Somerville picking up Adeel Hussain is a big boost for a side that to be quite frank was extremely lucky to survive relegation, how will he gel with the side though when constant rumblings went around last season that a few players werent big fans of the coach (Mal Coutts). Wonder if things will be different this year for the eagles or will it be war and a shambles again?
Moorooduc have recruited well pulling in Joel Malcolm and Neil Barfuss two very talented players who are stars at there best. However losing Gapes would be a small dent and other rumblings of players leaving would take some shine from there recruiting success. Could be an interesting year for the Ducs.
Theres just some of whats goin on around the clubs on the Mornington Peninsula!

Thanks for the going ons at Long Island but I think you'll find S Phillips has re-signed at Long Island as Captain/Coach. He's playing footy at Sorrento

Thanks for the update the Torres Strait! Was going off what was goin round the traps and Punchys post, good news for Long Island for sure.
Also heard a lil rumour that Anthony Blackwell was approached by Moorooduc for large coin but it fell through! Any truth to this?

I haerd the same rumour. Moorooduc were apparently very close to getting Blackwell over the line with the large amount of cash, but Blackwell being the man he is decided against it for two reasons - He loves the Sorrento CC and blokes and couldn't bring himself to play against them.

The Ducs must have come into some cash. Good bunch of blokes down there and it wasn't that long ago they didn't have a proper first XI in one of the recognised three grades.

Other rumoured transfer:

Henry Dolphin - Could be coaching one of Tyabb or Seaford

Punchy Demons;350626 said:
The Ducs must have come into some cash. Good bunch of blokes down there and it wasn't that long ago they didn't have a proper first XI in one of the recognised three grades.

I believe that someone died and left a small fortune to the Ducs. Wouldn't have hurt to spent some of that cash on the clubrooms rather than just players.

Punchy Demons;349995 said:
A few transfers that are being heard around the traps. Some are near certainties and others unsubstantiated rumours:

Sorrento - Scotty Phillips

Does anyone know why Scotty Phillips is playing footy at Sorrento this season? :)

GenuineMatchWinner;351852 said:
Yes Scotty is definitely playing footy at Sorrento.

Yes, I know he is playing at Sorrento, I was just wondering what prompted his change?

If I am not mistaken Supa Yabbie but this is a cricket forum. Not a footy one, so if you want to know the goss on local footy then go to the MPNFL website and have a look on there and I think they will have something on Phillips on there, probably on the barge.

By the way, how are the yabbies looking this season? Any recriuts?

legs11;352137 said:
If I am not mistaken Supa Yabbie but this is a cricket forum.

True, but Philips is a cricketer as well as a footballer and I've heard rumours he might be playing cricket with the Sorra's as well as footy, so that's why I was interested in knowing why he has left.

legs11;352137 said:
By the way, how are the yabbies looking this season? Any recriuts?

Well, I can tell you that Shane Filius has been appointed captain/coach for this season, and we have retained our "core group" of senior players (McDonough, Ferns, Gough, Rus).

Obviously, last season didn't go how we would have liked on-field, but off-field we certainly kicked some goals (improved our position financially, first and only "Good Sports Level 3" accredited club).

We have a very enthusiastic committee and look forward to a successful season. Recruitment wise, I don't really know - I'm not involved in that, but I do know Shane and his sub-committee are working hard to attract new players.

IMO, what we need is two top order bats, preferably openers.

Tyabb might not be able to offer the coin some of the Frankston clubs can, but what we can offer is an inclusive environment which is very family friendly, very good facilities (one of the best grounds going around) and opportunities in our higher grades.

mark fulton has left ycw to play at seaford, because everyone has left and does not want to play in a weak side, his words.

Morning All,
Lots off gossip in the cricketing circles around the Mornington Peninsula this year. What do we all think of the points system?

Also in other news Shane Filius meant to be coaching Tyabb this season. Also Langwarrin have a new coach from Aspendale, but hasn't played in 2 seasons. Adrian Mack to Baxter.
Also lots of other rumors to be floating around players leaving Heatherhill. This is the biggest year of players moving around I have ever seen. Must be lots of money around in this economic crisis time.

platypus156;352708 said:
Morning All,
Lots off gossip in the cricketing circles around the Mornington Peninsula this year. What do we all think of the points system?

Also in other news Shane Filius meant to be coaching Tyabb this season. Also Langwarrin have a new coach from Aspendale, but hasn't played in 2 seasons. Adrian Mack to Baxter.
Also lots of other rumors to be floating around players leaving Heatherhill. This is the biggest year of players moving around I have ever seen. Must be lots of money around in this economic crisis time.

I think the points system is a good idea, but just needs some tweaking. Taking players from other clubs should be the most points, but players from outside the comp should be 1, regardless of the level they have played (we should be encouraging better players into our comp, not punishing clubs who attract them).

I can confirm that Shane Filius is coaching Tyabb.

I believe Mack is going to Baxter (how's the average age looking?).

Heard what you have about Langy and H'Hill.

South Eastern Suburbs club seeking oustanding spinner/batsman/Ass. Coach in excellent standard turf comp. Top line remuneration available. PM for more details.

I heard at the footy (Rosebud V Red Hill) last weekend that Main Ridge have picked up Ben Gage from Tyabb as assistant coach.

Is there any truth to this rumour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back