Muck up Day officially Banned in Ballarat

Muck up Day officially Banned in Ballarat

I have got an article from The Courier - Ballarat news, classifieds and community
Muck-up day dead: schools

CHLOE POLLARD
21/10/2008 11:25:00 PM
END-OF-YEAR muck-up day in Ballarat is dead, according to the city's secondary school principals and headmasters.
This claim follows trouble during muck-up day on Monday at exclusive Melbourne school, Xavier College, which led to all Year 12 students at the school being suspended for the last three days before VCE exams start.
Police could lay criminal charges over claims the Xavier College students jumped on cars and frightened residents in the prosperous inner-east suburb of Kew.
When The Courier contacted Ballarat secondary schools yesterday, the one-time Year 12 tradition was described as "out-of-date", "irresponsible", and "inappropriate".
It has instead been replaced with school assemblies, valedictory dinners, and low-key dress-up days.
"It's out-of-date and I think the whole community has really moved on from that idea of kids mucking up," Damascus College acting principal Tony Barrett said.
Damascus College will today host a Year 12 dress-up day plus a "Celebrating Safely" workshop to help point students in the right direction.
"We know students will go out and celebrate in their own way and we haven't really got any control over that, but we are simply counselling them to celebrate safely and responsibly," Mr Barrett said.
Ballarat Grammar headmaster Stephen Higgs said the school would stage its annual leavers' day _ which involves Year 12 students dressing up in costumes _ this Friday.
"I'd like to think the mucking up is a thing of the past, as I think it has been in Ballarat schools over recent years," Mr Higgs said.
Sebastopol College principal Garry Taylor said muck-up day was "irresponsible" and "inappropriate".
"The thing that really annoys us is the way the media promotes this concept (of muck-up day)," Mr Taylor said.
There was also now "no such thing as a muck-up day" at Ballarat Secondary College Barkly campus, said campus principal Sue Mills.
Mt Clear College principal Linda Flynn said the school had not supported a "traditional" muck-up day for years.
St Patrick's College headmaster Peter Casey said: "At this stage of the year, we are concentrating on the boys, their studies, and their exams."
Ballarat Christian College secondary co-ordinator Chris Aiton added: "We do have end-of-year celebrations but in no way are they considered to be muck-up day." Other schools did not return calls.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/muckup-day-dead-schools/1339621.aspx#
http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/muckup-day-dead-schools/1339621.aspx#
javascript:changeFontSize('story',1);
javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);
Discuss

Re: Muck up Day officially Banned in Ballarat

Just wondering if any of you guys that are currently in year 12 are allowed to have muck up day or if it has been banned at your school?

Or if you had a muck up day, what sorts of pranks did you get up to when you had muck up day?

They told us 10 years ago it was banned, same thing they always say every year. We put about 20 chicken and the horse in the quad.. Thing is to do something funny without causing damage..

They banned muck up day in my school years ago, ever since cars got egged and the year12's back then put flour on the fans and stuff like that.

When I finished, they took us on an excursion on the last day of school, so as not to tempt faith. Looking back at school friends that was a very very good idea.

I would of liked a muck up day but I do understand that it is very easy for something like that to be abused like at the Xavier's college in Melbourne.

Also says NSW is better. :p

When I was going to secondary school we had a low key muck up day celebration. We were allowed to dress up, but we weren't allowed to annoy and scare the year 7's. So they tried to seperated them. It didn't work so nearly everyone got wet or had a stink bomb go off near them, or had shaving cream all over them.

We're going to start planning ours for next year. We gotta do something sweet, that will be remembered. The leavers of 2005 burnt "Leavers 05" into the oval, which was pretty funny.

jimmy33;275299 said:
We're going to start planning ours for next year. We gotta do something sweet, that will be remembered. The leavers of 2005 burnt "Leavers 05" into the oval, which was pretty funny.
That sounds good but I reckon something in a form of a play or a musical sounds even better. Maybe look at doing something different to what some of the others did.

schwab2clarkson;275323 said:
That sounds good but I reckon something in a form of a play or a musical sounds even better. Maybe look at doing something different to what some of the others did.

Thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard. A musical? So they year 7's can pick on the yr 12's leaving?

Brenno;276293 said:
Thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard. A musical? So they year 7's can pick on the yr 12's leaving?
Well if the year 12's can't have a muck up day, a musical is something that they can do.

schwab2clarkson;276302 said:
Well if the year 12's can't have a muck up day, a musical is something that they can do.

yeah i can see all the year 12's going lets do a musical it will be rad over.

Lets get drunk and have some fun.

Stupid post

Brenno;276306 said:
yeah i can see all the year 12's going lets do a musical it will be rad over.

Lets get drunk and have some fun.

Stupid post
you are missing the point. They aren't allowed to get drunk and have fun.....:D

Of course we all agree that banning muck up day is wrong because of the pranks and stuff that the year 12's get up to.

School is going to be boring for the year 12's thanks to Xavier College stuffing it up for every other school.

schwab2clarkson;276308 said:
you are missing the point. They aren't allowed to get drunk and have fun.....:D

Of course we all agree that banning muck up day is wrong because of the pranks and stuff that the year 12's get up to.

School is going to be boring for the year 12's thanks to Xavier College stuffing it up for every other schoo.

Nah it has been ruined for years, they have been so tight in recent years, the xavier kids just added to an already ragging fire

Back