Muralitharan retires from international cricket

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Muralitharan retires from international cricket

Muttiah Muralitharan, the record-breaking wicket-taker in Tests and ODIs, will retire from all forms of international cricket after the first Test against India at Galle which begins on July 18

More...

Re: Muralitharan retires from international cricket

He'll be a huge loss for Sri Lanka. Mendis seems to have tapered off since his explosive debut so there are some big shoes to fill. And with Chaminda Vaas reaching the end of his career, Sri Lanka have arguably lost their two best bowlers that have ever represented them.

Murali will need eight wickets in his last test to finish with 800 test scalps. I still think Warne was better though.

Muralitharan vs Warne is a very interesting debate but Muralitharan will be missed.

Personally, I'd say Murali edges it because he carried his team's bowling attack for about 15 years. Warne was surrounded by legendary players.

Had a good career but at his age it's the right time to chuck it in.

Kram81;403137 said:
Had a good career but at his age it's the right time to chuck it in.

No underlying meaning there Kram? ;)

As my avatar suggests I like this bloke. Sad to see him go, but he's timed it perfectly.

He probably won't get the 800 wickets, and with any luck he will finish with 799. It would be a Bradmanesque way to go, record breaking and so far ahead of everyone else (apart from Warne), and yet just missing a milestone like that.

Unfortunately there will always be the debate on whether he chucks or not. I think his action is completely legal, until it gets to his doosra, then I'm a bit sceptical. In then end it doesn't matter what we think, though, his records stand and even getting on in his career he's still one of the most feared bowlers.

Great player.

Boris;403256 said:
As my avatar suggests I like this bloke. Sad to see him go, but he's timed it perfectly.

He probably won't get the 800 wickets, and with any luck he will finish with 799. It would be a Bradmanesque way to go, record breaking and so far ahead of everyone else (apart from Warne), and yet just missing a milestone like that.

Unfortunately there will always be the debate on whether he chucks or not. I think his action is completely legal, until it gets to his doosra, then I'm a bit sceptical. In then end it doesn't matter what we think, though, his records stand and even getting on in his career he's still one of the most feared bowlers.

Great player.

He does, or at least he did until the ICC changed the rules to accompany him and a few other bowlers.

Ljp86;403288 said:
He does, or at least he did until the ICC changed the rules to accompany him and a few other bowlers.

Well it's all up to the opinion of the specific person.

I used to think mostly that way as well, but what mostly changed my opinion on that was simply finding a few videos of him bowling from different angles and getting two pieces of paper and placing them horizontally across the screen to cover both his wrist and the other from his shoulder down, and just concentrate on the elbow as it comes through. From all the angles I really can't see it bending much at all, it gets to the 'locked' position (where it is still bent in Murali's case) and doesn't move from there.

I find that watching the rest of the body does give that illusion of him chucking.

For what it's worth, though, I think all the testing on him is bogus, you can't test a player off a cricket field for all they can do is change their action for the tests. His doosra looks much more dodgy than his off break on the field.

Really, though, have you ever tried bowling like he does? I did, and it sure as hell doesn't work :D

It's a debate that could go for hours and has been exhausted by people everywhere. What's important at the end of the day is that his record stands.

Botha from South Afrrica has always had a disgraceful action.

Say what you like about Nathan Hauritz at least he isn't a cheat.

Might not even get a bowl at this point. Part of the first day was lost due to a wet outfield and the first session on day two was washed out due to heavy showers. Still no play yet and we've passed the lunch break.

Sri Lanka in firm control. 361/6 at lunch on day 3.

Murali's send off has been quite extravagent, all the stands with his name on them, the coin that was flipped has his picture on it... it goes on and on.

Looks like his last will be a draw though. Not into the second innings on day 3. Murali's going to have to take his 8 wickets in one innings.

The chucker finishes with 800, snared three in the second innings to finish with exactly 800 wickets after getting five in the first innings.

Hard to believe that there is only one man ever who has reached that number.

Probably only be one player who does it Boris, can't see anyone at the moment who could do it. If anyone does break the record it will be another spinner as fast bowling puts too much strain on the body during one's career and many are rotated in and out of the side now for squad management purposes whereas the spinners have a much shorter run-up and can generally play more games as their is less toll on the their body.

Ljp86;403921 said:
Probably only be one player who does it Boris, can't see anyone at the moment who could do it. If anyone does break the record it will be another spinner as fast bowling puts too much strain on the body during one's career and many are rotated in and out of the side now for squad management purposes whereas the spinners have a much shorter run-up and can generally play more games as their is less toll on the their body.

Agree there. It will stand for quite some time. I expect some T20 bowlers around there in the future though as they can manage to cram in 5 games a week if they wanted to.

Warne would have been nearer to it if he'd played one more year, but at the same time he's still had more Tests than Murali to get to the point he is now. Take away Zimbabwe and Bangladesh from Murali's calculations and he and Warne are very similar statistically.

Kram81;403360 said:
Botha from South Afrrica has always had a disgraceful action.

Say what you like about Nathan Hauritz at least he isn't a cheat.

I like Nathan Hauritz....he knows his game and gets the best out of it..a smart bowler IMO and grossly underrated in Australia

Now that Muri has retired, can we please change the rules back to what they were instead of this 15 degree rubbish?
He was a chucker and all his records count for nothing.I gurantee you if an Aussie or a Pom had tried bowling like that he would have been kicked/laughed out of cricket.Unfortunately nowadays all you have to do is play the race card and you will get your way.

Think he might becoming back. I'd prefer the rules to be that anyone with a questionable action has to play a Test and an ODI while having his action examined through electronic modling etc. No point in lab testing as they simply bowl legally.

Back