Nannes Retires

Re: Nannes Retires

Right choice given his age and potency in the shorter forms. Money is there to be made, give yourself the best chance to do so.

And so it begins, this was predicted 2 or 3 years ago and we have already seen it with several players.

Tait, Flintoff, Afridi and now Nannes.

Will be the first of many one suscepts.

I guess he needs to set himself up for the future.

BUt this sort of crap infuriates me. The power that the BCCI have over world cricket is getting stronger and stronger and it wouldn't suprise me in the future for a coup to overthrow the ICC to put Mr Modi in charge and continue to find ways to make more and more money.

Bit of 4 day cricket here and there aint hurt nobody, only 33 still got a few more yeras for VIC left

I think it's selfish to ditch his team like that. It's fair enough in cases like Hodge, he's quite old and the domestic team will have had to say goodbye to him anyway very soon, but he does have that one last chance at the World Cup, so that's fair enough.

This is just for the money in my eyes. It's not like he's Tait and breaks down everytime he plays a long game.

D.K;389341 said:
I guess he needs to set himself up for the future.

BUt this sort of crap infuriates me. The power that the BCCI have over world cricket is getting stronger and stronger and it wouldn't suprise me in the future for a coup to overthrow the ICC to put Mr Modi in charge and continue to find ways to make more and more money.

Bit of 4 day cricket here and there aint hurt nobody, only 33 still got a few more yeras for VIC left

I don't blame the players at all, why wouldn't you quit the 4 day game if you have no realistic chance of representing Australia at test level or if your like Flintoff and your on one knee.

However, look at a player like Afridi who has retired from test cricket at a quite young age.

That is the problem if you don't play for Australia or England, both those teams obviously have the Ashes to play for and the test players earn a good wage. However, if you play for teams like the West Indies or New Zealand there really isn't any desire to play test cricket in empty stadiums when you can play T20 in packed houses and earn big money.

Boris;389350 said:
This is just for the money in my eyes.

Which is what a majority of players play for. They have a talent and they sell that talent to the highest bidder (in theory). Yes, there is more to it than just that but it's no different from any other job really.

Do you think I'm going to stay working for company X if company Y offer me more money and less hours? Of course I'm not. Nannes is taking the decision which he feels is best for him, one which will probably set him up for life.

I understand where people come from in terms of team loyalty and all that but we have to be honest here. Their careers are short lived and not everyone is paid top dollar. Also, how many teams would think twice about cutting a player who is not performing? Not many I'd wager, so you have to make the most of it whilst the chance is there.

I'm not a fan of the shorter forms of the game, tests are my thing but the nature of cricket means that there are always going to be horses for courses. Nannes is not going to make the test side, nor was it the longer form that helped him to make his name. He will still be available for his state and will perhaps be more effective because of the time out when they are playing 4 day games and the different experiences he is likely to have.

I agree with that, but this will probably become more widespread, eventually accounting for test cricket in all countries bar England and Australia and maybe South Africa.

mas cambios;389354 said:
Which is what a majority of players play for. They have a talent and they sell that talent to the highest bidder (in theory). Yes, there is more to it than just that but it's no different from any other job really.

Do you think I'm going to stay working for company X if company Y offer me more money and less hours? Of course I'm not. Nannes is taking the decision which he feels is best for him, one which will probably set him up for life.

I understand where people come from in terms of team loyalty and all that but we have to be honest here. Their careers are short lived and not everyone is paid top dollar. Also, how many teams would think twice about cutting a player who is not performing? Not many I'd wager, so you have to make the most of it whilst the chance is there.

I'm not a fan of the shorter forms of the game, tests are my thing but the nature of cricket means that there are always going to be horses for courses. Nannes is not going to make the test side, nor was it the longer form that helped him to make his name. He will still be available for his state and will perhaps be more effective because of the time out when they are playing 4 day games and the different experiences he is likely to have.

I know, but still. :)

I just don't think the ICC is doing enough to stop the stupidity with things happening in the IPL, that's all. There is way too much money being thrown around.

'Globalisation (commodification fits in here) is not something evil in its own right. It can turn evil when applying the wrong principles or the wrong value systems or narrow-minded value systems to it. That is where the whole system falls down, if you indeed only apply Americanised or Westernised values to sport in a global context.' (H. Westerbeek 2002, The Sports Factor, ABC Radio National, 6 Dec.)

I agree with him completely.

Cricket cannot allow Americanised values to effect it, or we aren't going to be able to call it cricket anymore.

I know this is off topic, but this all leads into the one larger topic of commodification and globalisation of sport, which I'm all for, but the BCCI and ICC are applying the wrong values system to the wrong sport.

I'm boycotting the IPL myself, and I know many other people who are as well. Anything that makes a difference in my mind.

It is as I have always said the fault of the ICC. They are too weak and at the mercy of the various country boards, in particular India.

Do you see FIFA being bossed around by Brazil or England? No, those countries defer to the governing body. Then again things are more complicated in cricket and we still carry baggage from the days of the Raj and the UK governance of India etc. There are also issues with India being 'new money' which doesn't help matters - they are still finding their feet in a world market place after years of being on the outside.

Kram81;389373 said:
He's getting on and is no chance to play a Test, sensible move.

Can't he settle with playing for his state and doing them right? He's 33, it's like half doing a job and not finishing it. He's been relatively injury free so I would expect him to at least be a mentor of sorts to young guns coming through, especially since Victoria are down to the second/third XI often with their bowlers, the support from a more experienced player will do no end of good.

His choice though. If he thinks it will help him play for Australia in ODIs, then good move. I don't think he has the chance of getting in.

Back