Neutral Umpires

Scard

Neutral Umpires

The ICC have introduced neutral umpires for all test matches. Cricket Australia need to do the same for Sheffield Shield and Ford Ranger Cup games.
The Vic Tassie one dayer was under the control of two Vics while a Vic umpire was in charge of the Shield Match. Given that Tassie suffered the worst decision of the last five years, along with some other dubious calls, the time has come for neutral umpires or home-umpires for ALL matches.

Re: Neutral Umpires

all umpires make mistakes now and again. It's easy to point the finger at them because they're both victorian. tassie got rolled fair and square and the game wasn't decided on that one wicket, unfortunately for geeves though it probably stiffed him of his tonne.

1. What was the worst decision in 5 years?

2. Bit difficult to do what you suggest when some states simply dont have enough decent umpires, as for neutral umpires for all matches, too costly

Scard;283194 said:
The ICC have introduced neutral umpires for all test matches. Cricket Australia need to do the same for Sheffield Shield and Ford Ranger Cup games.
The Vic Tassie one dayer was under the control of two Vics while a Vic umpire was in charge of the Shield Match. Given that Tassie suffered the worst decision of the last five years, along with some other dubious calls, the time has come for neutral umpires or home-umpires for ALL matches.

Just watch day 2 and watch Hussey and Watson's decisions today. Neutral umpires in any form of the game mean jack soft. There are bad umpires anywhere you go, and Rudi Koertzen is getting to senile to umpire a chook raffle let alone a test match.

The430king;284529 said:
Just watch day 2 and watch Hussey and Watson's decisions today. Neutral umpires in any form of the game mean jack soft. There are bad umpires anywhere you go, and Rudi Koertzen is getting to senile to umpire a chook raffle let alone a test match.

True but at least Rudi is seen as neutral. Remember neutrals were introduced to Test matches because of serious concerns about some umpires, sadly some were Australian.

Its disappointing to see great umpires like Taufel and Harper not have the chance of umpiring the worlds best cricket nation. They can do it in the ODI but not in Test cricket? give them a Chance I say.

Scard;286211 said:
True but at least Rudi is seen as neutral. Remember neutrals were introduced to Test matches because of serious concerns about some umpires, sadly some were Australian.
Rudi is a South African umpire. He won't be allowed to umpire when the Aussies take on South Africa in australia and in South Africa.

Scard;286211 said:

Neutral umpires are important for test cricket, but a few of the umpires that are on the panel are struggling. Rudi, Bucknor are the two highest profile umpires in world cricket, popular with the players, but I believe are well past there time as umpires. All everyone wants is the best umpires doing test cricket, and only my opinion, they aren't in the best 10 and should give it away.

I reckon that Rudi is a good umpire though that decision against Hussey last match was a howler.

Kram81;286390 said:
I reckon that Rudi is a good umpire though that decision against Hussey last match was a howler.
Is it worse than those times that Hayden and Hussey have been hit plumb in front and given not out?

It seems all the bad decisions always are when a batsman is incorrectly given out, but people never consider the times those same batsmen have been given life after life

Victoria lost the Ford Ranger Cup match to Tassie.

That totally discredits the theory of two Victorian umpires favoring Victoria to change the result of the match.

Jolldo87;286786 said:
Victoria lost the Ford Ranger Cup match to Tassie.

That totally discredits the theory of two Victorian umpires favoring Victoria to change the result of the match.
I want to know which decision they consider the worst in 5 years, because if it is the last wicket which wasnt that bad, Jewell was out in the 90's off the shoulder, didnt whinge then, but the last wicket was given by the non Victorian umpire

eddiesmith;286804 said:
I want to know which decision they consider the worst in 5 years, because if it is the last wicket which wasnt that bad, Jewell was out in the 90's off the shoulder, didnt whinge then, but the last wicket was given by the non Victorian umpire

Hodge's LBW in the Ford Ranger Cup i presume. He was pretty plumb and given not out.

eddiesmith;286804 said:

Pardon!! In the shield match, both umpires, Bob Parry and Geoff Joshua, were Victorians. The decision to give McDonald out, thus depriving Geeves of his century was unbelievable. Watching the replay at the ground, I thought Jewell was out. If not it was an understandable error

Scard;286856 said:
Pardon!! In the shield match, both umpires, Bob Parry and Geoff Joshua, were Victorians. The decision to give McDonald out, thus depriving Geeves of his century was unbelievable. Watching the replay at the ground, I thought Jewell was out. If not it was an understandable error

No, you're wrong.

Ian Lock (England) and Bob Parry (Victoria) umpired the shield game.

Cricinfo - Victoria v Tasmania at Melbourne, Nov 15-18, 2008

Scard;286856 said:
McDonald one was no worse than the one depriving Jewell of his century, watching it immediately it looked dodgy and the replay confirmed it

also, umpires are umpiring the match as they see it, they aren't umpiring with sinister intentions. ie. "i'm not going to let that geeves prick make a tonne...i'll just raise the finger now and **** him right up"

Nuetral Umps is the worst thing since the Hansie Cronje incident (rip)

In the most important sries you need the best umps standing there, for the upcoming Aus vs SA Simon Taufel should be there as he is the best

as stated by DizzyGillespe umps dont sit there and say i dont like Joe Blow im gonna trigger him, that only happens in Park cricket

the problem with umpires on the ICC panel is that they are FOREVER travelling and they get so run down and tired that they are at times running on fumes. now you can't tell me - that travelling the world for around 310 days of the year isn't going to be tiring - they still get annual leave and the like and they still get days off, but it is one of the toughest gigs on the planet - it is tougher than playing - by a long long way. When you are tired mistakes start creeping in - and they are just that - mistakes.

Now, at CA level, it's all about finances, some games have two neutral umpires, some games have two home umpires, some have one of each - usually at CA level it is the best who is available at the time, not one of the guys i know would ever want to make a mistake. We are our harshest critics - forget what the players or fans think of a decision - they'll all get over it - umpires are their own harshest critic. If i make a howler of a decision i get so annoyed with myself - even after the players have forgotten about it i'm still kicking myself.

all i can say for terrible decisions is get on with life -because he will be kicking himself too - he'll know what he's done wrong.

Back