New Zealand Tour Of England 15

Not many teams make 520 in their first dig and lose from there.

Seem to remember Eng making 550 in first dig in Adelaide during the 2006/07 Ashes and losing.

Any other instances of 500+ in first dig and losing a test?

Disappointing result. I must say as talented as new Zealand are, having watched them they don't have the experience to win these tight contests and looked naive.

Blaming it on the IPL is a cop out.

Day 1 - NZ had them by the balls, decent fight back from England though.
Day 2 - NZ back on top
Day 3 - NZ still in the box seat
Day 4 - Game slipping away from NZ
Day 5 - NZ p*ssed it away

I thought that Eng (not surprisingly) batted too long on the 5th morning, b/c Cook would rather draw than risk losing. That said, batting 80 overs on a wicket that had seen only 26 wickets fall in the first 4 days shouldn't have been too much trouble. Then when 2 blokes in the top 8 get to 30, 4 days of hard work is down the toilet.

4th innings chases are never easy, particularly when they are asking 300+ in less than a day!

Fingers crossed the next test is just as interesting to get everyone interested when the big boys arrive.

I actually believe NZ lost the chance to win the test on the first day. Although we had them 30/4 the line and length from Boult & Southee was awful.
It was telling that Henry looked better and had longer spells.

We really have to think who is the go to bowler to dry things up. Boult is the only one whose RPO stays down but we don't want to bowl him into the ground.

NZ was just disgraceful on the final day. However as has been said previously they really lost the way on Day One with ill-disciplined bowling.

Southee is a little bit of a worry. His new ball bowling is normally very good but is second, third, fourth spells have been crap!

Still pick him though as his new ball bowling is excellent when onsong in English conditions.

Blaming it on the IPL is a cop out.

Day 1 - NZ had them by the balls, decent fight back from England though.
Day 2 - NZ back on top
Day 3 - NZ still in the box seat
Day 4 - Game slipping away from NZ
Day 5 - NZ p*ssed it away

I thought that Eng (not surprisingly) batted too long on the 5th morning, b/c Cook would rather draw than risk losing. That said, batting 80 overs on a wicket that had seen only 26 wickets fall in the first 4 days shouldn't have been too much trouble. Then when 2 blokes in the top 8 get to 30, 4 days of hard work is down the toilet.

4th innings chases are never easy, particularly when they are asking 300+ in less than a day!

Fingers crossed the next test is just as interesting to get everyone interested when the big boys arrive.
I thought Vettori had retired - or do you mean some other 'Big Boys' if so who?

I actually believe NZ lost the chance to win the test on the first day. Although we had them 30/4 the line and length from Boult & Southee was awful.
It was telling that Henry looked better and had longer spells.

We really have to think who is the go to bowler to dry things up. Boult is the only one whose RPO stays down but we don't want to bowl him into the ground.
Leftie, your go to bowler has retired.:(

Back