4. MGS
5. Xavier

Next years ladder:

1. Xavier
2. Caulfield
3. Scotch
4. MGS
5. BGS

The main contenders are xavier, caulfield, scotch and melbourne, and with the amount of experience they have bgs will have a much better year next year

Re: Next Year

I thought about adding scotch to my list and now you mention them i probably should have. They have some quality players no doubt but so does everyone and from what i know about their bowling attack, they rely quite a bit on part timers. There is no doubt in my mind that the APS next year will be dominated by the batsmen, with the lighting fast grounds (although they are improving) and lack of experienced bowlers and i think that part timers will get demolished. I struggle to see how BGS will immediately go from the bottom to the top in one season, sure they have 11 guys back but their team morale will be in tatters and some sides have different lineups to the teams BGS beat in younger year levels e.g. Caulfield.
Xavier and MGS have the big advantage that their boys know how to win APS cricket games both two and one dayers.
Having spent the year in the seconds, i have played against some quality players who might be pushing for selection at other schools and BGS are kidding themselves if they think that a year in the firsts means your a better player than someone who has carved up the seconds or 10A's.
My surprise packet for next year will be Hailebury, they also have a lot of players back and Jackson Coleman will demolish sides.

twirl;340910 said:
I thought about adding scotch to my list and now you mention them i probably should have. They have some quality players no doubt but so does everyone and from what i know about their bowling attack, they rely quite a bit on part timers. There is no doubt in my mind that the APS next year will be dominated by the batsmen, with the lighting fast grounds (although they are improving) and lack of experienced bowlers and i think that part timers will get demolished. I struggle to see how BGS will immediately go from the bottom to the top in one season, sure they have 11 guys back but their team morale will be in tatters and some sides have different lineups to the teams BGS beat in younger year levels e.g. Caulfield.
Xavier and MGS have the big advantage that their boys know how to win APS cricket games both two and one dayers.
Having spent the year in the seconds, i have played against some quality players who might be pushing for selection at other schools and BGS are kidding themselves if they think that a year in the firsts means your a better player than someone who has carved up the seconds or 10A's.
My surprise packet for next year will be Hailebury, they also have a lot of players back and Jackson Coleman will demolish sides.

is coleman in year 11?

twirl;340910 said:

twil u have rocks in your head if you think you can use the words 'team morale' as your own.

twirl;340910 said:

As well as teammorale's statement above, rocksy, you are a fool to believe that a year in the 2's will better prepare you than a year in the 1's.
Also, MGS will only retain a few players from this year who "know how to win cricket games" which doesn't really give them any advantage over anyone else.
And Scotch retain three or four regular 1st XI bowlers for next years season so I don't know what you are talking about them relying on part timers.

twirl;340877 said:
Without doubt the fast bowling stocks will suffer greatly as voyage and cameron were very good. As for the spinners, Bett is going to be a massive loss but in my opinion the combination of Harrod and De Fegely can fill the void. Harrod probably (at the moment) cant bowl the massive spells Bett does as his action is very dynamic but he does know how to take wickets. De Fegely has gone through two seasons with an economy rate of just under 2 and can bowl a lot of overs. Expect next year to see a lot more overs from Keath, Jenkins and Clark, but the opening bowler spot will probably go to either Will Pike or Fletcher Roberts in year 10, or Alex Stogdale who opened this year in the seconds and has bowled quite well.

with you having said this i still wouldnt be surprised if they struggled in the bowling department....sounds like they will be relying on their batting to bat teams out of games with jenkins etc. making the lion's share
your points about the spinners are vaild though, their economy as you described it could very well win mgs a few one-dayers

Forward of Square;340880 said:
Some good stuff here Rocksy, few gaps though.

Brighton should really dominate next year, but from what they showed this year, I don't think that same team will be good enough to dominate. Still a very good side and would have to be favourites at this early stage. Drummond is a very good bat aswell btw.

MGS will have a very good batting side and will be fine in the runs department, but will struggle to take 10 wickets a match. Question of whether batting prowess can make up for lack of quality bowlers.

Caulfield I think are a very good chance next year. Were always good in lower years, and have bottom agers to back them up aswell now.

Xavier will be alright again but they were never that good in yr 9 and 10 so I don't think they will be anything special.

A school that no one has mentioned yet that will be a force next year is Scotch. Three or four players returning for their third season of first XI next year. Very well rounded team across the whole board.

Early prediction= 1. BGS
2. Caulfield
3. Scotch
4. MGS
5. Xavier

how can you say that about xavier when they have two yr 11's in the aps side this year and at least 4 other players with experience who will look to have big seasons next year
scotch will be a force and yes they will rely on lots of part timers to fill the overs but i still think you can't go past xavier
BGS are rubbish and will be for years to come, they have absolutely no depth

1. Xavier
2. Scotch
3. MGS
4. Caulfield
5. BGS

Out. of the rough;340977 said:
how can you say that about xavier when they have two yr 11's in the aps side this year and at least 4 other players with experience who will look to have big seasons next year
scotch will be a force and yes they will rely on lots of part timers to fill the overs but i still think you can't go past xavier
BGS are rubbish and will be for years to come, they have absolutely no depth

1. Xavier
2. Scotch
3. MGS
4. Caulfield
5. BGS

I think BGS will be top 3
With every single player coming back next season with a season of APS cricket (some 2 seasons) they will be bigger and better for it. With Michael Singh back from injury they will be a dominating force in 2009/2010

Forward of Square;340951 said:
As well as teammorale's statement above, rocksy, you are a fool to believe that a year in the 2's will better prepare you than a year in the 1's.
Also, MGS will only retain a few players from this year who "know how to win cricket games" which doesn't really give them any advantage over anyone else.
And Scotch retain three or four regular 1st XI bowlers for next years season so I don't know what you are talking about them relying on part timers.

that is not what i was saying at all, you couldnt have gotten it more wrong. What i am saying is that just because you played a year in the ones at a school that struggled to win games, that doesnt make you a better cricketer than a guy who has done well in the twos or 10A's at a school with a successful first 11.

twirl;341266 said:
that is not what i was saying at all, you couldnt have gotten it more wrong. What i am saying is that just because you played a year in the ones at a school that struggled to win games, that doesnt make you a better cricketer than a guy who has done well in the twos or 10A's at a school with a successful first 11.

wise words, it doesnt give you good experience if you go out and get flogged every week in the ones

through the gate;341270 said:
wise words, it doesnt give you good experience if you go out and get flogged every week in the ones

absolutely, a winning culture is paramount in the quest for a premiership

teams like st kevins and carey do not have this

MGS's bowling stocks will be significantly boosted next year, nick voyage has announced that he will be returning on an apprenticeship scheme. His presence next year will surely strike fear into the hearts of opposition batsman

twirl;340877 said:
Without doubt the fast bowling stocks will suffer greatly as voyage and cameron were very good. As for the spinners, Bett is going to be a massive loss but in my opinion the combination of Harrod and De Fegely can fill the void. Harrod probably (at the moment) cant bowl the massive spells Bett does as his action is very dynamic but he does know how to take wickets. De Fegely has gone through two seasons with an economy rate of just under 2 and can bowl a lot of overs. Expect next year to see a lot more overs from Keath, Jenkins and Clark, but the opening bowler spot will probably go to either Will Pike or Fletcher Roberts in year 10, or Alex Stogdale who opened this year in the seconds and has bowled quite well.

One word: Ratwatte

The way BGS fielded against i think it was geelong college, correct me if i am wrong.. they were unrelenting. Plumridge bowled 12 over and got 2/15. The left armer stait, bowled bowling big hooping inswingers and his last wicket went bouncer, bouncer, inswining yorker on middle stump to bowl out a helpless geelong side for 120.
BGS bounced back after last weeks performance, and they will take this into next season with a better attitude if they get over the line, the saying 'you always remember your last game' will stay in their minds until the next toss in term 4.
Having an entire team that has played this year coming back next year is worht its weight in gold, the likes of plumridge and singh if fit will tear it up in their final year.

Forward of Square;340880 said:
Some good stuff here Rocksy, few gaps though.

Brighton should really dominate next year, but from what they showed this year, I don't think that same team will be good enough to dominate. Still a very good side and would have to be favourites at this early stage. Drummond is a very good bat aswell btw.

MGS will have a very good batting side and will be fine in the runs department, but will struggle to take 10 wickets a match. Question of whether batting prowess can make up for lack of quality bowlers.

Caulfield I think are a very good chance next year. Were always good in lower years, and have bottom agers to back them up aswell now.

Xavier will be alright again but they were never that good in yr 9 and 10 so I don't think they will be anything special.

A school that no one has mentioned yet that will be a force next year is Scotch. Three or four players returning for their third season of first XI next year. Very well rounded team across the whole board.

Early prediction= 1. BGS
2. Caulfield
3. Scotch
4. MGS
5. Xavier
Foward of Square you must joking. Xaviers depth is not as good as caulifeild but by far the 2nd best future team. Year 10s arnt good.... They didnt lose a game all year. Not only tht the smashed everyone by atleast 5 wickets. With the likes of Papaleo Heffernan Tiernan Prowse and even Williams all in year 10 they are exiting players in the near future. Gilbert Frawley Russ all year 9s they will be a force next year and will have the depth to win alot more than they lose.

mate gilbert is a pie-chucker a full tosser or a half tracker are his stock deliveries. I have played in squad teams with him and rate him as a good bloke but nothing more, his high pitched voice still rings in my ear after 2 years

his batting is just as good, watch next 2 years he will be the leading spinner in the APS......... Along with Frawley the best openin bowler..........

dayumm sulli;341983 said:
mate gilbert is a pie-chucker a full tosser or a half tracker are his stock deliveries. I have played in squad teams with him and rate him as a good bloke but nothing more, his high pitched voice still rings in my ear after 2 years

If Gilbert is as bad as you say how did he make Vic U/15 wait did you make vic U/15 if you make that then you can say if his shit or not

if you guys dont reakon skc are going to be up there, you are not thinking.
with the likes of ringa smashing them.deffs aps next year. moore one of the best bowlers next year! got 5 wickets in his last game.conway is one out of the box.unreal player with the ability to make 100s and take 5 stumpings.young spence is going to be a great prospect and will cotinue to grow from his 20s this year.
i dont think they will have the depth of this year but they will have some great players, with some of the best sledgers in conway and libba and ringa.
goodluck to anyone who plays them!!

Back