North A And B

Re: North A and B 2010/11

Guru14;404851 said:
Howla, yes I am the coach. was I asked about the move to the VTCA, yes. Was I involved in the process, no. Was I asked about the pros and cons, no. having played in the VTCA, I have always liked the basics of the VTCA, promotion, playing full days of cricket, playing against well established clubs etc etc. Was I directly involved in pushing to go to the VTCA, no. Did I suggest the VTCA would be a good move for the future, yes. Hope this answers your questions. Just for your benefit, Merlo is a strong club with a great mix of old and young cricketers who are looking forward to a new challenge.

I would suggest if you asked any coach on this site whether they know what happens in committee meetings most if not all would say nope, no idea, but would be advised of any change that directly effected their job which is what has happened in this instance.

nice quote guru. thats exactly how a club should be run. the last thing you need is the committee taking direction from the coach.

roosters hack;407677 said:
Hey Biggun....I think you mean Mine Field, from what I hear it played alot better last year.

Na playing on that deck does your head in.:)

BigCoq;407678 said:
Na playing on that deck does your head in.:)

win the toss and bat......and 1 mistake was to send husslers team in on a good wicket and getting rolled......

we made nothing under 230(i could b wrong) in the 2 dayers and highest score was 280 odd.....we had a problem with the outfield last year a flowering weed grew on the outerside and towards the ballarat rd end and we found out the council was to blame......as there was something in the top soil they laid before the season started......the heat come and the weed took over.....thats been fixed up now.......

though the footy club has chopped it up a bit no reason why it shouldnt be even better this year......its all about the preperation....

if you are thinking about the wicket your already defeated.......;)

Dingo_Jones;407534 said:
Guru welcome back to the association. I don't have my rule book to hand. The usual scenario is max points for the second bye.

Rumour mill suggests there is another side who has left the MMVCA, would that said be the 10th in North B. Apparently the VTCA said they were working with the another club from the MMVCA for the 2010/2011 season, maybe they have got them over the line for the start of this season. This is only 3rd or 4th hand but if you can't start a good rumour on big cricket where else can you start one. Keep an ear out for anything that might confirm or deny this.

Guru14;407867 said:
Rumour mill suggests there is another side who has left the MMVCA, would that said be the 10th in North B. Apparently the VTCA said they were working with the another club from the MMVCA for the 2010/2011 season, maybe they have got them over the line for the start of this season. This is only 3rd or 4th hand but if you can't start a good rumour on big cricket where else can you start one. Keep an ear out for anything that might confirm or deny this.

If in fact that were the case, how many A grade clubs would that leave in the MMVCA for season 10/11?

weapons05/06;407687 said:
win the toss and bat......and 1 mistake was to send husslers team in on a good wicket and getting rolled......

we made nothing under 230(i could b wrong) in the 2 dayers and highest score was 280 odd.....we had a problem with the outfield last year a flowering weed grew on the outerside and towards the ballarat rd end and we found out the council was to blame......as there was something in the top soil they laid before the season started......the heat come and the weed took over.....thats been fixed up now.......QUOTE]

Wow, the council made a mistake? No, they never do that, or is it they never do anything right? I can never remember

Dingo_Jones;407884 said:
If in fact that were the case, how many A grade clubs would that leave in the MMVCA for season 10/11?

MMVCA was a 12 side comp. Merlo leaving allowed another club to be promoted to remain 12 sides and not have a bye through the season.

Dingo_Jones;407884 said:

MMVCA has retained all sides from last year, rumour turned out to be just that!

Howla;407957 said:
So now the rumor is dead Guru, which team did you hear it was??

Didn't, but the VTCA have already confirmed that they are speaking with a side for next year. Again I don't know who the side is but it was mentioned at meeting attended by the clubs.

Guru14;407929 said:
MMVCA was a 12 side comp. Merlo leaving allowed another club to be promoted to remain 12 sides and not have a bye through the season.

curious to know where another club would be promoted from? Is there a second "A" Grade comp or does a hard wicket club get promoted?

Dingo_Jones;407989 said:
curious to know where another club would be promoted from? Is there a second "A" Grade comp or does a hard wicket club get promoted?

Dingo, there are 3 turf grades- B grade comprises malinly of the A grade seconds (some play in C turf) and a couple of sides which have one turf side and it's their first eleven. One of the sides in B grade was traditionally an A grade side who requested to go back a grade to allow the club to rebuild with juniors etc. Obviously the opportunity presented itself and they have moved back up to A grade.

Guru14;407990 said:
Dingo, there are 3 turf grades- B grade comprises malinly of the A grade seconds (some play in C turf) and a couple of sides which have one turf side and it's their first eleven. One of the sides in B grade was traditionally an A grade side who requested to go back a grade to allow the club to rebuild with juniors etc. Obviously the opportunity presented itself and they have moved back up to A grade.

Interesting. The "C" Grade comp sounds like an ideal vehicle for an VTCA club with only one turf ground at there disposal to enter a thirds side on turf and playing there home games on a sunday. That would enable juniors fresh out of under sixteens unable to get a start in 2nds to get on turf in the "C" comp.In so doing they would immediately be getting experience on turf and they would mostly be playing against opposition of similar ability.

Dingo_Jones;407996 said:
Interesting. The "C" Grade comp sounds like an ideal vehicle for an VTCA club with only one turf ground at there disposal to enter a thirds side on turf and playing there home games on a sunday. That would enable juniors fresh out of under sixteens unable to get a start in 2nds to get on turf in the "C" comp.In so doing they would immediately be getting experience on turf and they would mostly be playing against opposition of similar ability.

Absolutely, our C turf side was geared around exactly that last year, and played a semi final which was a bonus for the younger boys. I know for a fact Moonee Valley enters a side in that C turf competition, who I believe won the premiership. Their side was a couple of old heads surrounded by plenty of juniors who were just really keen to play cricket, a perfect scenario I would have thought.

Dingo, who do you see figuring in the business end of things this year. It's probably a really tough question given 4 new sides to North B. I am interested to see what Laverton brings given I know nothing about the Willy comp, we are looking at consolidating ourselves in the first year and hoping to win more than we lose. It will be nice to again play against Kingy, Flemington etc. Looking forward to it and hopefully we can steer the kids in the right direction over the course of the year.

Guru14;407999 said:
Absolutely, our C turf side was geared around exactly that last year, and played a semi final which was a bonus for the younger boys. I know for a fact Moonee Valley enters a side in that C turf competition, who I believe won the premiership. Their side was a couple of old heads surrounded by plenty of juniors who were just really keen to play cricket, a perfect scenario I would have thought.

Dingo, who do you see figuring in the business end of things this year. It's probably a really tough question given 4 new sides to North B. I am interested to see what Laverton brings given I know nothing about the Willy comp, we are looking at consolidating ourselves in the first year and hoping to win more than we lose. It will be nice to again play against Kingy, Flemington etc. Looking forward to it and hopefully we can steer the kids in the right direction over the course of the year.

Guru, it's a bit early doors for me in terms of business end of season. I would rather leave that to end of round four, so I can apply the formula I've devised to ascertain how well the superstars that various clubs have recruited are performing and whether or not they are going to get the job done in finals.

Laverton have played finals once in past three saesons. Last season they made top four but were washed out in semi. You may recall the filthy weather. There seconds won the granny. The fact that the "A" grade finished top four indicates to me that they would be a fair side in Nth "A" and that they were pissed by being asked to start in "B" is understandable. That said I figure all things being equal they should finish top four. However alot of players that play in the willy comp don't like travel, which may mean some of lavertons players may drop off. Time will tell.

Your side Guru, runners up, will have no trouble finishing top four. Now you are going to ask me who the other clubs will be?

Dingo_Jones;408039 said:
Guru, it's a bit early doors for me in terms of business end of season. I would rather leave that to end of round four, so I can apply the formula I've devised to ascertain how well the superstars that various clubs have recruited are performing and whether or not they are going to get the job done in finals.

Laverton have played finals once in past three saesons. Last season they made top four but were washed out in semi. You may recall the filthy weather. There seconds won the granny. The fact that the "A" grade finished top four indicates to me that they would be a fair side in Nth "A" and that they were pissed by being asked to start in "B" is understandable. That said I figure all things being equal they should finish top four. However alot of players that play in the willy comp don't like travel, which may mean some of lavertons players may drop off. Time will tell.

Your side Guru, runners up, will have no trouble finishing top four. Now you are going to ask me who the other clubs will be?

What ever your formula is Dingo it's a bit far fetched to say any team new to VTCA will have no trouble finishing top four. It's a tougher comp than you think.
Also I will happily have a bet with you that Merlo do not make the four. That's nothing against Merlo but having read previously by the coach and others they will be happy to finish mid table suggests to me they know it's not likely to happen for them this year in a new comp. And fair enough as it is tough. Maybe a slab??

Howla;408136 said:
What ever your formula is Dingo it's a bit far fetched to say any team new to VTCA will have no trouble finishing top four. It's a tougher comp than you think.
Also I will happily have a bet with you that Merlo do not make the four. That's nothing against Merlo but having read previously by the coach and others they will be happy to finish mid table suggests to me they know it's not likely to happen for them this year in a new comp. And fair enough as it is tough. Maybe a slab??

Mid table would be disappointing Howla! Guys, hows the grounds looking, given the rain we have had and a bit around this week are we going to be looking at a delayed start or are the wickets on track. Unfortunately or fortunately we are scheduled for Aberfeldie first up, so our wicket and ground has an extra 2 weeks before needed.

Interesting reading your thoughts on the new teams joining this season. Hard to say where M-Hadfield will finish but anything less than promotion for Laverton will be a failure.

Back