North A & B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: North A & B

Too Old Body Broke;337222 said:
Gday Roy,

Not sure if you are involved in the game at Spotty, but I am sure there are posters on here that are. Just curious as to how you thought the wicket played? Obviously going to get some varied replies.

Wicket was fine, if anything a little more zip/pace would have made shot making a lot more easier. Slightly slow but that's not a criticism. No varied/inconsistent bound which is the first thing u look for. There was enough moverment/good bounce for bowlers.

I reckon toss could prove to be crucial in this granny, overcast conditions combined with ocassional showers and slow outfield and ofcourse cossistency of Balncheet n Proce made scoring very difficult. ON a dry day AH would be 7/150-160+ instead of 7/102.

Wicket was very good. a lit more pace would have made it perfect. Regards to the curator on all d good work. Forecast for s next week should keep u on your toes though.

At this stage the forecast is for a shower or two later on Saturday with a top of 27 and Sunday a shower or two with a top of 22, so i would say nothing to worry about this weekend.

ROY G BIV;337162 said:
Umpires Hmmmmm.

Have heard that b4, my understanding is that in vtca GF's are 4 dayers and there in no limitation on the overs that a team can bat. You could bat for 4 days if good enough, but despite that every year u get GF's umpires who come up with pearls of wisdom in bold above.

I reckon mate u have fair point dividing the overs and making it fair 4 both sides. But i think leave things as they are, the team finishing higher @ the end of home n away earn the right to these advantages. Although it can be disheartening for teams who get knocked out becuase of drws and inclement wetaher in semi or granny. But that's incentive to finish as high as possible in the 4.

In district lower grades a number of teams last week drew their QF becuase day 1 was washed out & as a result the higher placed teams went through to the semis. A shit way to end the season BUT the sides that finish higher i am afraid earn that advantge after Home n away.

Anyway Hope u blokes would get on this week, although showers are prodicted again for sat.

the only trouble was the rest of the decks were muddy, is that because center wicked covers didn;t cover the entire turf table, if so that's not good enough.

In the normal course of events you can bat for 160 overs (2 days), however because more than 90 minutes were lost it goes back to ordinary conditions, these rules are more for 2 day matches, not really designed for a grand final,it would make sense for both sides to have 80 overs each

slow medium;337511 said:
In the normal course of events you can bat for 160 overs (2 days), however because more than 90 minutes were lost it goes back to ordinary conditions, these rules are more for 2 day matches, not really designed for a grand final,it would make sense for both sides to have 80 overs each

Ordinary conditions are right, they are very ordinary

does that mean that the grand final has become an 80 over per side game (with CC) due to the fact that we've lost 90+ minutes?

so if lets say 60 overs were bowled last saturday, then we will aim for another 80 this saturday and a further 20 on sunday to close out the game?

or have i completely misinterpreted and there will be 80 overs on saturday and 80 overs on sunday with teams batting as long as they want to until they are either bowled out or declare?

DizzyGillepsie;337544 said:
does that mean that the grand final has become an 80 over per side game (with CC) due to the fact that we've lost 90+ minutes?

so if lets say 60 overs were bowled last saturday, then we will aim for another 80 this saturday and a further 20 on sunday to close out the game?

or have i completely misinterpreted and there will be 80 overs on saturday and 80 overs on sunday with teams batting as long as they want to until they are either bowled out or declare?

Teams can bat for as long as they wont.

I don't agree with it but thems the rules so the say

DizzyGillepsie;337544 said:

yes
there are 80 overs saturday and 80 on sunday, but because we lost time for rain the team that finishes higher on the ladder can bat for 2 days if there good enough and win.

demon;337547 said:
yes
there are 80 overs saturday and 80 on sunday, but because we lost time for rain the team that finishes higher on the ladder can bat for 2 days if there good enough and win.

It's unfortunate for the teams that are going to suffer from this idiotic rule. Maybe all the clubs need to speak up @ the General meeting & put forward the idea that in the event of a day / weekend being lost the remaining overs are divided. The team finishing higher in the event of a total washout still wins but if there's a possibility of a fairer system it should be looked at. If a team that finishes 3rd can a win flag from a washout in the granny if they are playing 4th, how is that fair to 4th when they have knocked of the top team. If it occured & there was 1 day left wouldn't the obvious thing to do is play a one dayer. Not the best thing for the higher side but it's still a fairer option for the whole competition.... I wonder what would happen if Yarraville or Keilor finished 4th?

2time;337560 said:
It's unfortunate for the teams that are going to suffer from this idiotic rule. Maybe all the clubs need to speak up @ the General meeting & put forward the idea that in the event of a day / weekend being lost the remaining overs are divided. The team finishing higher in the event of a total washout still wins but if there's a possibility of a fairer system it should be looked at. If a team that finishes 3rd can a win flag from a washout in the granny if they are playing 4th, how is that fair to 4th when they have knocked of the top team. If it occured & there was 1 day left wouldn't the obvious thing to do is play a one dayer. Not the best thing for the higher side but it's still a fairer option for the whole competition.... I wonder what would happen if Yarraville or Keilor finished 4th?

A question for all of you- do you think there is a side who can bat 2 full days bearing in mind what we see every week. I'm talking about all grades across the board, I would think even with the 2 days lost most games this weekend will be decided by a first innings result.

Guru14;337570 said:
A question for all of you- do you think there is a side who can bat 2 full days bearing in mind what we see every week. I'm talking about all grades across the board, I would think even with the 2 days lost most games this weekend will be decided by a first innings result.

I think some sides will go close to being able to bat for most of the 2 days, but as you say, to some others it could be a hinderance as it doesnt suit their style. Obviously the Avondale/KP game won't be that situation given it's current status and you would think a result will come from that. HoweverI wouldn't think it would suit Werribee for it to try and bat for 2 days against MV. They have some players that are better off trying to score as their defense isn't that crash hot (ie. Crea, Nankervis and Sammut).
Yarravillle could do it given their bats although a tough ask against AW bowling attack, and so could Willy even though they are 2 down.
But I agree that the rule should be be looked at. They changed it recently so they didnt get this type of situation where teams could just bat for 2 days straight and yet, look whats happened! Surely an oversight that needs to be addressed for next year. However I think there are some merits for this normal playing conditions to revert once you lose say 2.5 to 3 days. We all know that limited overs results can throw up some funny results on the back of one standout performance and it would be a shame to lose a 4 day GF to that!

Snagglepuss;337594 said:
I think some sides will go close to being able to bat for most of the 2 days, but as you say, to some others it could be a hinderance as it doesnt suit their style. Obviously the Avondale/KP game won't be that situation given it's current status and you would think a result will come from that. HoweverI wouldn't think it would suit Werribee for it to try and bat for 2 days against MV. They have some players that are better off trying to score as their defense isn't that crash hot (ie. Crea, Nankervis and Sammut).
Yarravillle could do it given their bats although a tough ask against AW bowling attack, and so could Willy even though they are 2 down.
But I agree that the rule should be be looked at. They changed it recently so they didnt get this type of situation where teams could just bat for 2 days straight and yet, look whats happened! Surely an oversight that needs to be addressed for next year. However I think there are some merits for this normal playing conditions to revert once you lose say 2.5 to 3 days. We all know that limited overs results can throw up some funny results on the back of one standout performance and it would be a shame to lose a 4 day GF to that!

The problem is the 90 minute clause, with a grand final going over 4 days, it's not alot of lost time, perhaps there needs to be a time limit eg no play by 4.00 first day, start again 2nd day with 240 overs divided by 2 and so on,

slow medium;337605 said:
The problem is the 90 minute clause, with a grand final going over 4 days, it's not alot of lost time, perhaps there needs to be a time limit eg no play by 4.00 first day, start again 2nd day with 240 overs divided by 2 and so on,

I like it slow medium- would make a lot of sense.

Snagglepuss;337594 said:

Snaggle heard a rumour that Werribee centrals weren't keen to start the game on Sunday- do you think any truth to the runour. Given they finished on top why would they!!!

Guru14;337611 said:
Snaggle heard a rumour that Werribee centrals weren't keen to start the game on Sunday- do you think any truth to the runour. Given they finished on top why would they!!!

I wouldnt be surprised and why would ya. It would make sense and I feel sorry for those that did start and have probably wrecked any chance they had ie. Avondale.
Werribee had just better be careful however as they come across to me as a team that can battle themselves mentally. They need to make sure they don't look for the "Get out of jail free" card too much as I don't think that defensive mindset helps them. I also think MV handle being the chaser much better than someone being in their face and coming at them. Thats why I say Werribee shouldnt go into its shell. Especially if they can get Edrich bowling at them on any sort of a bowlers wicket!
Im not sure people in the higher grades realise the quality of Edrich. To me he's as sharp as any of the guys running around in the comp like Hutchison or Taylor. I havent seem them all but its easy to underestimate Edrich because of his run up (off about 6 steps) and physique. I would hate to face him if he ever gave a damn, had a run up or was a bit fitter.

Snagglepuss;337616 said:
I wouldnt be surprised and why would ya. It would make sense and I feel sorry for those that did start and have probably wrecked any chance they had ie. Avondale.
Werribee had just better be careful however as they come across to me as a team that can battle themselves mentally. They need to make sure they don't look for the "Get out of jail free" card too much as I don't think that defensive mindset helps them. I also think MV handle being the chaser much better than someone being in their face and coming at them. Thats why I say Werribee shouldnt go into its shell. Especially if they can get Edrich bowling at them on any sort of a bowlers wicket!
Im not sure people in the higher grades realise the quality of Edrich. To me he's as sharp as any of the guys running around in the comp like Hutchison or Taylor. I havent seem them all but its easy to underestimate Edrich because of his run up (off about 6 steps) and physique. I would hate to face him if he ever gave a damn, had a run up or was a bit fitter.

Snaggle,

Let me tell you that while both Taylor and Jody are good bowlers, they are definately not in the top 5 for pace in Senior Div.

This Edrich seems to have taken a few poles this year, what is his cricketing background?

Too Old Body Broke;337626 said:
This Edrich seems to have taken a few poles this year, what is his cricketing background?

IIRC he played at Melbourne CC and played mostly 2nds. Could have played a couple on 1s games but don't quote me.

Too Old Body Broke;337626 said:
Snaggle,

Let me tell you that while both Taylor and Jody are good bowlers, they are definately not in the top 5 for pace in Senior Div.

watched him twice in last 2 years. quick enough, but tends to bowl short or very full, which works for him in b1 but senior bats on good decks would not have great problems. Same pace as 3 or 4 blokes in senior A this year, but has the same fitness trainer as me.

Snagglepuss;336393 said:
Guru-i don't wanna get into Bear bashings here but do you think Aber Park have a bright future in terms of being able to take the next step up to Nth A? Reason I ask is that they don't seem to be a club to have many juniors coming through and they have survived and been extremely competitive for many years now on the back of a few gun players - ie. Doolan, Jones, Murray now Albers, Pascu, Wickramasinghe with some good local talent. However their depth has always been the concern and has probably been found wanting again this year, more on the bowling side. I actually really like the Bear boyz and get along with them very well however I just wonder if they will ever be able to take that next step and then if so, sustain it given they seem to have a small player base to pull from?
I suppose it's the same question for many clubs but just thought you might have a feeling on the topic?
Also I agree with you on the Edrich/Collishaw partnership. Very tough and the reason why I think they will beat the Valleys. Werribees batting can be very susceptible however which is what gives MV some hope. The fact Broughton isnt there leaves them fragile at times.

Herd a rumour that broughton is playing this week does that change your mind

jika jika;337737 said:
watched him twice in last 2 years. quick enough, but tends to bowl short or very full, which works for him in b1 but senior bats on good decks would not have great problems. Same pace as 3 or 4 blokes in senior A this year, but has the same fitness trainer as me.

Jika, he's short early in his spell usually his first one but I honestly think he bowls full because that's the way he gets his wickets as you stated. I think he foxs as he could seriously hurt someone in B1 and I think he realises this. I have faced him and he seemed to have two speeds, quicker than most playing B1 and then a speed where you think mmmm, I wasn't really close to that one. I know Aaron knows his limitations with fitness and bowls accordingly. He's a gun no matter where he was to play and I think he would trouble more than a few at the top level. To watch him and then to stick your head in front of him are 2 different things Jika but he is certainly the key this weekend. Needs to get Perera out driving with a man at backward point and not bouncing him with a man at deep square- just a tip

Re: Time rules in the Grand Finals, not much point raising it at the association AGM. History shows that the VTCA rarely listen to what the clubs have to say and are more interested in dishing out fines for late score entries, not attending meetings, etc.

I have been calling for bowling restrictions in scheduled one-dayers for years. It creates more interest in the competition, would see a few more upsets, would test the depth of the bowling team and would also test the competency of the captains. Not sure what they have against it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back