ODI XI Selection Thread

I couldn't believe it either but didn't Hauritz only get to bowl a couple of overs in the last shield match? Not saying that it was right but maybe the selectors just wanted to get him to playing some cricket?

Hauritz pulled up really sore after fielding a ball late in their innings too. He wasn't 100%. Having said that, Doherty didn't deserve to get dropped, even for a fully fit Hauritz.

The way our pacemen bowled on Wednesday I'm not sure I wouldn't have wanted to play both spinners at the expense of someone like Siddle.

The way our pacemen bowled on Wednesday I'm not sure I wouldn't have wanted to play both spinners at the expense of someone like Siddle.

That's what I actually thought of doing when looking at the teams, especially when it sounded like Smith might have been unable to bowl.

We are about to start a 7 match series against the poms and we are way out of form. Any ideas as to how this team will lift themselves. Are we to carry out of form batsman in ODI's because they are the preordained future?

The ODI side is very different to the Test side. Australia is still number 1 in the rankings and are reasonably deserved of being there. Along with Sri Lanka and South Africa, Australia are favourites to retain the World Cup.

Mind you the English will test them and I'm not sure they'll walk away with a series victory. The bowling is too weak, if the batting side collapses (which all teams will from time to time no matter how good they are), the bowling can't make up for it. The team consistently scores 240 or above with a couple of scores in the 290s of the last few matches. Then the opposition bats and blows away the bowlers.

One thing I'm liking is Brett Lee's form. Top of the wicket tally with an average of 21 for the domestic season so far and is back up to speed. He's taking the philosophy of all out or nothing, wants to show he's still young. So far it's working and he'll be around the squad, if not in it for this series. It's going to be interesting to see how he goes. At least if he's in the team it sparks a little fear, Australia don't have any bowlers with a record to match their egos at the moment.

I don't feel at all confident of the World Cup though. Rankings or no rankings.

Harris is probably gone now and he was so useful. The team has lost 3 series in a row in that format (along with every other format's losses and draws), they aren't exactly on top of the world confidence wise.

Agree beeswax, The Aussie team does not inspire confidence in any form of the game and if Ponting and Clarke carry the form they have had into the ODI's we are sunk.
I have never been a Brett Lee fan, but he would give the bowling lineup the experience and as Boris said the backable ego that is badly needed.
I still think that batting is the real problem with Aussie cricket at the moment. You can not blame the bowlers when they never have anything to bowl at. We really seem to struggle with letting players go when we think they are main stays of the team.

Agree beeswax, The Aussie team does not inspire confidence in any form of the game and if Ponting and Clarke carry the form they have had into the ODI's we are sunk.
I have never been a Brett Lee fan, but he would give the bowling lineup the experience and as Boris said the backable ego that is badly needed.
I still think that batting is the real problem with Aussie cricket at the moment. You can not blame the bowlers when they never have anything to bowl at. We really seem to struggle with letting players go when we think they are main stays of the team.
The batting of the ODI squad is much more solid. I have failed to see them score below 240 since the ODI series against England in England last year. I think it's more the bowing, in each match there has only been one stand out bowler, which Harris was most of the time, and everyone else was ordinary. I'm not sure we'll see much of Harris in the future, he has to have surgery on his Achilles and knee and with the rehab time after that we are looking at 12+ months...

It will be interesting to see if Hodge gets a run. His form definitely warrants it, but he's not a future player. He is in the original 30 picked for the World Cup side which was a bit of a surprise. I'm definitely not much of a Hodge fan, but he's really putting on a show and if they are seriously considering him for the WC he has to play in this series to show that he can actually bat at the next level as well. If he keeps batting the way he has been then I'd have him in my WC squad, he's not part of the future but he may be a path to a fourth WC in a row, then build on without him afterwards.

This is the second largest sporting event in the world, even bigger than the Olympics and it's being played on the subcontinent. This is going to be a pretty big tournament, despite being played on lifeless and boring pitches, but hopefully it shows that ODIs still have some life in them and they are worth investing in for the future. I love a good one-dayer

Yes Boris this will be a big event for the subcontinent and Australia. We won our first world cup in the subcontinent it would be good to win our fourth.
My concern was that there is enough cross over players to the ODI team from the tests that they could infect the attitude if they bring their inconsistant or non existant form and resolve with them.
I don't hold much hope out for Hodge, don't know what he did but the selectors have given him the biggest shafting over the years. I am not much of a fan of his, but he has been a fantastic cricketer and deserved more opportunities than he got.
Let's hope we have a fresh and strong start to the ODI's, we could do with it.

i would say no to hodge cause of age... but considering the world cup is around the corner and he is the best domestic bat in that format i think he should be given one more chance to prove himself at odi level. We still are arguably the best odi team in the

my team would be this, and also my current squad for the world cup.

1. S.Watson
2. B.Haddin
3. R.Ponting(c)
4. B.Hodge
5. M.Hussey
6. C.White
7. S.Smith
8. M.Johson
9. N.Hauritz
10. B.Lee
11. P.Siddle*
--
12. M.Clarke
13. C.Ferguson
14. R.Harris*
15. J.Pattinson or a J.Hopes/S.Okeefe type allrounder

knowing the selectors clake will be a straight swap for hodge and doherty probably straight swap for hauritz, but i really like this odi team. Power with the openers of haddin and watson, ponting if he gets in form is arguably the best bat in world, the form and scoring power of hodge, the consistency of hussey, the power of cam white, then deep crop of bowling allrounders in smith, johnson, haurirz and lee will assure big totals. Also has 6 genuine bowling options. Harris would be in for siddle or even johnson, but injury is preventing such. The bowling looks fragile but lee is in ripper form, johnson is a concern, hauritz we all know what were going to get, siddle is reliable and watto and smith to bowl the other 10. I reckon we are a genuine chance at the world cup to be honest.

i would say no to hodge cause of age... but considering the world cup is around the corner and he is the best domestic bat in that format i think he should be given one more chance to prove himself at odi level. We still are arguably the best odi team in the

my team would be this, and also my current squad for the world cup.

1. S.Watson
2. B.Haddin
3. R.Ponting(c)
4. B.Hodge
5. M.Hussey
6. C.White
7. S.Smith
8. M.Johson
9. N.Hauritz
10. B.Lee
11. P.Siddle*
--
12. M.Clarke
13. C.Ferguson
14. R.Harris*
15. J.Pattinson or a J.Hopes/S.Okeefe type allrounder

knowing the selectors clake will be a straight swap for hodge and doherty probably straight swap for hauritz, but i really like this odi team. Power with the openers of haddin and watson, ponting if he gets in form is arguably the best bat in world, the form and scoring power of hodge, the consistency of hussey, the power of cam white, then deep crop of bowling allrounders in smith, johnson, haurirz and lee will assure big totals. Also has 6 genuine bowling options. Harris would be in for siddle or even johnson, but injury is preventing such. The bowling looks fragile but lee is in ripper form, johnson is a concern, hauritz we all know what were going to get, siddle is reliable and watto and smith to bowl the other 10. I reckon we are a genuine chance at the world cup to be honest.

You would say no to Hodge, but put him in the side anyway. He can't help his age, nor is there much that can be done about his perception as arrogant. If you were that good, I'd forgive you for being a tad satisfied with yourself, but that's a luxury that can't be afforded to anyone other than a Sydneysider or one of the in-crowd. So here we are.

Not sure how Marsh doesn't get a game in the oen-day side of things. The team needs someone who can play a defensive role at the top of the order but also has the ability to go nuts when required.

This really is becoming a bit of a joke.

Seems to me that Warrior Shaun is slowly being given the elbow all round. Perhaps they've just given up on him due to his susceptibility to injuries. He should be in our 20/20 team at the least.

He's got good records this year and last year in all formats, but he's disappearing over the horizon.

Sorry to be negative, but i cannot see how this team will succeed.Apart from the obvious batting weaknesses in Ponting and Clarke, the selectors in their wisdom drop Hodge who has probably been the best Australian one day batsman.Now we all know the one day game is a batsmans game, so already we are playing Ponting with an average of 16.00 for the summer and Clarke who was just over 20.00.These two will hold the pivotal 3 & 4 spots. Added to that the selectors in their wisdom add Brett Lee to the squad.If the selectors believe that the addition of the 34 y.o injury riddled Brett Lee is a much more important selection than the fit and in form 36 y.o Brad Hodge then I want what they are smoking or drinking. Dirk Nannes is the quickest bowler we have behind Tait and he cannot get a look in depsite the fact that he bowls with pace and moves the ball. He is highly rated by many outside of Australia.Now we move onto Shaun Tait who is quick but has no heart.His contest is with the radar gun and that is all.What a waste. Oh yes he is injured. Dennis Lillee who was a semi pro was nearly a cripple and he got himself back to bowling by hard work and by ignoring the pain barrier.Brad Hodge must have taken a crap on someone's roses because the way he has been treated throughout his career is nothing short of disgraceful.This Sydney centric selection policy is destroying the game and the quicker we get a new selection panel and coach (Shippard) the better.David Saker has universally been credited with changing the mind set of the English bowlers and yet when he applied for the job of Australian bolwling coach he was not seriously considered, probably because he was a Vic. Let's hope that Tait does pull a heart string and Lee does not break down again.

Brad Hodge sob story board. Hodge was unlucky in that he was around when the Australian team was at its strongest, that unfortunately is just pure bad luck.

He is now 36 and selecting a guy who is that old after being out of the team for so long is pointless. That would be a huge backward step as Australia needs to rebuild, not pick guys who will probably retire in a year. He probably didn't help his cause by constantly sooking to the media when he wasn't picked and then bagging the selectors for not picking him.

The funny thing is the whining still keeps coming out of Victoria about Hodge. Let's face it, he won't play for Australia ever again, time to move on.

Brad Hodge sob story board. Hodge was unlucky in that he was around when the Australian team was at its strongest, that unfortunately is just pure bad luck.

He is now 36 and selecting a guy who is that old after being out of the team for so long is pointless. That would be a huge backward step as Australia needs to rebuild, not pick guys who will probably retire in a year. He probably didn't help his cause by constantly sooking to the media when he wasn't picked and then bagging the selectors for not picking him.

The funny thing is the whining still keeps coming out of Victoria about Hodge. Let's face it, he won't play for Australia ever again, time to move on.

I don't entirely disagree with you, however if that is the case then Michael Hussey should not play again and Brett Lee should not have been selected. There seems to be two policies in place. One for Vics and one NSW.All I am asking for is a little consistency and transparencey. Hodge has been scoring heavily in the one day arena for the past decade and he still cannot get a look in.Lee bowls a couple of overs in the Big bash and he is straight in, whilst Nannes twiddles his thumbs.

Michael Clarke (c), Cameron White (vc), Doug Bollinger, Xavier Doherty, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Shaun Tait and Shane Watson.

This is the team? i just don't get it. To many spinners, this would be fine if i thought for a moment there was a well thought out plan but that is just not happening at the moment. Where is the batting strength, it is all big hitters. No class batsman to tie the innings together. Why not someone like Khawaja, ok he hasn't the best one day record but he dose have a big innings there of 121.
Marsh is an inexcusable omission as the inclusion of some out of touch and hasbeen players is poor planning.
Will gladly eat my words if we pull this off but after our performances against SriLanka last year i have little faith. The team will fire when the conditions suit them, other wise they will be woeful.

Back