Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mas cambios

Pakistan in Australia

Hot on the heels of finishing a series against New Zealand, Pakistan make the hop over the Tasman sea to face Australia in a best of 3 tests, 5 One Day matches and the obligatory Twenty20.

Pakistan are involved in a warm up game against Tasmania at the moment. After making 437 in their first innings they shot out the hosts for 193 and are currently taking some extra batting practice.

Looking their inconsistent as usual, the main talking points will be the seemingly fragile Pakistan batting. The absence of Younus Khan means extra burden falls onto the shoulders of Mohammad Yousuf. Further attention will also be shone on the young Akmal, who has made an impressive start to his life as a test bat.

The bowling stocks are slightly stronger being led by the returning Asif. Again, focus will be on a youngster in the shape of Mohammad Aamer.

Tour Game

Sat Dec 19 - Mon Dec 21
Tasmania v Pakistanis
Bellerive Oval, Hobart

Tests

Sat Dec 26 - Wed Dec 30
1st Test - Australia v Pakistan
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Sun Jan 3 - Thu Jan 7
2nd Test - Australia v Pakistan
Sydney Cricket Ground

Thu Jan 14 - Mon Jan 18
3rd Test - Australia v Pakistan
Bellerive Oval, Hobart

One Day Series

Fri Jan 22
1st ODI - Australia v Pakistan
Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane

Sun Jan 24
2nd ODI - Australia v Pakistan
Sydney Cricket Ground

Tue Jan 26
3rd ODI - Australia v Pakistan
Adelaide Oval

Fri Jan 29
4th ODI - Australia v Pakistan
Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth

Sun Jan 31
5th ODI - Australia v Pakistan
Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth

Fri Feb 5
Only T20I - Australia v Pakistan
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Pakistan Squad:

Mohammad Yousuf, Abdur Rauf, Danish Kaneria, Faisal Iqbal, Fawad Alam, Imran Farhat, Kamran Akmal, Khurram Manzoor, Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Asif, Mohammad Sami, Saeed Ajmal, Salman Butt, Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal, Umar Gul

Re: Pakistan in Australia

Hughes in as cover for Ponting, Siddle into the side, Hilfenhaus still injured.

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Ricky Ponting (c), TAS
Michael Clarke (vc), NSW
Doug Bollinger, NSW
Brad Haddin, NSW
Nathan Hauritz, NSW
Phillip Hughes, NSW
Mike Hussey, WA
Mitchell Johnson, WA
Simon Katich, NSW
Clint McKay, VIC
Marcus North, WA
Peter Siddle, VIC
Shane Watson, NSW

I presume McKay will be 12th man.

Can't believe Siddle has been in the team for a year. He still seems so new to the team.

They wont miss Hilfy thats for sure, not suited to the MCG

I would love to see Bollinger or Johnson break down at the last minute and both Victorians play

Hughes in shows they clearly dont rate the Pakistan attack at all, hopefully they have some pace, Hughes will find it very different to a team with 3 medium pacers and 2 spinners as their attack :p

They pretty much said in the article Hughes won't be playing, just along to cover themselves so they don't look like idiots without a second plan.

Then why not pick Rogers or White or Dussey who dont have to travel anywhere?

Or have they only picked Hughes to shut up the morons up north who cant stop crapping on about him despite his constant failures to make any big scores this year now he has been worked out

It's only a sign that selectors are 'thinking of the future' because they know very well Ponting is going to play but it's just a ploy to keep the public thinking that they are thinking ahead.

Stop fishing for a reaction Eddie. Duss and Rogers don't have a future with the Australian Test team, pointless to bring them into the squad. Hughes just made a timely century and everyone knows he's going to be a massive part of the side for years to come, he's the logical choice.

White will get his chance eventually, but between him and Hughes which has just made a FC century?

Oh yeah such a huge century, for a bloke who cant play a short ball there was nothing better for him than to face an attack with no pace bowlers in it and therefore opened with 2 medium pacers

All he has to do is learn to duck and he will be in the team. Maybe not quite so soon but he should be at some point.

I prefer Jaques to all the aforementioned names anyway, just on personal preference. Always though of him as your average Test playing great that will churn out runs in a Langer style.

I think it's ridiculous that the following players have been overlooked in front of Hughes:

Chris Rogers
Nick Jewell
David Hussey
Cameron White
Brad Hodge
Rob Quiney
Dean Jones
Lloyd Mash
Graeme Rummans
Jason Arnberger
Jon Moss
Ian Harvey

The list goes on....

Hughes is the logical choice, we need him in the team sooner or later, his a dynamic player capable of taking the attack to the bowling while also capable of scoring big hundreds.

This team isn't getting any younger, our batting is missing something at the moment, if Ponting skips the MCG then it will be a massive match for our batting order, someone has to stand up and score runs without Ponting leading the way.

All our collapses have occured of late when Ponting either hasn't been able to bat (Perth) or his fallen cheaply. That is a worrying sign, not only for the future when Ponting retires, but also in the short-term when Ponting gets out for a low score, as all players do.

Hughes is a gun batsmen, who had to go away and think about his game, but also think about how he is going to combat bowlers who start working away at him. That may mean getting down the other end rather then blazing 4's, it may mean taking a few on the body.

I'm all for Hughes being given whatever opportunities he can. It puzzles me though, that they cast him aside for whatever other plan they had in mind and leave him to go and work on his game. Then, without hitting anywhere near the form that got him into contention in the first place, they say he's earnt another crack.

His form has been quite ordinary. In fact, he's doing no better than any other state player in the competition who is just earning his spot. He has finally made a ton, but I have to say it would be against the weakest attack in First Class cricket in this land at the moment. I hope they don't expect too much if he is given a start.

a for effort;381596 said:
I think it's ridiculous that the following players have been overlooked in front of Hughes:

Chris Rogers
Nick Jewell
David Hussey
Cameron White
Brad Hodge
Rob Quiney
Dean Jones
Lloyd Mash
Graeme Rummans
Jason Arnberger
Jon Moss
Ian Harvey

The list goes on....

So it does, Simon O'Donnell and Bill Lawry would be a bit annoyed to miss that list.

I am not the biggest fan of rushing Hughes back but he is clearly the option the selectors like in the mid to long term. Given that this covers the next ashes series, in all likliehood, get him in now, push watson down, drop hussey and hope Asif and co give that short ball problem a massive work out.

I reckon the Pakistan series would be a good one for Hughes to come back in, if needs be. None of the Pakistan quicks are quick quick and he has to learn to deal with the short ball some time. First class/grade cricketers are not going to test him as much as test standard.

Sure, it's a gamble and he's not been in great form but Australia need to look to the future and he's it.

Shame that this probably means he will go to NZ, always manages to avoid Nannes and co at the fast and bouncy MCG, no wonder his first class record is good

Thumbs up;381710 said:
So it does, Simon O'Donnell and Bill Lawry would be a bit annoyed to miss that list.

I am not the biggest fan of rushing Hughes back but he is clearly the option the selectors like in the mid to long term. Given that this covers the next ashes series, in all likliehood, get him in now, push watson down, drop hussey and hope Asif and co give that short ball problem a massive work out.

He is a future player but really we are bringing in an opener to fill the number 3 spot, bit suprising. plus the fact his form is really quite terrible minus that last hundred.

Victoria are continuing to show why they are the best state team in the country yet we struggle to fill any batsman in the current team. Rogers has been in some solid form and then the ex-vic Klinger is showing he can make runs. Marsh from WA is carving out big scores yet can't get a look.

HOpefully Ponting comes up as we are giving the Pakistani's a free wicket if Hughes walks out as the barrage of short stuff will send him back for less then 10 runs both innings.

mas cambios;381712 said:
None of the Pakistan quicks are quick quick and he has to learn to deal with the short ball some time.

Bit harsh on Mohammed Aamer, he bowl just under 150 clicks, very sharp and swings the ball, definately one to look for. ;)

If i had my way, Hughes would be in for Hussey, and Watson put down the order at number 4 or something. The annoying thing is that Hussey may be kept in the team for making runs against a pretty dismal attack. That 50 at the Gabba would be one of the worst 50's ive ever seen.

Lets hope Mitchell Johnson can hit his straps in this series.

Ponting will be fine.

This is most likely a ploy just to get us good citizens thinking as we are.

Maybe a bit of trickery on the part of the Aussie team too, make the Pakistanis think Ponting is injured in that elbow, and with any luck they will deliver a barrage of short stuff to him only to find the best pull and hooker in the world will score freely and get his innings underway, to get the attention away from his very nervous starts outside and on off stump and full.

Back