Pakistan In Zimbabwe

troll3y

The two T20s weren't disastrous for Zimbabwe, per se, especially for the first outings in a potentially tumultuous post-Jarvis era, but I can't help feeling the results could have been a little closer. A 15-run margin is the result that the ICC deems to be "close" in T20s, though both losses fell just outside that margin.

That said, I'm VERY excited at the current position in the first ODI: Zimbabwe are exactly half way on 122/1 after only 27 overs, chasing Pakistan's 244/7. The top three bowlers were exceptional, taking a combined 4/112 in their 30 overs, and the opening batsmen put on 107 for the first wicket in 23.3 overs with Hamilton Masakadza still going on 62*. If Brendan Taylor, currently on 8*, can find some form by guiding the run chase through to the end and remaining not out, it'll cap off the perfect start that almost no one could have expected!

(Combine this thread with this one please, mods.)

I had some nervous moments following the Cricinfo commentary in bed at about 1am. I'm still not sure why they send Timycen Maruma ahead of Sean Williams, but it ended up working well for them. There are still areas of improvement for Zimbabwe (catching, fourth and fifth bowlers, century makers, the number four spot), but this win is a major shot in the arm for Zimbabwean cricket.

I had some nervous moments following the Cricinfo commentary in bed at about 1am. I'm still not sure why they send Timycen Maruma ahead of Sean Williams, but it ended up working well for them. There are still areas of improvement for Zimbabwe (catching, fourth and fifth bowlers, century makers, the number four spot), but this win is a major shot in the arm for Zimbabwean cricket.

Zimbabwe should celebrate the win but they shouldn't get ahead of themselves and continue to work on their game.

Isn't Sean Williams leaving Zimbabwe cricket though? :(

Not that anyone has reported. It was speculated that Charles Coventry was looking to follow Kyle Jarvis to England, and Craig Ervine had previously turned down a winter contract.

Craig Ervine is now trying to make the Irish side. The ultimate rejection...

well, Zimbabwe were doing alright at 200/4 chasing 299 in the second ODI, but losing 6 for 9 really throws a spanner in the works. Brendan Taylor looks to have found a bit of form, but the lack of a century-maker is hurting. Someone really needs to step up and convert a 70 or 80 into triple figures.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe have requested that Sri Lanka's tour in October be postponed due to "unavoidable circumstances". A vague reason, but it suggested to be due to lack of funds.

They're probably being distracted with off-field events, but at least they've shown us and the world what they're capable of. I hope the Zimbabwean players can settle down and play these two Tests with the mettle they showed in the first ODI. The Sri Lankan board seems to have already moved on from Zimbabwe, so they should treat these Tests as the last ones for the season. After hosting Bangladesh in April, getting to host India and Pakistan back-to-back was a great coup for ZC, and they can treat that like a cricketing summer that England and Australia do annually. A Sri Lankan tour would have been great to round off the Asian bloc and increase the number of top-flight Tests (I'm still miffed at India for that), but Zimbabwe can at least be grateful that teams are willing to tour. Seeing the same for Pakistan would be nice.

Pakistan ended up winning by 221 runs, Younis Khan hit a double ton in the second innings and then Pakistan quickly ran through Zimbabwe's batting line-up to win the game quite easily in the end. Saeed Ajmal finished with 11 wickets for the match.

Looks like the second game will go ahead too despite ZC being heavily in debt. It is estimated the debt is around US$15 million with some members of the organisation having not been paid since June. ZC are now trying to secure another loan in order to satisfy the unpaid staff and players as well.

After a completely dominant start by the Pakistani opening bowlers, I thought Zimbabwe fought very well up until tea. They can still be pretty happy at being 237/8 at stumps, but it could have been a little better. Brendan Taylor said at the toss that they don't want to bat last on this re-used pitch, but I'm interested to see how Zimbabwe's bowlers will go about trying to exploit the pitch, particularly when they've only got one frontline spinner in Prosper Utseya. (Man, I wish Ray Price was still playing.) I have a feeling that these unique conditions will highlight the difference in maturity and experience between the two teams; I can see Pakistan's bowlers and batters handling the pitch much better.

Well at stumps in the second test, Pakistan are 5/158 needing another 108 runs to win. What a thrilling final day we are in for.

I'm somehow going to have to slip away from the rugby at 6pm EST to watch at least the first hour of this. Hopefully a crowd will turn up to witness something special from Vitori & Co, who in turn will hopefully find an extra gear on the fifth morning. I'll say it again: I wish Ray Price was still playing for Zimbabwe. I'm not sure if Prosper Utseya has proved himself to be a quality front-line spinner.

VERY happy. Somehow I hope this can be a financial boon for Zimbabwean cricket, but it's really the ZC Board that needs to sort itself out. The only sour point of the wonderful team celebrations on the fall of the final wicket was that apparently Peter Chingoka, President of ZC, was there to soak up the limelight. The players have made a vociferous statement this series, and thoroughly deserve their dues.

Looking ahead, Zimbabwe have "proposed a triangular series with South Africa and Australia next year after the World T20, which will be played in Bangladesh", but I can't tell if that means they're playing the tri-series in Bangladesh or that it's after the WT20 in Bangladesh. That series will (should) only be ODIs (or, worst case, T20s), but it's a great start. I'm also overjoyed to read that "there could be a 'possibility' of [Zimbabwe] hosting Ireland for four-day matches", and especially that "it is one of the programmes that have been proposed for Full Members, to engage Associate members". Progress.

Good win by Zimbabwe but they have a long way to go. Getting rid of parasites such as Chingoka and the rest of his cronies should be the aim but I can't see much change happening anytime soon. It's a shame because Zimbabwe used to be a fairly decent side towards the late 90's and very early 2000's.

Back