Player of the Decade

Who has been the player of the last decade?

• Brian Lara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Jacques Kallis

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Mohammad Yousuf

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

• Other (specify below)

• Total voters

mas cambios

Player of the Decade

Boycott was recently asked to nominate his player of the last decade.

Other names mentioned included Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne, Jacques Kallis, Kumar Sangakkara, Mohammad Yousuf and Muttiah Muralitharan.

He worked through the pros and cons of each before settling on Ponting and Kallis as joint contenders.

The full article can be read here - 'Kallis, Ponting the best in this decade' | Bowl at Boycs | Cricinfo Talk | Cricinfo.com (Click 'Transcript' and then it's the final question).

Do you agree with him or is there someone else out there who deserves the praise. Also, in the interest of keeping it interesting can we actually have a bit of information to back up your choice - weigh up the pros/cons etc.

Re: Player of the Decade

They're certainly the two players to beat. They are both players who are certainties to be inducted into the ICC HoF as soon as reasonable after their retirement.

Players like Warne, Sangakarra and Lara played their best cricket in the 90s and early years of this decade. For the two we're talking about, the turn of the century came at just the same time, right in their mid-20s as they matured into complete players and have been dominant ever since.

Over the last 10 years they have been arguably THE central figures in their very dominant sides. That's not to say that Tendulkar, Muraliduran, Yousuf, Tendulkar etc were not, but their teams haven't reached the same heights over the same period.

They're also players who have had very negligible periods of poor form. Yousuf, Lara and Tendulkar are/were players of phenomenal talent who did nonetheless have protracted periods in the doldrums.

At the end of the day, it's hard to go past Kallis. Since the turn of the century he's averaged 58 with the bat (compared to Ponting's 59) and 31 with the ball. Ponting is one of the alltime greats of the game, but a strong argument can be made that Kallis the greatest allrounder ever to step on a cricket field. It's hard to compete with that.

That is completely true.

I voted Ponting because his has captained an unbeatable side as well, and there is definitely an argument that he is in the top 5 batsman of all time.

Since all rounders have obviously not been as prolific as batsman, then it is harder to break into that position due to the large numbers.

But saying that, the reason there are so few all rounders is that it requires a huge amount of talent to fill it. And usually all rounders are either very batting dominant or bowling dominant, but Kallis can hold his own up in either form extremely well.

I was also tempted to put Warne in there, considering he is now probably considered the second greatest cricketer of all time, but I decided to spread the awards around :D

I am not going to cast a vote because I fear I am not eminently qualified to do it justice, such is the difficulty of the decision.

However I would mention the name Adam Gilchrist and ask if he should at least be a nominee. The reason for this from my perspcetive is...........

a) The current listed players in the poll demand respect from there opposition and of course also everyone else. Gilchrist demands the same but also generated extreme genuine fear in the opposition at the same time. This is because he could potentially single handedly steel a game win from a hopeless losing position. Games were never really decided until you had Ghilchrist out. I mean this in the truest sense, unlike the same off the cuff remark made of other batmen. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't thing anyone else has had such a dramatic impact on batting within all forms of the game, certainly in contemporary times.

b) He redefined what is considered aggressive power batting in what had already become a more aggressive contemporary batting environment.

c) Add his keeping ability to his batting power and he becomes a potent team weapon. Not to mention he kept to Shane Warne for a fair period and has contribute substantially to his success. Whether you rate his keeping or not, when you look at the full package you would pick him anyway as your keeper every time I suspect over anyone else.

d) Probably one of the greatest entertainers, if not the greatest, in the short form of the game there has been. Sometimes taking that strategy into the test arena as well. Genuine wow factor for the viewing public. Anticipation and expectation every time he went out to bat and so often he delivered.

e) The consumate team man both on and off the field. Presents in public like a diplomat. A great ambassador for the game!

I may be out of my depth here but what are peoples thoughts on such a suggestion that he be in the mix? Maybe the above is not enough to be listed?

onemoreover;373063 said:
I am not going to cast a vote because I fear I am not eminently qualified to do it justice, such is the difficulty of the decision.

However I would mention the name Adam Gilchrist and ask if he should at least be a nominee. The reason for this from my perspcetive is...........

a) The current listed players in the poll demand respect from there opposition and of course also everyone else. Gilchrist demands the same but also generated extreme genuine fear in the opposition at the same time. This is because he could potentially single handedly steel a game win from a hopeless losing position. Games were never really decided until you had Ghilchrist out. I mean this in the truest sense, unlike the same off the cuff remark made of other batmen. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't thing anyone else has had such a dramatic impact on batting within all forms of the game, certainly in contemporary times.

b) He redefined what is considered aggressive power batting in what had already become a more aggressive contemporary batting environment.

c) Add his keeping ability to his batting power and he becomes a potent team weapon. Not to mention he kept to Shane Warne for a fair period and has contribute substantially to his success. Whether you rate his keeping or not, when you look at the full package you would pick him anyway as your keeper every time I suspect over anyone else.

d) Probably one of the greatest entertainers, if not the greatest, in the short form of the game there has been. Sometimes taking that strategy into the test arena as well. Genuine wow factor for the viewing public. Anticipation and expectation every time he went out to bat and so often he delivered.

e) The consumate team man both on and off the field. Presents in public like a diplomat. A great ambassador for the game!

I may be out of my depth here but what are peoples thoughts on such a suggestion that he be in the mix? Maybe the above is not enough to be listed?

Definitely, 100% certain he should be in there.

Whether he wins or not is a different question, obviously close but so is everyone there.

He would be about 3rd on my list, with the first two really undetermined.

He is one of my favourite all-time players.

Boris;373065 said:
Definitely, 100% certain he should be in there.

Whether he wins or not is a different question, obviously close but so is everyone there.

He would be about 3rd on my list, with the first two really undetermined.

He is one of my favourite all-time players.

Adam Gilchrist = Great entertainer

Out and Out Champion

Jacques Kallis is a fine cricketer, but im not sure if his bowling has ever had many sides trembling in fear, he may average 31 on paper, and that is a fine effort in itselfy, but I don't associate his bowling as anything to write home about.

His batting, while statisitcally great, is also not something that will keep you up at night. He scores runs, but the way he scores his runs doesn't overly worry you because he does seem to take his time a bit.

Im not saying his a bad player, his an all time great in South Africa's cricket history, but Ponting for mine is the better match-winning batsmen.

You can't split either of them really, Ponting obviously doesn't have the bowling talent of kallis, but Kallis doesn't have the ability to dominate a match like Ponting does with the blade. On that balance Id pick Ponting before Kallis, because you need a good number 3 batsmen before you need an all-rounder.

Kallis has dominated plenty of matches, in both roles.

He's certainly one of the most boring players around with bat and ball, which is why he's probably one of the most underrated as well. He may not make many highlights reels, but the results don't lie.

Caesar;373155 said:
Kallis has dominated plenty of matches, in both roles.

He's certainly one of the most boring players around with bat and ball, which is why he's probably one of the most underrated as well. He may not make many highlights reels, but the results don't lie.

Not saying he hasn't dominated many matchs, but as a batsmen id take Ponting over him every day of the week.

Kallis does have the extra option of being a bowler but does that mean he should be classified as a better cricketer then Ricky Ponting?

Over the period in question their batting average is virtually identical. IIRC Ponting has a couple more centuries, Kallis has a couple more 50s. Ponting's certainly the better batsman, but not by THAT much.

On the other hand, Kallis is a good enough bowler he'd probably make the South African Test side (currently the best in the world) as their third seamer even if he couldn't hold a bat. He's not just a 'bowling option' - he's a quality Test-level bowler in his own right.

To me, that gives him a definite edge. If there was more between them as batsmen I might feel differently.

I chose Ponting over Kallis because of Ponting's captaincy. He is playing hasn't drooped as he earnt the captaincy, instead gotten better, and to be the absolute best batsman in the best side of the world means that in essence no matter what figures anyone else put up, the whole time Australia was no.1, he was no.1. Just for him to be in that miracle team was something else, remember Australia have absolutely smashed South Africa and Kallis, Kallis doesn't have the best averages against Ponting's team.

Kallis is one of my favourite players in the world currently though, and he deserves that honour of being the top of this list too.

And just on the all-rounder vs batsman thing. Just because Kallis can bowl doesn't mean he's been a more influencial and better cricketer then Ponting. Ponting doesn't bowl, his choice, all-rounders should not be considered better than pure batsman or pure bowlers because for one thing, they rarely ever are.

They are both the in the finest class of cricketers, both should be in the best team ever created, and both should sit proud as the best players of this decade, if not longer.

For this little exercise though, if I had to pick one it would be Ponting because of the aforementioned things, mostly to do with what team they are in. Not much to split them.

Let's not leave the others out of this though. Murali has had a few good years, including frightening the pants off Australia, India and South Africa. The world's highest wicket taker. He would have to be in contention would he not?

Shane Warne was an absolute gem. Thought his ability to win games with the ball is enough to make him up there as the best player of the decade. Ponting is a gun but he is around in a day of pitches designed for batsman and he played in one of the best teams in history.

Bit hard on our forum to judge best player so many aussie supporters here.

BigShot;373243 said:
Sachin Tendulkar - his class and consistently producing great performances rains high.

I know he's outstanding and all, and it may be the lack of matches I have seen him in, but to me he has always seemed just a tad uninspiring. It's only me but he's not the best on my list.

D.K;373251 said:
Shane Warne was an absolute gem. Thought his ability to win games with the ball is enough to make him up there as the best player of the decade. Ponting is a gun but he is around in a day of pitches designed for batsman and he played in one of the best teams in history.

Bit hard on our forum to judge best player so many aussie supporters here.

I actually thought Warne was a given, but with him getting so many rewards I was going to pass it around so the others could get a share :D. Like with Murali, whether he has a suspect action or gets most of his wickets against minnows, he's still a bloody good bowler and also suffers a lack of respect by living during the rein of Warne.

Boris - mate Tendulkar uninspiring? - I cannot believe that you mentioned that. I hope it is because he has struggled in Australia but he and Lara have to be the most dominant batsman in the early 90's. I can remember him dominating various matches to the point where it was becoming a matter of how much he is going to score and when if ever he is get dismissed.

I chose Kallis for the obvious reason that he has really been the batsman that has saved South Africa on numerous occasions. However the issue I have with him is he has never dominated any attacks (let alone score a double hundred which is one of the characteristics of the better batsman having them). His bowling has suffered due to his injuries and excessive innings.

There are so many great players in the poll I think it comes down to personal memories and how you see players and their abilities.

hattrick;373264 said:
Boris - mate Tendulkar uninspiring? - I cannot believe that you mentioned that. I hope it is because he has struggled in Australia but he and Lara have to be the most dominant batsman in the early 90's. I can remember him dominating various matches to the point where it was becoming a matter of how much he is going to score and when if ever he is get dismissed.

I chose Kallis for the obvious reason that he has really been the batsman that has saved South Africa on numerous occasions. However the issue I have with him is he has never dominated any attacks (let alone score a double hundred which is one of the characteristics of the better batsman having them). His bowling has suffered due to his injuries and excessive innings.

There are so many great players in the poll I think it comes down to personal memories and how you see players and their abilities.

I know, I know! Tendulkar is one of the greatest cricketers to have ever lived, but as you say it comes down to personal memories. Of all the times I have seen him in matches, quite often against Australia, but not all of them, he has hit a good shot and then gotten out. That is just my memory of him. That is why he doesn't rank as high on my list. Also the Indians talk him up a LOT whereas for some reason Australian's always put down Ponting. Also I am biased in that I strongly dislike Indian cricket of late.

Whereas Lara, as you say also dominant in the same way, I have very positive memories of. I have seen many, many innings of him and have seen a lot of the highlights of his career, including his double century against the Australians in I think it was Adelaide (not sure though), which was one of the best centuries, let alone double centuries, I have ever seen. Also I have family in the West Indies and absolutely love the team.

The only thing you are going to get on a forum dominated by Australian's of all people is bias and judgments made purely from how much TV we have watched. But then again I guess that's the same with the ICC. In a person's own head they can rank McGrath as the best batsman ever, it's your own opinion that counts in statistics and ranking. It's more your ability to convince others that makes you right.

I still rate Ponting's WC 2003 innings as the most inspiring innings ever played on a cricket field, both near and far. The timing was unbelievable, the sheer power, every shot was the peak of sports entertainment today. The crack of will on leather, I can still hear the sound of it nearly 7 years on.

Ponting is a god.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;373276 said:
I still rate Ponting's WC 2003 innings as the most inspiring innings ever played on a cricket field, both near and far. The timing was unbelievable, the sheer power, every shot was the peak of sports entertainment today. The crack of will on leather, I can still hear the sound of it nearly 7 years on.

Ponting is a god.

You are the king of hyperbole. It was an ODI innings, not the renaissance.

Tendulkar for me, sustained brilliance over an extended period of time

I'll go Ponting from Sachin just!. Kallis gets too bogged down, bores the shit out of me, good cricketer just boring.

Back