Player of the Decade

Who has been the player of the last decade?

• Brian Lara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Jacques Kallis

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Mohammad Yousuf

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

• Other (specify below)

• Total voters
Re: Player of the Decade

Buddy23#;373424 said:
I'll go Ponting from Sachin just!. Kallis gets too bogged down, bores the shit out of me, good cricketer just boring.

Excitement doesn't count for anything in Test cricket. If you aren't excited by someone able to stop 200 or more deliveries from getting them out, no matter the method, then Test cricket isn't the game for you. Being able to block is just as good a skill as any in Test cricket, and just think that there are only a select few from any country able to face 100+balls from Warne, McGrath, Gillespie and Lee. Kallis is one of them.

Boris;373431 said:
Excitement doesn't count for anything in Test cricket. If you aren't excited by someone able to stop 200 or more deliveries from getting them out, no matter the method, then Test cricket isn't the game for you. Being able to block is just as good a skill as any in Test cricket, and just think that there are only a select few from any country able to face 100+balls from Warne, McGrath, Gillespie and Lee. Kallis is one of them.

I've watched heaps of test cricket i love it!. If Ponting scores a quick big score it gives Australia more time to bowl a side out twice. If Kallis scores a slow bogged down big score it gives South Africa less time to bowl a side out twice. Good player to save a match, not to win it. ;)

Buddy23#;373458 said:
I've watched heaps of test cricket i love it!. If Ponting scores a quick big score it gives Australia more time to bowl a side out twice. If Kallis scores a slow bogged down big score it gives South Africa less time to bowl a side out twice. Good player to save a match, not to win it. ;)

I see your point and I agree with it, but the side needs at least one rock. That is Kallis. In the Australian team it comes in a couple of players, mostly Hussey (at his best). Nobody can get them out. And besides Kallis has a second gear. He can play ODIs just as well.

Ponting for me but they are equal.

a for effort;373290 said:
You are the king of hyperbole. It was an ODI innings, not the renaissance.

Tendulkar for me, sustained brilliance over an extended period of time

I think I remember Tendulkar choking in that match, a world cup final..

It's my opinion, Pontings innings in the 2003 WC is one of the best I have ever seen in ODI's, Tendulkars went close today, but Ponting just pipped him at the post.

I enjoy watching Ponting play much more than Kallis - his shot making abilities are pure brilliance and he can fiddle around with quality test attacks like they're D grade cricketers. Kallis churns out 100s but they're not nearly at Ponting's level.

Having said this, my vote goes to Kallis. His record doesn't lie. From a players perspective, I can appreciate Kallis a hell of a lot more as you can see the immense discipline he carries into every single bloody knock. This is how I have to make runs, and how the majority of us have to make runs - not saying Ponting doens't have discipline but there's no doubt it's a lot easier for him to score quickly. Then after his innings he'll turn around and take 3 fa. He's not from another planet like Ponting is but **** the man can play cricket.

Re: Player of the decade

Tough one. Kallis seems like a good pick as he's been excellent with both bat and ball.

Damn, I was going to say Kallis, was hoping to be different. I thought SRT and Ponting would have dominated responses.

Ponting is a close second but Kallis is one of the best (if not the best) allrounders in the game, ever. He brings a lot to any team and gives South Africa a lot of options when fully fit - which is why he edges it.

Ponting has taken off this decade. Especially the last 3-4 years

Gilchrist was immense early 2000s and has ended up a player that has revonlutionalised the way we look at wicket keepers. Smashed attacks from all over the world

dan.jpg

Daniel Vettori

Brilliant bowler cum middle-order batman, outstanding captain, and he apparently coaches the side himself these days, and consistently gets the absolute best of out an average team.

Not to mention his exemplary sportsmanship, a rare trait amongst modern-day cricketers.

Back