Pomersbach charged with assault

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Pomersbach charged with assault

Western Australia batsman Luke Pomersbach has been charged with assaulting police while allegedly trying to escape custody after a traffic accident

More...

Re: Pomersbach charged with assault

Much, much worse that that Kram,

Charges:

Failing to stop
Failing to accompany police
Driving in excess of .08
Assaulting a police officer
Obstructing police
Escaping legal custody

Looking at jail time you'd think.

Can he play footy? With a CV like that he'd fit right in down at West Coast :)

Gee, I knew about the running from the cops but didn't realise it was that bad. It's frustrating that some people just don't realise how lucky they are to have the talent to play sport for a living and bloody waste it.

This is a first offence so i think that gaol time is extremely unlikely.
much of this is no worse than some of the things that Ponting, Martyn or Langer got up to in their early days so it seems unlikely that he would be excluded from the Australian team for this one act- look how many chances Ponting got in his early days.
the guy has way too much talent to be excluded completely from the side forever; he'll be in the WA team some time before Christmas.

bren122;359553 said:
This is a first offence so i think that gaol time is extremely unlikely.
much of this is no worse than some of the things that Ponting, Martyn or Langer got up to in their early days so it seems unlikely that he would be excluded from the Australian team for this one act- look how many chances Ponting got in his early days.
the guy has way too much talent to be excluded completely from the side forever; he'll be in the WA team some time before Christmas.

I'm pretty sure none of the players you have mentioned have ever been involved in a double hit-and-run, while drunk, and then assaulted a police officer and evaded arrest. It's a question of how much jail time he gets, not whether he gets any or not.

a for effort;359575 said:
I'm pretty sure none of the players you have mentioned have ever been involved in a double hit-and-run, while drunk, and then assaulted a police officer and evaded arrest. It's a question of how much jail time he gets, not whether he gets any or not.

He wont get jail. Hopefully he learns from this, does his penance and gets back to doing what he does best.

It could make a new olympic event also.
1- Drink 10 pots
2- Drive through a car infested maze
3- Assualt a copper
4- Run for finish line with 20 coppers chasing

Only joking.

a for effort;359575 said:

when i posted i hadn't heard of the hit and run; the details are still a bit sketchy on the stories i have seen so i won't say any more until i know more or you can provide details- it's hard to speak to the possible sentence without knowing what he did.

as for the rest i still think it is a suspended sentence and community service for an Australian Cricketer- you or me would be doing time (and no- i don't think it is fair).

i was only trying to make a comparison with Ponting, Langer and Martyn; all three were more punching bags than fighters so it is difficult to imagine them evading police; assaulting police by repeatedly bumping their heads against a copper's fist seems more their style. LOL
Pommersbach, depending on the hit and runs, will get his wrist slapped and sit on the national sidelines for five or six years and, if he behaves, make a comeback- when we will all have a good laugh at his youthful indiscretions.

seems as though the WACA punished him harder than the courts did; definitely did not like the magistrate's comment that the assault of a police officer comes with a sliding scale. one would have thought that assault on an officer of the law is an assault on the law.

fined $3500 and license suspended for 6 months.
WACA fined him $10 000 and suspended him 2 seasons.

bren122;360074 said:
seems as though the WACA punished him harder than the courts did; definitely did not like the magistrate's comment that the assault of a police officer comes with a sliding scale. one would have thought that assault on an officer of the law is an assault on the law.

fined $3500 and license suspended for 6 months.
WACA fined him $10 000 and suspended him 2 seasons.

i hereby declare that the WACA should be the government. if everyone had to pay $10 000 for that then maybe it would decrease. good on the warriors.

would he be able to get a contract with another state?

technically; he could get a contract with another state as he has not been sanctioned by Cricket Australia but i doubt that there would be too many who would want to open that particular can of worms. plus CA may yet wade into the waters.
it will be interesting to see how it will affect his county prospects; or even an IPL contract?

I saw this on Luke Pomersbach crashes car, assaults cop | Warriors | Cricket

and it seems he has a history of behavioral issues, as mentioned in the article.

Code:
ACA chief executive Graeme Wood said Pomersbach could return to the side on January 1 "upon favourable evaluation". 

"Luke must attend all medical and counselling sessions as required by the WACA and strictly adhere to the terms of his playing contract," Wood said. 

Pomersbach, a hard-hitting bastman who made his one Twenty20 appearance for Australia against New Zealand in 2007, has also been banned from training with the WA squad until at least October 1.

Code:
Miss Woods said she took into account evidence from the police officer who was attacked that he had received only minor injuries after being pushed by Pomersbach. 

These included a bump to his head, scratches to his elbows and damage to his thumb.

She said while any assault on a police officer was a serious matter it was at the lower end of the scale. 

She fined Pomersbach a total of $2000 on the assault and escape lawful custody charges, and $1500 on the traffic offences.  His driver's licence was suspended for six months.

source: WA cricketer Luke Pomersbach admits wild road rampage | PerthNow

It seems that he has been punished pretty severely and I wonder how this will effect his deal with the King XI Punjab in the IPL .. from what I have seen of him .. in terms of cricket .. I think he has a future but I sense he will have to learn to control whatever demons he has. I would be surprised if he gets another contract until this is resolved.. Herschelle Gibbs had to go through counseling before being allowed to play any sort of cricket.

the key will come down to what Cricketing Australia does; if it agrees with the two season ban and rules him out of national selection then everything else will fall into place. i am told that a ban in one state applies to all states under CA rules- but not to CA selection. technically he can head off to South Africa for the summer and County and IPL for the winter and still gain CA selection. this is just what i have been told by someone who i would think would know but i (and he) could be wrong because we weren't talking over a pile of rule books.
the reason for a two season ban is that it is the new minimum residency requirement for international players; technically if it were longer a player could use the time to qualify for another country. also the use of seasons instead of years means that he can still play for another competition- County, IPL or South Africa (for example)- so that when he does come back he is not starting from scratch. but with CA selecting Mike Hussey despite his decision to not play Sheffield Shield anymore it is difficult to say what will happen. if CA select Pomersbach then the whole discipline structure of the state sides will have to change. i just can't see that happening, or if it does then the executive and selectors will quickly be replaced.
if Pomersbach does have a problem then he will have to address this himself; but he is fortunate to have Lillee as WACA president, Wood as CEO and Moody as coach- all three have experience in dealing with ratbag players- the latter two got the most out of Langer and Martyn and put them on the road to their various national selections. the severity of the fine would be a wake-up for Pomersbach, but also for the other players in the wake of Hussey's decision. this winter has seen a lot of talk about state pride; i would be very surprised if Langer didn't get an adviser/ mentor role when he is finished in England this year.
the one i am looking forward to is what is going to happen to Hussey when he gets dropped from the national side- i just can't see Wood or Moody- two of the hardest men ever to play for this state- opening the door for him to come back. plus there are rumours that his original decision was prompted by Wood backing up Moody's push for greater discipline- if he can't work with them where does he go? and given his decision to not play for WA at his most valuable, who else is going to have him?

Back