Ponting retires from Twenty20 internationals

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Ponting retires from Twenty20 internationals

Ricky Ponting has announced his retirement from international Twenty20 cricket in a bid to extend his Test and ODI playing career

More...

Re: Ponting retires from Twenty20 internationals

Mmm I guess, but I don't know how much it will do to 'rest' him. We don't actually play very many T20 International matches - I think this year we've had six, nine if you include the World T20. No more scheduled before Christmas.

Compare that to 23 ODIs since January, and this year we've still got:
- Rest of NatWest series (5 matches)
- Champions Trophy (3 to 5)
- Tour of India (5)

So, 33-35 ODIs in a calendar year compared to 9 T20s. Factor in the fact that the games are shorter, and you're looking at T20Is being only about 10% of our limited overs schedule. When you factor in Tests, it's not actually going to reduce his workload by any meaningful amount.

But Ponting will want to play WC2011, so don't expect a full pyjama retirement any times soon.

i like this move because T20 isnt really his form anyway.

if i were clarke i would do the same thing too. his captaincy is worse then pontings, so nothing special to make him undroppable, and is his definately not a T20 player, i barely call him an ODI player to be honest. would rather ferguson play in his spot and free the side up a bit.

i think its time for players to call their own shots and stick with the games they should play, not want to play. im sure they get enough money anyway, so dropping one form isnt going to hurt them.

I must be honest this does not surprise me but opens one interesting question. Every time an Australian captain has been asked to retire then the new captain has been given the job. I think of when Tubby Taylor, Steve Waugh did move on - the new option became the specific formats captain.

So that is 2 international skippers down (along with Younis Khan of Pakistan) and only playing ODIs and Tests..

Fair enough move, we have a T20 world cup next year (believe it or not) which will allow Ponting to grab a valuable 2 week rest. It may sound small, but next year is an Ashes year, the last thing I want is Ponting, our premier batsmen and best captain, running around playing T20.

People can be sceptical all they want about the IPL, fact is, Ponting has a year to honour on his contract, the KKR deserve that to be honoured.

Back