Preferred Match Format

What should the match format be for the GCA/BPCA?

• All 50 over One-dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All 85 over Two-dayers

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A mixture of one and two dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something completely different

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

a for effort

Preferred Match Format

Since it's been a popular talking point, I have created a poll/thread to discuss the preferred format of matches for the GCA and BPCA.

Personally, I think the current system works well, but maybe should incorporate 20/20's in some way, possibly by a midweek twilight competition, Sunday knock-out comp like the Harvey World cup of yesteryear, or something completely different

Re: Preferred Match Format

thommy_rissole;278082 said:
All one dayers, two day cricket is painfully boring and too old-school.

Keep in mind, Rissole, that in two-day games the chances of you getting a bowl increase from 0 to a number slightly above 0 :p

a for effort;278088 said:
Keep in mind, Rissole, that in two-day games the chances of you getting a bowl increase from 0 to a number slightly above 0 :p

haha poor rissole gets drubbed about his efforts at having a trundle.
i've already expressed my thoughts on this. and i agree with you rissole, 2 dayers drag, are it's too unfair having mixed. if 2 days are the way the gca wants to play, then have all 2 dayers. it's not fair that say, for example, you guys play marshall in a one dayer, roll them for 50 and pass them none down in the 8th over, then st peters come out the next week and beat them outright and say take 6th spot cause of those points, or top of the ladder or waht ever.
i've had my say and spun enough shit now hahaha

Badger;278092 said:
it's not fair that say, for example, you guys play marshall in a one dayer, roll them for 50 and pass them none down in the 8th over, then st peters come out the next week and beat them outright and say take 6th spot cause of those points, or top of the ladder or waht ever.

It's unfortunate that things like that happen, but it's no different from getting washed out against Marshall, or any other struggling team, and having everyone else take the 6 points against them.

Also, having to bowl 10 overs every week, rather than 15 every second week would take it's toll on the older bowlers. This was a common complaint during the "one-dayers-only" drought season

I might add that I'm only playing devil's advocate here, I just like playing cricket, whether the game takes 1,2 or 700 days

grrrr why cant i vote in this poll? moderator? lol i reckon one dayers would be better as well, and am going to vote as soom as this works. grrrrrrrrrr

never mind it worked

If you take the boredom part out of the equation, as I am probably not one to agree that an 85 over match is boring because I love playing cricket, and I suppose I bowl also ! I can see how one dayers seem to make things more fairer if you have an uneven draw but playing in a turf competition then nothing is even anyway. You might play someone on a dodgy wicket while down the road they are playing on a road, pardon the pun there ! So how is that an even comp, even if you are playing one dayers every week, unless you are playing on a hard wicket comp. If we are going to produce the next level of VCA cricketers and beyond they should be playing some 85 over cricket. 85 overs is different to a 50 over game, and then again for a 20 over game. Each player needs to adapt. If you had only 50 over games then you are going to produce players that can only come out and smack the ball around for 50 overs, and if they stepped up to another level of cricket they might be a bit lost. That is probably a bit over stated but I think you get what I mean. The mixture is good, and if next season or beyond they decided to mix up a few T20 games into it, then even better.

a for effort;278102 said:
It's unfortunate that things like that happen, but it's no different from getting washed out against Marshall, or any other struggling team, and having everyone else take the 6 points against them.

Also, having to bowl 10 overs every week, rather than 15 every second week would take it's toll on the older bowlers. This was a common complaint during the "one-dayers-only" drought season

I might add that I'm only playing devil's advocate here, I just like playing cricket, whether the game takes 1,2 or 700 days

But generally if you got washed out on a saturday you wouldn't be the only match, least if it was a one-dayer you'd only lose out on 3 points maximum to any other team that played, not that it ever rains in Geelong.

If nothing else the outright needs to be abolished, it cannot be seemed to be a fair system with a mixture of 1 & 2 dayers.

As for the old players complaining about being sore, if Babies Arm can do it anyone can ;)

I hate 2 day cricket, there i said it.

a for effort;278102 said:

How many people would have said that Benny and the Jets would be getting outright points against Marshall because it was a two day game, but after the first week the Marshall boys might have pulled one out of the hat. A funny game cricket !

gca_ipl;278123 said:
How many people would have said that Benny and the Jets would be getting outright points against Marshall because it was a two day game, but after the first week the Marshall boys might have pulled one out of the hat. A funny game cricket !

I'm predicting a back-door outright and a Benny the Jet 7-for on Saturday

gca_ipl;278117 said:
If you take the boredom part out of the equation, as I am probably not one to agree that an 85 over match is boring because I love playing cricket, and I suppose I bowl also ! I can see how one dayers seem to make things more fairer if you have an uneven draw but playing in a turf competition then nothing is even anyway. You might play someone on a dodgy wicket while down the road they are playing on a road, pardon the pun there ! So how is that an even comp, even if you are playing one dayers every week, unless you are playing on a hard wicket comp. If we are going to produce the next level of VCA cricketers and beyond they should be playing some 85 over cricket. 85 overs is different to a 50 over game, and then again for a 20 over game. Each player needs to adapt. If you had only 50 over games then you are going to produce players that can only come out and smack the ball around for 50 overs, and if they stepped up to another level of cricket they might be a bit lost. That is probably a bit over stated but I think you get what I mean. The mixture is good, and if next season or beyond they decided to mix up a few T20 games into it, then even better.

At least in a one-day match if the wicket is dodgy it is dodgy for both sides because the match will start/finish on the same day.

I just think 85 over cricket is outdated, we have been doing it for ages and haven't produced a first-class cricketer out of the GCA for how long now?

We need to make the league fair for all concerned as there is so much controversey every season with relegation/promotion. The sooner we get the draw fair (which i personally think can only be done with one-dayers) the sooner the league will be seen as fair.

It won't get changed anytime soon and i'm well aware of that, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Brett Anderton

0 First Class Games

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Brad Stacey

8 First Class Games - Most Recent 10+ Years Ago

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Grant Lindsay

1 First Class Games - Most Recent 18 Months Ago, (not sure if he ever played GCA)

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - David Harris

6 First Class Games - Most Recent 10+ Years Ago

Also, Clinton Peake last played a 4 day match 8 seasons ago.

So we haven't seen to many players from the GCA progress throught to first-class cricket recently through our 85 over format.

Note: not taking any thing away from these players as they are all highly respected cricketers in the Geelong region.

thommy_rissole;278131 said:
I just think 85 over cricket is outdated, we have been doing it for ages and haven't produced a first-class cricketer out of the GCA for how long now?

matt harrison?

mas cambios;278206 said:
Is it the system not helping to produce the players, or that the area is overlooked by selectors?

I think its a little of both.. as mentioned in the VCA thread.. the selectors "May" equate scores and wickets at Metro grounds higher than those of Geelong..

I dont think the system is flawed.

Back