Preferred Match Format

What should the match format be for the GCA/BPCA?

• All 50 over One-dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All 85 over Two-dayers

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A mixture of one and two dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something completely different

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Re: Preferred Match Format

thommy_rissole;278204 said:
0 First Class Matches

i thought he played atleast 1 or 2? or was that vic 2nd XI ? i know he played for australia u21's when england were here for the ashes. he made an 80 odd against england A at the mcg i think? correct me if i'm wrong on that..

Badger;278212 said:
i thought he played atleast 1 or 2? or was that vic 2nd XI ? i know he played for australia u21's when england were here for the ashes. he made an 80 odd against england A at the mcg i think? correct me if i'm wrong on that..

I thought the reason he left GCC was so he would get a better look-in from the state selectors. Didn't work obviously

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;278233 said:
Can we get back on topic Guys - Match Format....

i think the gca need to look at different options cause gca has a lot of good cricketers in but its not run right everyone i have talked to from every divi think gca is a joke. even the newspaper seems to not give a s**t about the results since the cats now it only sport is football (im just jealous there haha i go for the dees you pay me out heard all b4) but at the end of the day if you want a career in cricket get away from geelong

a for effort;278144 said:
Ian Redpath

I win :p

r u people not listening or just stupid, rissole said recently, and you have not thrown up anyone recently, one game does not count, grant lindsay was the last. long time ago before another one though.

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;278211 said:
I think its a little of both.. as mentioned in the VCA thread.. the selectors "May" equate scores and wickets at Metro grounds higher than those of Geelong..

I dont think the system is flawed.

No wonder Geelong has not had the depth of cricket it should have because nobody these days can last the distance for 85 overs. No younger generation seems to want to have bat and then go home. Bring on 100 over days as like our VCA cousins ( Well maybe for Division 1 Firsts ) then have a 50/50 matches thrown in every now and then aswell as the 20/20 comp mid week like the old sportscene knock out comp. Did state this in the old thread but someone decided to start a new one :mad:

ToThePavilion;278669 said:
No wonder Geelong has not had the depth of cricket it should have because nobody these days can last the distance for 85 overs. No younger generation seems to want to have bat and then go home. Bring on 100 over days as like our VCA cousins ( Well maybe for Division 1 Firsts ) then have a 50/50 matches thrown in every now and then aswell as the 20/20 comp mid week like the old sportscene knock out comp. Did state this in the old thread but someone decided to start a new one :mad:

100 overs in the field will lead to my immediate retirement.

thommy_rissole;278675 said:
100 overs in the field will lead to my immediate retirement.

For one you have to play Division 1sts, (not holding that against you rissole) but in reality if the VCA were serious about the future of Geelong cricket then that should be put into place. Imagine you as a really young kid only playing 50 over matches then being asked to play down at Geelong. You would only last half the day and it would take you atleast a couple of years to get used to it. It has to be for the future of Geelong cricket. If people love the game then it wont matter what we play just as long as it is cricket. :D

ToThePavilion;278677 said:
For one you have to play Division 1sts, (not holding that against you rissole) but in reality if the VCA were serious about the future of Geelong cricket then that should be put into place. Imagine you as a really young kid only playing 50 over matches then being asked to play down at Geelong. You would only last half the day and it would take you atleast a couple of years to get used to it. It has to be for the future of Geelong cricket. If people love the game then it wont matter what we play just as long as it is cricket. :D

Imagine your a young kid asked to field every second week for 8 hours (ie: 100 overs). He'd be the first one to buy a xbox and retire from cricket.

Not to mention young bowlers getting injured (stress fractures from overuse) and imagine a young keeper being asked to squat for 600 balls in a days play.

Your also mentioning playing 20/20 during the week, bowler burnout is rife these days, underage kids are being asked to bowl Tues, Thurs and Sat for their club and Wednesday/Sunday for Rep cricket.

thommy_rissole;278689 said:
Imagine your a young kid asked to field every second week for 8 hours (ie: 100 overs). He'd be the first one to buy a xbox and retire from cricket.

Not to mention young bowlers getting injured (stress fractures from overuse) and imagine a young keeper being asked to squat for 600 balls in a days play.

Your also mentioning playing 20/20 during the week, bowler burnout is rife these days, underage kids are being asked to bowl Tues, Thurs and Sat for their club and Wednesday/Sunday for Rep cricket.

Dont get me wrong thats only half of the injuries that occur in cricket these days but being the man behind the woodwork, not that bad unless your
a. unfit
b. dont stretch

Agree totally with the amount of cricket we play but if people were smart when they train tuesdays are always the hard nights thats why no one seems to turn up.

But saying that whats the differnece when i was a young lad, thats exactly what we did for years. . Difference is kids these days they seem to take the easy road. Not all though Rissole seen you train and if there were more people of your age group that had a crack and not winged and complained there would be alot more kids playing cricket . .

ToThePavilion;278697 said:
Dont get me wrong thats only half of the injuries that occur in cricket these days but being the man behind the woodwork, not that bad unless your
a. unfit
b. dont stretch

Agree totally with the amount of cricket we play but if people were smart when they train tuesdays are always the hard nights thats why no one seems to turn up.

But saying that whats the differnece when i was a young lad, thats exactly what we did for years. . Difference is kids these days they seem to take the easy road. Not all though Rissole seen you train and if there were more people of your age group that had a crack and not winged and complained there would be alot more kids playing cricket . .

There's too many other options that kids can go to these days, i always have this argument with my old man. Work, Surf, Computer Games, Holiday.

Back in his day it was footy winter, cricket summer; nothing else.

Also with Geelong Football getting more and more serious (ie: most GFL Clubs have started training) there is no reason for the footballers to have something to do in summer. And with more importance being placed on football it leaves little time to do anything un-football related in the winter so the last thing these players want to do is commit long days in the field in the summer. They want to take weekends away, have a few beers and go out on a friday night, go to the races.

There aren't to many top grade GFL footballers who play top grade GCA 1, could probably count them on one hand. Whereas i gaurantee 10-15 years ago nearly all of them did it.

We need to encourage more people to play cricket, i personally think one-day cricket can do that, eliminates people being un-available for a match (alot of people work shift work, Alcoa - Fords - Wharf/ not everyone can commit to two weeks of cricket) and they no turning up on the saturday that they will get a bat, have a short field and get a result.

thommy_rissole;278704 said:
There's too many other options that kids can go to these days, i always have this argument with my old man. Work, Surf, Computer Games, Holiday.

Back in his day it was footy winter, cricket summer; nothing else.

Also with Geelong Football getting more and more serious (ie: most GFL Clubs have started training) there is no reason for the footballers to have something to do in summer. And with more importance being placed on football it leaves little time to do anything un-football related in the winter so the last thing these players want to do is commit long days in the field in the summer. They want to take weekends away, have a few beers and go out on a friday night, go to the races.

There aren't to many top grade GFL footballers who play top grade GCA 1, could probably count them on one hand. Whereas i gaurantee 10-15 years ago nearly all of them did it.

We need to encourage more people to play cricket, i personally think one-day cricket can do that, eliminates people being un-available for a match (alot of people work shift work, Alcoa - Fords - Wharf/ not everyone can commit to two weeks of cricket) and they no turning up on the saturday that they will get a bat, have a short field and get a result.

Well said seany. still think that a few 85 over matches thrown in would be good to keep. GCA is still too much tradition, but we have to keep some of it. Dont get me started on what the GCA think is right and wrong. But im not that old only late 20's but league is alot stronger now than what it used to be. and maybe that becasue no one wants to play 100 over days at Geelong and travel all over the country side. But saying that we still need to get up with the times and introduce 20/20 into our association and Knockout comp were everyone in Geelong plays (but the catch is it has to be played on uncovered turf wickets) Not sure what you reckon but i thinkit is a great idea.

ToThePavilion;278709 said:
Well said seany. still think that a few 85 over matches thrown in would be good to keep. GCA is still too much tradition, but we have to keep some of it. Dont get me started on what the GCA think is right and wrong. But im not that old only late 20's but league is alot stronger now than what it used to be. and maybe that becasue no one wants to play 100 over days at Geelong and travel all over the country side. But saying that we still need to get up with the times and introduce 20/20 into our association and Knockout comp were everyone in Geelong plays (but the catch is it has to be played on uncovered turf wickets) Not sure what you reckon but i thinkit is a great idea.

The thing about throwing a few 85 over games in is it won't be a fair draw, a fair draw is one of the main issues i have behind playing in a one-day league.
Play every team home and away :)

As i have said earlier, there is to much dilemma and confusion at season's end re: promotion/relegation. It could be sorted with a fair draw.

Issue:

Team A plays Team B in a 2 Day Match.
Team A wins outright (10 points)

Next week Team C plays Team B in a 1 Day Match.
Team C wins (6 Points).

Sunday the ladder is released and Team C misses out on finals by 2 points as Team A takes the last remaining spot.

As a result of missing the finals, Team C gets demoted to Division 2 whilst Team A finishes 2nd bottom.

Why it remains unprobable, with 85 over cricket it is still possible for this to happen.

If it ever does i just hope the GCA has good lawyers.

The other option would be to continue with the 85 over cricket and play each other once per season including finals, rotating home and away on a 2 year basis.

The sooner the league is seen to be fairer the better in my opinion.

As for the 20/20 a seperate mid-week league should be set-up for those clubs willing to participate, it's great fun and thoroughly enjoyable.

I was lucky enough to play in around 25 20/20's whilst i was in England. It tests all aspects of your game: batting, bowling and especially fielding. You have to improvise both with the bat and ball and be alert when fielding.

Roughly only takes the same amount of time as a training session and with our weather could be played any night of the week :)

thommy_rissole;278722 said:
The thing about throwing a few 85 over games in is it won't be a fair draw, a fair draw is one of the main issues i have behind playing in a one-day league.

As i have said earlier, there is to much dilemma and confusion at season's end re: promotion/relegation. It could be sorted with a fair draw.

Issue:

Team C wins (6 Points).

Sunday the ladder is released and Team C misses out on finals by 2 points as Team A takes the last remaining spot.

As a result of missing the finals, Team C gets demoted to Division 2 whilst Team A finishes 2nd bottom.

Why it remains unprobable, with 85 over cricket it is still possible for this to happen.

The other option would be to continue with the 85 over cricket and play each other once per season including finals, rotating home and away on a 2 year basis.

As for the 20/20 a seperate mid-week league should be set-up for those clubs willing to participate, it's great fun and thoroughly enjoyable.

I was lucky enough to play in around 25 20/20's whilst i was in England. It tests all aspects of your game: batting, bowling and especially fielding. You have to improvise both with the bat and ball and be alert when fielding.

Roughly only takes the same amount of time as a training session and with our weather could be played any night of the week :)

After that Speech Rissole you should have ran against Obama for US President.

VOTE 1 RISSOLE US PRESIDENT . . .

thommy_rissole;278722 said:

Issue:

Team C wins (6 Points).

Fair point but no matter what happens there will be someone wingeing about winning a premiership with one dayers favoured to there first year and then the following year if they are not the best 85 over side then im sure there will be a few people to complain. Im all for keeping it the same way it is at the moment but then again it does all compare on who you play twice. What happens if East Belmont plays Newtown, NDCC & Geelong City for the first three and the last three. Or Newtown play East, Grovey and South. its hard to predict who will draw who but in the long run unless everyone plays everyone either once or everyone plays everyone twice it wont be fair, just luck of the draw.

And the way the GCA run things how do you know its not rigged . . .

Back