Preferred Match Format

What should the match format be for the GCA/BPCA?

• All 50 over One-dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All 85 over Two-dayers

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A mixture of one and two dayers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something completely different

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Re: Preferred Match Format

Look, there are 2 sides of the coin to playing an 85 over match against a weak team. You could get the outright (10 points), but you also have double the chance of being washed out and only getting 3 points when everyone else gets 6. It's just luck of the draw (literally) and we're never going to have a completely even competition. As IPL said so many factors are variables; weather, pitches, players out, etc.

That said, however, I cannot help but feel (for better or worse) that the world is moving towards the shorter forms of the game. Appreciation for Test cricket is diminishing the world over - yes, the world over; even in India, where I could not believe their stadium was not full during the second Test, or in fact anywhere near full. I thought they would be sold out weeks in advance in India, of all places.

As Rissole said there are so many other options for kids to do these days, attention spans are shorter and the days are gone where kids don't have much else to do in their summer holidays than watch the cricket on TV, or watch or play at the local ground. If the entertainment doesn't provide instant gratification these days it is quickly ditched in favour of something else. I even find myself less and less interested in the Tests. Can't be bothered following the current series in India, just look at the results the next day.

The one thing that swings it in favour of one dayers for me at our level is the amount of "dead" cricket played in our 2 dayers. Cricket where one side clearly has it won and yet the game drags on and ooooooonnn, often with a side having already won and batting for % or batting practice, or a team just batting out time to avoid an outright. At least with the 1 dayer, once it's over we all go off and have a beer. I reckon it is inevitable we will move to a 1 day comp, whether that is good or bad for cricket is irrelevant, it is what people want and the long forms of the game are dying a slow death. (like many games of the long form do!)

Finally, it is pouring rain outside and I am delighted to say that the mighty South Barwon 4ths are the only team across all grades of GCA div1 to already have 6 points on the board in the current half finished 2-dayer :D

a for effort;279067 said:
I just remembered why 2 dayers suck:

Fielding for 85 overs so you can get washed out the next week

Anyone else field all day last week only to not get a bat this weekend?

Ps: I love fielding.

so once again stupid rules cost teams the match. in our seconds we were defending 216 and city batted for a draw from the start becuase the match was going to be decided on time. at one stage they were 1-28 off 30 overs. disgusting. and then after 70 odd overs north had them 9 wickets down therefore match drawn. should they hav simply just played out the overs considering it was still light??? why not set a revised target???

Back