Pull Shot problems

scooter22

Pull Shot problems

hey everyone, i am currently having problems playing the pull shot, which used to be my favourite and best shot. I have problems connecting with it, and when i do connect it goes in the air at catchable height. It is a huge problem because i am a left hander and get a lot of balls down there.

I often find myself way outside off stump after playing the shot, and i fall over myself after playing the shot, or any on the legside. Any tips or advice someone can give to me?

Re: Pull Shot problems

At training ask your mates to bowl you some. :eek:
I am shocking at them in training but in games when i get the odd when i somehow manage to connect.
In your stance try standing up straight if you are not.

scooter22;379799 said:
hey everyone, i am currently having problems playing the pull shot, which used to be my favourite and best shot. I have problems connecting with it, and when i do connect it goes in the air at catchable height. It is a huge problem because i am a left hander and get a lot of balls down there.

I often find myself way outside off stump after playing the shot, and i fall over myself after playing the shot, or any on the legside. Any tips or advice someone can give to me?

If the ball is going in the air at catchable height it sounds like you are swinging straight at the ball, try to swing the bat from high to low, so whether you connect or not the ball should be headed towards the ground

im never in control of the shot, and im not sure how to keep the ball down or even the correct way to play the shot if its quite a way down leg side.

This is one of the better videos out there, but still not ideal.

YouTube - How to Play Cricket Shots

This one is better but doesn't show the shot being played, it's just talked about.

YouTube - Justin Langer pull shot Cricket

The key to the shot is getting your eyes behind the ball. Your back leg will go back and towards the off stump. Your front leg will move around, bringing you chest wise onto the ball - this is when your head/eyes should be in line or just inside the line of the ball.

High(ish) hands, which means you'll bring the bat down, from high to low which should help you to keep the ball down.

In terms of practice, try hitting off a stump (using a batting tee or bottle to balance the ball on). This allow you to work on foot movement without worrying about the ball coming towards you. Then you can move onto throw downs before getting onto 'real' bowling.

If you have to hit it uppishly, make sure you clear the close fielders. Hit it hard and with intent.

Well that could be part of the problem as im not used to rolling my wrists. I cant keep te cut shot down all the time, but my problem with the pull shot is a lot worse.

Don't try to roll the wrists, it comes naturally. The key to keeping it down is bringing the bat down from high to low.

It should come naturally, but if you have problems with it, just practise the shot when you can in the nets and roll your wrists, and it will become muscle memory, and second nature

ZacDuggan;380258 said:
It should come naturally, but if you have problems with it, just practise the shot when you can in the nets and roll your wrists, and it will become muscle memory, and second nature

I agree with you but I think that the main thing for the OP at the moment is to get the batting coming down. He also needs to get a solid, stable base and work from there.

thanks for the help guys, it did help as i had my head leaning over, and my eyes werent strait. I corrected this and have been working on balance exercises and been doing plenty of work with the short ball. i seem to have trouble with bouncers that come at my head. I sway but then half play a pull shot and get caught at mid wicket. any ideas?

move so you are between middle and off, that way, the bouncer that would have been at your head will now miss you if you fail at hitting it. I would suggest a hook shot. I dont wear a helmet, and get the odd bouncer from a smart arse bowler, and this technique works for me. If it is not at your head, let it go.

ZacDuggan;380273 said:
move so you are between middle and off, that way, the bouncer that would have been at your head will now miss you if you fail at hitting it. I would suggest a hook shot. I dont wear a helmet, and get the odd bouncer from a smart arse bowler, and this technique works for me. If it is not at your head, let it go.

yeah its a good strategy to get inside it but wouldnt that make you the smart arse batsmen for not wearing a helmet?

As i was batting this afternoon, i got caught out at deep fin leg playing the pull. :0 But it wasnt all bad news as i was told what i was doing wrong with the pull shot. I crouch down just before i play it and stand up as i go through it, making the bat go low to high. Thanks for all the advice and i will be sure to try your advice on the bouncer at my head as well. I seem to do much better when i go through with the pull shot anyway. thanks again for the advice.

A word of advice from me is to not play the pull shot to every single damn ball!

Hahaha pull shot is my strength so I tend to play them instead of a cover drive for example :D hahahaha

I cant play the pull or hook well, got hit in the head last time I tried :p

I have now put the shot away and either get out of the way, block it or have tried succesfully just stepping inside it and glancing it down to fine leg

Egg, are you calling Viv Richards, Don Bradman, WG Grace, Barry Richards smartarses? The reason i dont wear one is i have poor vision and i find the helmet to be even more limited sight wise, especially against spinners who flight it. It also gets me more switched on, as i know i have to play the bouncer or there will be serious consequences. Im not trying to have a go, but in my estimation, a smartarse batsman would be one who plays shots like paddle sweeps, dilscoops, reverse sweeps just to prove they can, regardless of whether it is the best shot to play.

ZacDuggan;380324 said:
Egg, are you calling Viv Richards, Don Bradman, WG Grace, Barry Richards smartarses?

Pretty sure most of them didn't have a choice. And I don't get what's so smart arse-y about paddle sweeping?

dont pull then, rib cage just bunt them into the leg side, at the head duck swerve or ramp over 2nd slips head

Back