[Rant] Cricket not a sport

SteveyD

[Rant] Cricket not a sport

Sigh, getting fed up of people telling me that cricket isn't a spot and requires no effort. . . (Field for an hour at slip and not have a chance, then have ot keep concentration for the next hour still)

Its such a mentally draining game, plus there is a lot of sprinting and yet they think its a drinking mans game and involves nothing

GRRRr

Re: [Rant] Cricket not a sport

Ask them to bowl for 10 overs straight (off a 15 pace run up) and then run around in the field for 90 minutes afterwards and then see if they think it's a sport or not.

The "it's not a sport" is nowhere near as bad as "it's a sport for girls" (which it is as well, but when you are a guy it tends to get on your nerve).

I proved one wrong by bouncing him once in the nets (he was a soccer player :D) and he gave up, but still doesn't help.

The nets in town are next to the fields on which soccer is also played. It's impossible to train all winter while they are there constantly bagging you about it.

Boris;401347 said:
The "it's not a sport" is nowhere near as bad as "it's a sport for girls" (which it is as well, but when you are a guy it tends to get on your nerve).

I proved one wrong by bouncing him once in the nets (he was a soccer player :D) and he gave up, but still doesn't help.

The nets in town are next to the fields on which soccer is also played. It's impossible to train all winter while they are there constantly bagging you about it.
Ha , i got bowled out by a girl last week in a match.
Turns out she played county cricket for Cambridgeshire ( where I live)

SteveyD;401351 said:
Ha , i got bowled out by a girl last week in a match.
Turns out she played county cricket for Cambridgeshire ( where I live)

Haha yeah I didn't actually mean a physical girl :D.

There's no place to go for women's cricket around here, so those that are serious join in with the men's, as long as they don't object. It's rare that it happens, but the last time it did she bowled 10 overs, got 5 wickets, 3 of which were in a hat-trick. I saw it and she bowled brilliantly.

Only problem is she has no way forward because the simply isn't another grade to go to above that. She either has to move a few hundred kilometres away or keep playing in the grade she is now, which is pretty low.

Boris;401355 said:
Haha yeah I didn't actually mean a physical girl :D.

There's no place to go for women's cricket around here, so those that are serious join in with the men's, as long as they don't object. It's rare that it happens, but the last time it did she bowled 10 overs, got 5 wickets, 3 of which were in a hat-trick. I saw it and she bowled brilliantly.

Only problem is she has no way forward because the simply isn't another grade to go to above that. She either has to move a few hundred kilometres away or keep playing in the grade she is now, which is pretty low.

I guess england being quite compact, theres a lot of oppurtunity. These two women were playing for the local social club team , though apparently normally play for Cambridgeshire CC . To be fair, I was one of only two batsmen who survived their young opener who took 8 for 15, so I can't be too disappointed to get bowled out by the girl :p

SteveyD;401356 said:
I guess england being quite compact, theres a lot of oppurtunity. These two women were playing for the local social club team , though apparently normally play for Cambridgeshire CC . To be fair, I was one of only two batsmen who survived their young opener who took 8 for 15, so I can't be too disappointed to get bowled out by the girl :p

Good going that :D.

Reminds me of Michael Slater being bowled by Elyse Perry (Australian International Cricket player) in a charity celebrity match. Slater almost got knocked over by a brilliant yorker and Perry had to slow down to give the other guys a go!

You will be really pleased to hear that I counted to 10... and then a bit more... before replying :D.

I actually understand why some [non-cricketers] do not believe cricket is a sport. Most cricketers believe it is a walk in the park and then a rush to the bar too! Most often, 'preparation' is a meet in the pub the night before to choose a team only to discover the next day that they forgot to actually choose one, having been distracted by the 'social', resulting in a mad, frantic ring around to get a team :p.

SteveyD;401356 said:
...To be fair, I was one of only two batsmen who survived their young opener who took 8 for 15, so I can't be too disappointed to get bowled out by the girl :p

It wasn't Granta by any chance?

Liz Ward;401368 said:
You will be really pleased to hear that I counted to 10... and then a bit more... before replying :D.

Haha. I'm actually lobbying for a women's cricket grade in town. Seems to be going pretty well too! :)

Liz Ward;401368 said:
I actually understand why some [non-cricketers] do not believe cricket is a sport. Most cricketers believe it is a walk in the park and then a rush to the bar too! Most often, 'preparation' is a meet in the pub the night before to choose a team only to discover the next day that they forgot to actually choose one, having been distracted by the 'social', resulting in a mad, frantic ring around to get a team :p.

Whoever plays cricket in town definitely prepares and everyone plays like they play internationally, but then you get people who drive past in their cars and shout offensive stuff about the game.

Over here we have a name for them. Bogans! hahaha

Liz Ward;401368 said:

It wasn't Granta by any chance?
We seem pretty organised at making teams, in that they are panicking on tuesday and thursday at nets ;)

It was NCI 3, playing Granta 4 this weekend.
Having checked on the play - cricket website, I can only see her scores for NCI womens 1st, wihch arn't bad :p
Also, I didn't really like the way NCI seemed, they apparently operate some sotr of rotation basis, and the captain didn't know the opening bowlers name :\
I was told that Bar Hill 3 had a female wicket keeper giving our batsman who shes friends with a lot of stick, going on about having only 2 shots. To which he smacked it back over the bowlers head and said "thats my third"

Also can you explain bogans?

SteveyD;401370 said:
...Also can you explain bogans?

I believe this can, losely, be translated as 'chav'!

If you want to know about 'chavs', Dave has quite a monologue :D

Liz Ward;401373 said:

Chav, hey? Learn something new every day.

The easiest way to describe a bogan... think of what the media worldwide has stereotyped the Australian to be. A beer drinking, fat, swearing, heavy Australian accent, etc. Every Australian has one of those qualities, no matter how civilised we try to make ourselves look to the outside world. Bogans have ALL of them.

That is a brief explanation on them. I could produce a monologue too :D

chav.jpg

Liz Ward;401373 said:

Chav's - did someone mention Chavs?

Are Bogans like 'Westies' in Sydney?

Looking at your list of Bogan attributes they sound like fairly ordinary people, for an over-view of the mis-named Chav's have a look at this http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Essex or type into google chavtowns tilbury essex and have a look at that - I can't access it from work as we've got a system for monitoring offensive content!

That aside the word Chav is pretty innofensive and as far as I'm aware has it's origins in Urdu langauage and came to Europe via the East through Gypsies (Romany type). The word used in Tilbury - used by Gypsies since before the 1960's as far back as I can remember and it's a word my Dad used as he used to hang around with Gypsies, simply means a boy or youth or maybe even a bloke? "Go and tell that Chavvy to stop hitting those cricket balls over here near my Greenhouse", would be a typical use of the word.

The word was then probably bastardised by the East End diaspora that had moved into Essex and Kent since the end of WWII and taken into the City when Thatcher opened up the City to working class Tory voters, the word and much of Essex's much maligned rural lnaguage heritage was then picked up and distorted and diffused into the wider community. It seems that someone then created the Chavscum website which was then seized upon back in the mid 90's by middle class student types and it gained in popularity to take the mick out of the burgeoning 'Under-class' also labelled 'Chav Scum' by the UK's right wing press, especially the Daily Mail.

I'm sure the same thing happened in Kent, but Essex's rural community and regional accents are vastly different to thier neighbours who live in local towns. Unfortunately here in South Essex our regional accent is being polluted by the East End accent and the ever-growing 'Estuary English' which is spoken increasingly by anyone that lives on the outskirts of London. It seems to be a mixture of South, East London working class accents, mixed with West and East coast USA accents and affectations picked up off the television. Primarily the cross over of these accents happens through the movement of people from the East End into Essex. With them come a different set of cultures and values many of it in the style of your 'Bogans'.

It's an interesting topic and one as you can see I like!!! If I had more life I think I'd like to a degree in sociology and study sociology and language!

Examples of differences in Essex we either say 'Something' or if you're in the villages 'Somert' whereas the East End diaspora say 'Sumfink', this is so prevelant that when they write in school even at post 16 education many of them write sumfing or sumfink. I'm not immune to it either as it's such a big thing, it wasn't till I was 28 that a more educated posher Essex girlfriend noticed that I wrote 'Would of like to' rather than 'would have liked to'!!!

On the subject of "chavs", I'm a middle-class 15-year old from Surrey. The last census of the area (Effingham) said that 27 of the locals are millionaires :p I'm probably a lot more condescending than I realise or ought to be too.

Around here, we have a few "chavs" who use words like "bare", "bruv", "blud", "safe", "standard", "skeen", "merk" and other such slang, which makes them sound like morons. Most of my friends are middle-class teenagers who generally use good grammar and we don't have quite as many "chavs" as other areas of Britain :p

No surprise, this is a Conservative majority area :D

lewissaffin;401490 said:
Around here, we have a few "chavs" who use words like "bare", "bruv", "blud", "safe", "standard", "skeen", "merk" and other such slang, which makes them sound like morons. Most of my friends are middle-class teenagers who generally use good grammar and we don't have quite as many "chavs" as other areas of Britain :p

Those words are hardly "chav" words. Go to london, or anywhere north ish and you'll hear things like Shank and merk and blud

"Getta loada this Macca. The f*ckin c*nt of a ************** bird just sh*tted all over me f*ckin bonnet of me Torana."

- Quote from bogan that lives down the street from me.

Boris;401579 said:
"Getta loada this Macca. The f*ckin c*nt of a ************** bird just sh*tted all over me f*ckin bonnet of me Torana."

- Quote from bogan that lives down the street from me.

sounds like most australians if you put an aussie accent on :p

SteveyD;401581 said:
sounds like most australians if you put an aussie accent on :p

Every Australian has a hint of bogan in them. It's inevitable. Just not quite so much as these guys :D

And these guys don't just have an Aussie accent. They have an Aussie accent on steroids. Think Paul Hogan x 10.

Back