Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It needs improving.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It's fine how it is.

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

gbatman

Referral System

ok I like the referral system but what I am really not liking is the interpretations we are getting.

LBW's that are given out by the umpire then given not out only because the ball pitched outside the line of the stumps is :mad:!

There have been some LBW's around the world that have been referred and been over ruled as not out only because the ball pitched outside the line of the stumps! This is complete B.S.! The "pitched outside the line" is not a rule or requirement of an LBW, it's a guide line that umpires may use when making a decision.

If anything there should be more LBW's from this as with replays and slow motion there is no need to consider where the ball has pitched. The umpire just has to make a decision if the ball is going to hit the stumps or not.

This is just making it harder to get wickets and takes out using the whole crease. It means bowlers have to bowl from the one part of the crease every time (close to stumps) to get a wicket. Ntini will never get an LBW ever again. The referral system has saved some wrong decisions but has brought some more wrong decisions also. When wickets aren't being taken it brings about boring cricket and draws.

It's a good idea but some of the inturpretations are terrible and it needs improving! It also needs to be done with more cameras and hotspot camers and slow motion cameras. Lack of camera angles and other types of cameras should not be saving batsmen.

Re: Referral System

Agreed, much work needs to be done.

The 'half-arsed' approach with technology is pathetic.

I reckon we will see heaps of LBW's referred if they keep this up, I reckon until they come up with something better they stick to catches, run outs and stumpings for the 3rd Umpire. LBW's are a field umpire decision as technology will almost always have another interpretation of what the ball will do.

Needs improving. Very good in theory, but they need to utilize all available technological aids.

Mousey;333999 said:
Needs improving. Very good in theory, but they need to utilize all available technological aids.

A very good example is when Mark Boucher was batting in the first test against Australia.
Mitch Johnson bowled a shorter ball and Boucher was caught by Haddin. He referred it immediately.
You couldn't tell on the tv if he had hit it or not.
Thats what the "hot spot" is for and they don't use it, there should be the best technology used for a referral and if they don't have the best technology then they may as well not have referrals at all.

so if the ball pitchs outside off stump the referee gives it not out ?? if so thats crap, also i think they are using hot spot for referals, SA refered a caught behind last night and im pretty sure they used hot spot. i think they should stick to the rules in terms of refering LBWs, if it pitched outside leg or hit the batsmen outside the line, and with hawkeye or what ever they"re using i think must show the whole ball hitting the stumps, that way you can be certain its out, but i do like the concept, long overdue.

distributer of pain;334042 said:
so if the ball pitchs outside off stump the referee gives it not out ?? if so thats crap, also i think they are using hot spot for refers, SA refered a caught behind last night and im pretty sure they used hot spot. i think they should stick to the rules in terms of refering LBWs, if it pitched outside leg or hit the batsmen outside the line, and with hawkeye or what ever they"re using i think must show the whole ball hitting the stumps, that way you can be certain its out, but i do like the concept, long overdue.

the referrals will develop more in the future
they certainly didn't use "hot spot" in the first test
I also agree with the LBW
as long as the 3rd umpire is consistent with his LBW decisions

if they arnt using hotspot then thats just a discrace, i reckon hotspots the most reliable of all the TV gimmicks and should be used in every decision. does anyone know if a refered LBW has been givin out by the 3rd umpire yet ??

Crap system, needs to be removed immediately. Waste of time and is giving out more wrong decisions than right ones.

swifty_147;334013 said:
Thats what the "hot spot" is for and they don't use it, there should be the best technology used for a referral and if they don't have the best technology then they may as well not have referrals at all.

They are using it for this test.

the requirement for the ball having to pitch in line needs to be turfed out. That rule was relevant for umpirtes when having to give decisions in real time and without replays or technology but with the referal it's obsolete.

I see the merits in implementing it, however, ALL third umpires must have use of snicko and hot spot technology otherwise they are guessing just as much as the on field umps were.

Fix that issue and you've got a supporter here! ;)

Siddle just bowled one, to Amla I think that would have hit middle half way up, was given not out, was referred and given not out.

With the referal system it's time to F#@k off the rule where the ball must pitch in line and make that bloody stupid rule a guide and a guide only. The rule is obsolete with the referal system and was only enforced to make umpires only give batsmen out if they are sure when they have to see it in real time.

The referal system is making umpires say not out more often! Umpires are leaving it up to the players to make the decisions, this all sucks the big ones.

i dont like the refferals, i think all we need is two umpires in the middle making decisions and a third umpire needed for run outs

i think the referals are not cricket what is the point having umpires if you have referals

DY13;341102 said:
i dont like the refferals, i think all we need is two umpires in the middle making decisions and a third umpire needed for run outs

i quite like the referals, i think it adds to the drama, it does need tweeking though.

It is something that is needed asap. Some of the umpiring decisions have been so off the mark that it's not funny.

In the Ashes series there were some shocking decisions made by umpires who are normally are pretty good. There were balls that were given out when they weren't even hit. LBW's given when they weren't LBW and the ball had hit them too high or not in line with the stumps.

I voted yes to it. Yes because it is a great system and yes because we need it to help the umpires.

the thing is, only in the past few years have we really had the technology to see umpires mistakes.

back 50 years ago who knew how many mistakes umpires made. i say its the same as it always has been and umpires today are making the same and as many mistakes. that is the game. if you add the referalls then players that shouldnt be out, even if technically they are, are given out after a long, tedious and boring process.

being given out isnt about whether you are actually out or not. its about whether the umpire thinks you are out. if you play a terrible shot, the ball plunders into your pads in front and there is an appeal for a very close LBW decision, the umpire IMO should give you out cause you were beaten all ends up and played a terrible shot. it doesnt need to be millimetre perfect. the bowler was better then the batsman. the batsman gets one chance and one chance only.

run outs are fair enough to go to technology to because they are not a questionable thing. they are either out or not. with an LBW it depends on the person watching.

also if you have referrals you are taking away the one position that has been pretty much consistent for the length of the game. the umpire is a player too. cricket is the only sport where the umpire has their individual likes and dislikes and can make decisions based on their own opinion, not abiding by strict rules. the game should be kept like this.

the umpire is always right. who cares about the small misinterpretations of a ball flying at 150kph. if the bowler is better then the batsman, and the finger goes up then its too late to change anything.

the way it always has been, and the way it always should be.

Back