Richie Benaud extends contract for three more seasons

Ljp86

Staff member
Richie Benaud extends contract for three more seasons

Legendary cricket commentator, Richie Benaud, who has been the centre of Australia's cricket commentary for the last 45 years has signed a three-year contract extension, which will see him be a part of the Channel Nine cricket coverage until the end of the 2012/2013 summer.

Benaud had originally intended to retire from commentary at the end of this season but a change of heart and a desire to stay a part of the game he so dearly loves will see Richie stay on Aussie TV screens until 2013. Benaud will finish ball-by-ball commentary at the end of this coming summer but will continue to be involved in the coverage in the coming seasons through analysis and guest spots.

Australia's summer kicks off on November 22 when the Australian Cricketer's Association XI take on an Australian XI at the Gabba. The first test between Australia and the West Indies begins on November 26 also at the Gabba.

Benaud keeps the beige dream alive | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Re: Richie Benaud extends contract for three more seasons

Probably pushing it just a bit but the guy is a legend and I don't think I could ever tire from hearing him commentate.

I wonder if Mr Birmingham could also go for one more round? :cool:

He is a brilliant commentator and damn what a career he has had.

With no respect to the great man, he is getting pretty old. Once people get to that age they generally have one or two things to live for. Like if older woman's husband dies, usually she follows not long after because she hasn't the special things to live for.

Cricket is probably the thing that keeps Benaud living on, so keeping on doing what he loves is a very good idea if we want to see him around for many, many more years. At least he is slowing down and letting himself live his life too.

This is some real good news which means that I wont have to listen to Mark Nicholas for too long when watching the Australian Summer. The truth about Benaud is that he is an ambassador for Australia and for cricket.

I want a bit more banter in the box, i love it when JB comes in and talks about the "new rock", the "dukes", and that the bowler has got some serious "wheels" (pace).

Warnie, JB and Tubby Taylor would be an awesome combo.

THe banter would be great.

I like it as it is. I like the fact that they are mostly ex team mates and the coversation is just the same as if it were straight out of the changerooms. I love a bit of humour, and them combined with the antics of the Aussie cricket team they usually bring up a laugh at any time of the day.

I still remember a few years back in the 06/07 ashes when Lawry was late for a commentary spot late on day 2 I think it was (The test only lasted 3 days due to another pitiful England display).

Anyway Australia was racking up a massive lead and Slater and Mark Nicholas were due to commentate after tea with Bill Lawry. Lawry, for some reason, was late. Consquently, Slater and Nicholas had to commentate an over or two without Bill.

During this period Slater and Nicholas were discussing who would do the 'got him yes' signature call if a wicket fell. Slater took the bull between the teeth and said that if a wicket fell then he'd do it - he then proceeded to do a trial run.

A few minutes later Lawry was on air. Some banter followed from Slater and Nicholas about why Lawry was late. Lawry then said he was surprised Mark Nicholas was even turning up considering the pounding England was copping.

It was great stuff. Reminded me of the 12th man, with people being late and Slater pretending to be Bill Lawry.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;376317 said:
I still remember a few years back in the 06/07 ashes when Lawry was late for a commentary spot late on day 2 I think it was (The test only lasted 3 days due to another pitiful England display).

Anyway Australia was racking up a massive lead and Slater and Mark Nicholas were due to commentate after tea with Bill Lawry. Lawry, for some reason, was late. Consquently, Slater and Nicholas had to commentate an over or two without Bill.

During this period Slater and Nicholas were discussing who would do the 'got him yes' signature call if a wicket fell. Slater took the bull between the teeth and said that if a wicket fell then he'd do it - he then proceeded to do a trial run.

A few minutes later Lawry was on air. Some banter followed from Slater and Nicholas about why Lawry was late. Lawry then said he was surprised Mark Nicholas was even turning up considering the pounding England was copping.

It was great stuff. Reminded me of the 12th man, with people being late and Slater pretending to be Bill Lawry.

And that is why I like the team. They are always joking around like that, sometimes getting themselves into trouble like Healy pretending to play the violin sarcastically at an inappropriate time.

Boris;376373 said:
Healy pretending to play the violin sarcastically at an inappropriate time.

Healy is an absolute tool.

Kram81;376495 said:
Healy is an absolute tool.
I'll second that.

There's some good commentators in the current team, but there are some absolute shockers as well. Really, it's too much of an old boys' club for former captains and their cronies. They get shown up pretty badly when visiting commentators come in - they're almost universally better than most of the regular team.

The ABC Grandstand commentators put Channel Nine to shame.

Strongly disagree.

Firstly, Ian Healy is a god in Queensland, and rightly so, I wont stand by and let people hang shit on him.

As a commentator I don't mind him, his role is to stir the pot a bit, and his one of the few people I have heard on air stand up to Ian Chappell, which is saying quite a bit. Normally whatever Ian Chappell says is treated as gospel, "Oh Ian Chappell, you were so attacking as a captain, you'd never have a deep square leg, you'd always have 3 slips".

Ian Healy shouldn't be taken to seriously, is a surprisingly good sports presenter on the news as well.

Whoever said the ABC commentators are good should take a red for a week.

They are the worst of the lot, primarily Jim Maxwell and Glenn Mitchell.

Both of them get into a tanty whenever Australia starts copping a hiding (ie, India 2008) and really lose the plot, blaming Ponting for everything just about. Anyone who had the misfortune of hearing them on air when the overrate fiasco came about in India would realise how cringeworthy it was listening to them carry on like old women.

I still stand by JB and the dukes.

Just because a commentator doesn't bang the drum at every opportunity doesn't make them crap.

I'm not saying the Grandstand team have more cricket knowledge than the C9 lot, but you get a hell of a lot more insightful and analytical commentary from them than you do from the gasbags on the television.

Healy's a xenophobic waste of space who's never said anything insightful in his life, but I can see why you like him - he won't hear a word said against Australia. Taylor, great captain though he was, is the most boring person ever to pick up a microphone. Lawry (despite his bias) was decent but he's past it, every time he opens his mouth it's the same thing we've heard a thousand times before. Chappell's a broken record, and Greig's just a one-dimensional Aussie hater who's only there as resident punching bag.

Now Benaud's gone, Slater and Warne are the only decent ones in the lot.

Caesar;376513 said:
Healy's a xenophobic waste of space who's never said anything insightful in his life, but I can see why you like him - he won't hear a word said against Australia. Taylor, great captain though he was, is the most boring person ever to pick up a microphone. Lawry (despite his bias) was decent but he's past it, every time he opens his mouth it's the same thing we've heard a thousand times before.

At least Lawry gives some genuine praise for the opposition and doesn't just constantly bag them. Healy's IQ would be low enough to receive a pension if he didn't get paid to ruin 9'scricket coverage, he's a cheat and crap bloke also.

He's always talking himself up as well. I mean FFS, it would nice to get through a broadcast just once without Healy harking back to the golden days when he had the gloves on. :rolleyes:

I was admittedly a bit harsh on Lawry. He's been a good commentator for a long time. Maybe it's just me though but I'm over hearing the same comments and the same phrases from him all the time. Kinda feel like he's getting stale and it's maybe time for him to move on - it's almost like you watch the play and then you know what Bill is going to say about it before he opens his mouth.

Each to their own, i don't rate the ABC commentary team, but I will listen to them if im travelling in the car or if there is a special quest on that I want to hear.

Overall, each of the ABC commentators on their own are alright but I have heard them when Australia has been getting a panning on the field and their professionalism goes out the window to be replaced by Ponting bagging.

Their character assasination of Ricky Ponting during the SCG test in 2008 was also disgraceful, its just a game, no Australian test captain is deseving of that tripe I heard that day a few years back.

Then to think these same clowns were falling over themselves to help Ponting's wife carry her luggage when they meant her in an elevator in South Africa earlier this year.

Tim Lane used to be a gun commentator at cricket - ever since Roebuck published that article the ABC commentary team starts to think their opinion is actually worth hearing.

Roebuck always harps on about how crap he thinks Ponting is though - whether it's on Grandstand, in his newspaper column or when he's doing after-dinner speaking. It's to be expected from him, you have to take it with more than just a grain of salt.

The other guys don't have that much of an axe to grind though. Which isn't to say they'll pull punches if they think he's making bad decisions - but that's the role of commentators. They're not there to be 'loyal', they're there to provide colour, insight and analysis.

What 'axe' does Roebuck have to grind with Ponting?

I always got the impression Roebuck's spray towards Ponting early in 2008 was done for monetary gain rather then being a true representation of Roebuck's thoughs. Was it coincidence that after that article Roebuck was involved in a lot of Indian media outlets during the India - Australia test series in late 2008? No doubt reaping financial rewards.

As commentators they are there to analyse the game and whatnot. Im not arguing, I listened to the ABC commentators on the recent tour of South Africa when they sent a full broadcast team to cover the test series (Mitchell, Maxwell, Roebuck, Coward and Lawson). Countless times the Com team would suggest moves that should be done, often Ponting went a different route which proved successful, never once was there acknowledgement that Ponting had done the right thing, rather it was swept under the carpet.

A perfect example was when Hilfenhaus opening the bowling in the first test, the commentators said it should have been Johnson and Siddle. Hilfenhaus gets a wicket in his first over and then bowls an unplayable spell (best of his career so far).

If commentators are going to stamp their feet up and down continually telling the listeners what tactics the captain should be using then they can at least admit they got it wrong rather then just forgeting to mention it.

I don't know what Roebuck's deal is. He's just always banging on about how Ponting's such an awful captain. Maybe Ponting slept with his sister or something.

I think Ricky's a pretty rubbish captain myself, but Roebuck has a real bee in his bonnet about it.

Really in my house, commentators are there to just add either an opinion that you can agree with or yell at, or as comic relief. Hearing Healy, Taylor and Lawry all laughing there heads off everytime a six is hit is damn funny.

As Benaud said, commentators are there purely for the fact to add anything that is not on the screen. It's not radio they don't need to be expert ball by ball comentators. Benaud likes to sit back and watch, letting the picture do the talking, but the others like to add their opinions. Contrasting perfectly. Plus they are pretty funny, so I will take them anyday, and all of them.

Back