Richie Benaud extends contract for three more seasons

Re: Richie Benaud extends contract for three more seasons

Ian Chappell has never gotten over Healy standing him up in that pre-ashes show back in 2006, when Healy told Chappell to move on from the Lillee and Thommo era.

He always has a shot at Healy and is always trying to stir him up.

There is real need for some new blood (not just Slats and co.) in the comm box.

I really did enjoy it once, 2001 WC during the SA vs AUS match and Lawry and Greig on together, when it got tight at the death it was brilliant!

Nowadays though, press mute, crack a beer, and choose between Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets for my auditory fill.

2001 WC?

You mean 1999 WC semi final between SA and Australia, with Lawry and another SA commentator at the end.

SA hit a 4 and Bill Lawry is like: "Dear oh dear" and the SA commentator is "i dont know about oh dear Bill, that was a fantastic shot"

Sorry mate yeah 1999, the one where the Paki's threw the final.

In a weird way The 12th Man has ruined as well as enhanced their rep's. A lot of the time I wish they swore at each other, I wish Max Walker barricaded himself in the Comm Box with Benaud, I wish Lawry would go completely off his dial and have to get removed from the comm box, most of all I wish Cronje was still with us betting Tubs that certain cameraman would not be hit with a ball again today.

As for Chappelli, yeah you were captain in a golden era, The golden era, but as far as I am concerned Tubs shits on you, greatest captain. Bar none.

Can we please hijack this into a 12th Man quote thread?

Richie - Perhaps he doesn't speak Victorian? haha

Richie Benaud is passed it

Sorry Rich, I know you are a national icon, but its really time to go.

First of all, he is biased against non-Australians and especially against sub-continent players. I never noticed this as much before, but it has become obvious to me now. Sure you could understand him getting excited over Warny, but when he makes comments like "thats the greatest thing your ever likely to see" ad nauseum to just about every single wicket taken by Australia, it gets a bit much. I think I really noticed his bias when it became obvious that the new generation commentators - Heals and Slates clearly feel the need to go the other way - unduly praising the opposition just to counterbalance Richies bias.

Second, and especially with the rise of the new generation, his ignorance of the game has really been exposed. Apart from useful input to legspin bowling, he has nothing of use to contribute. This is in stark contrast to Heals and Slates (and other non-regulars like Warny) who not only offer contemporary insights to the modern game, but frankly, have a much more in-depth technical knowledge of cricket theory. Sadly, his commentary is pretty much reduced to rehashing insights that have already been observed by his more competent colleagues.

Re: Richie Benaud is passed it

I like Richie being able to tell stories of long in the past. There are no other commentators in the country, and most probably the world, that could comment on watching the Don play, and be able to make comparisons to that of today and 50 years ago.

Saying that though, I do actually prefer the forgotten brother John Benaud, a better journalist IMO.

I like the fact that Benaud just is the voice of cricket he's been there all my life and I'm nearly 50. It'll be a loss because he is the only bloke on the planet that has a half a chance of picking a Leggie's Flipper if they're being bowled, unless of course Warne does more commentary - he may have half a chance of being able to do it. It'll be a bigger loss for the art of Legspin as someone has to be able to explain and enthuse about the art with the knowledge and empathy that only one of their kind could. Let's hope Warne does more commentary in the future?

I'm not that sure on Warne to be honest. He's great with leg spin bowling, like Richie is, but unlike Richie he doesn't seem to be that good elsewhere. I guess time will only improve him, but he seems a little stuck up and very biased towards certain countries and players. I didn't really like his commentary much at all.

Back