Richie Benaud Passes Away

ritchie_CCMF_g2_VEAAfyu_E.jpg

A sad day for Australian cricket and Australia in general. Richie was one of the best cricket commentators of all time and his contribution to the sport in Australia has been massive. It's fair to say he will be deeply missed by all.

A sad day for Australian cricket and Australia in general. Richie was one of the best cricket commentators of all time and his contribution to the sport in Australia has been massive. It's fair to say he will be deeply missed by all.
Very very sad, the voice of the Australian summer. Nothing lasts forever, and when you consider he was commentating into his 80s, we have been very lucky to have enjoyed his talents for so long.

I heard a lovely tribute from James Brayshaw on the late Richie Benaud on triple m's rush hour. It was fantastic.

It was an early summer morning, sitting on a lawn in SW19 in the early/mid 80s. The Sun was warm but fresh, as it has a habit of being at that time of the year. At that point, all I could hear was birdsong and the buzz of the odd bee passing by on its busy way. It was the kind of morning where you could easily believe that everybody could live forever.

Gentle voices came nearer as my boss walked over with a very close friend of his, followed by trays of Champagne and strawberries... breakfast in the 80s! Formal introductions over with, we all sat and talked about the moment, the day ahead, the Dordogne, the importance of the 10% of skill... Looking back on it now, it could easily have been the early/mid 20s; the Panama topped men in cream linen suits and me in a long, flowing muslin dress.

My first meeting with the most perfect, timeless gentleman; it could have been yesterday... how things have changed!

His very close friend left us many years ago but I shall remember both gentlemen and wish them both peace... in the Valley.

It still hasn't truly sunk in the Great Man is gone.

He wasn't just the Greatest cricket commentator of all time, I'll even go as far to say he was one of the best commentators in all professional sport.

Back