Say what you want about Ponting's captaincy... but

Say what you want about Ponting's captaincy... but

teams under his leadership never give in... they never say die.

Look, I'm not Ponting's biggest fan. I still vividly remember him drinking and gambling to excess when he was younger; traits that probably put his career back 3 or 4 years.

As a batsmen I rate him very highly; I could live until I'm 80 and never see a finer Australian batsmen. Nor ever see a better all-round fieldsmen.

I have never questioned his batting ability.

Ponting has had a hell of a lot of critics with regards to his leadership.

Not only with regards to onfield tactics, but also with regards to sportsmanship and off-field relations.

At times he has treated the game, not as a gentlemen's game, but as a brawl with no holds barred.

However, I must give him a hell of a lot of credit for one thing.

Under his leadership, I've never seen an Australian team throw the towel in.

At the end of the day, with a limited team, that is all we can probably ask for. That spell of cricket late on day 4 against India was electrifying. Whatever happens on day 5, this Australian team can be proud of putting up one hell of a fight in foreign conditions.

I just wanted to take this chance to say how much I have enjoyed watching this test match against India. Both teams have put up a great match so far, and god knows cricket needs it.

Lets hope for a fantastic finish on day 5.

Re: Say what you want about Ponting's captaincy... but

If Ponting can rally the troops for a victory, it would a fantastic effort.
Probably overrated as a captain with such talent around him during the glory days, but coming up against a good Indian side, Australia have put in a good effort for the most part of this match.

Gooday OTWC, Agree with your comments in general but coming from the old school I do not like his general demeanor on the field. I would compare him with AB, both pretty dour/tough personalities but I know who I respect as a captain and person between the two.

Ponting has an unfortunate manner/way about him but is also subject to such close media scrutiny that I dont envy him for a minute.

His achievements far outway his failings and perhaps it shows just how tough and ruthless the modern game is compared to the "nice" old days.

GC:cool::

TBH i thought Ponting had a poor day as captain

i thought he could've attacked Laxman more and i dont understand why they didnt have a catcher on the legside when Johnson was bowling short on leg stump against Instant Sharma.

too many singles were given to Laxman early on, they basically gave up trying to get him out which completely took the pressure off IMO.

again IMO, the difference between Ponting's captaincy and a competent Australian captain is the difference between Australia being #4 and #1 in the world.

Roy00;409904 said:

i thought he could've attacked Laxman more and i dont understand why they didnt have a catcher on the legside when Johnson was bowling short on leg stump against Instant Sharma.

too many singles were given to Laxman early on, they basically gave up trying to get him out which completely took the pressure off IMO.

again IMO, the difference between Ponting's captaincy and a competent Australian captain is the difference between Australia being #4 and #1 in the world.

I never said Ponting was a great captain; for what it's worth, I think he is a limited tactician on the cricket field. They had a short leg for Sharma when they were bowling short, but you can't have them everywhere.

When you lose a close match you always think you can do things differently. India were scoring runs at 4+ an over, that makes it hard for the captain to keep control of proceedings.

Losing Bollinger was a body blow, that probably cost us the match to be honest.

Roy00;409904 said:

I also think it is a bit harsh to say Ponting is the difference between #4 and #1. I'd argue more important factors is the absence of a reliable middle order batsmen and the lack of a international class spinner.

Those are the two things holding back our progression up the rankings.

You can't expect to win cricket matchs if you have a batting collapse every 2nd innings.

In saying that, the middle order problem is probably easier to fix compared to finding a really good match winning spinner. To be fair, hauritz will never be a true match winning spinner, he is steady at best.

Hopefully slightly tweaking our batting order will give it a bit more stability. I think Hughes should be bought into open along with Watson. This will allow us to take the attack to the bowlers from the get-go.

Katich would then move to six.

Marcus North would be the batsmen to make way.

OurTimeWillCome;409909 said:
I never said Ponting was a great captain; for what it's worth, I think he is a limited tactician on the cricket field. They had a short leg for Sharma when they were bowling short, but you can't have them everywhere.

When you lose a close match you always think you can do things differently. India were scoring runs at 4+ an over, that makes it hard for the captain to keep control of proceedings.

Losing Bollinger was a body blow, that probably cost us the match to be honest.

Ponting only introduced a short leg after the horse had bolted and there were few runs to get. The first one that would've gone straight to leg slip..there was no short leg in place at the time. in fact there was no one in catching position on the leg side.
For Johnson to bowl that delivery it was a complete waste with that field.

Ponting once again failed to win a Test Australia should've won. Only Pakistan with their match fixing has made Ponting seem a better captain than he really is.

He is still to win a single Test in India, and i believe it is unlikely he ever will.

OurTimeWillCome;409916 said:
I also think it is a bit harsh to say Ponting is the difference between #4 and #1. I'd argue more important factors is the absence of a reliable middle order batsmen and the lack of a international class spinner.

Those are the two things holding back our progression up the rankings.

You can't expect to win cricket matchs if you have a batting collapse every 2nd innings.

In saying that, the middle order problem is probably easier to fix compared to finding a really good match winning spinner. To be fair, hauritz will never be a true match winning spinner, he is steady at best.

Hopefully slightly tweaking our batting order will give it a bit more stability. I think Hughes should be bought into open along with Watson. This will allow us to take the attack to the bowlers from the get-go.

Katich would then move to six.

Marcus North would be the batsmen to make way.

too much blame is placed on Hauritz every time Australia fail to win a Test match.

they had 92 runs to play with and 2 wickets to get, but couldnt get the win. this wasnt because of Hauritz...the cattle was on the field that could get the job done, but the tactics of allowing Laxman to turn over the strike completely handed the initiative back to India. furthermore, Ponting failed to set sufficiently attacking fields at this point and let the game drift back toward India. It was evident that it was getting easier for the batsmen about 70 runs out.

Look, mate, you are angry at the minute because we lost. And your looking for a scapegoat.

Consider this. Nothing is ever achieved in anger.

Consider this as well.

Australia lost Bollinger to a side strain after lunch, which no doubt reduced the attacking potential we had. These things happen.

It was a great test match, and Australia can take some positives from it. It could have easily gone either way.

Hopefully, as people mature, they look past the idea that test cricket is only about their team winning. The game has been through a lot over the past few months, hopefully this match will lift some spirits. As an Australian fan, Im naturally disappointed we lost, but it was a hell of a contest, and as far as Im concerned, cricket was the winner. Thankfully, each team appears to have a new found respect for each other, and there has so far been no unsavoury gloating from opposition fans or team members.

Nevertheless, it is important people remember that this is only game. Only a few days ago, Andre Nel, the former South African seam bowler, apparently tried to kill himself. Cricket is not the be all and end all.

I will always remember a quote from the late Keith Miller. I can't remember it exactly, but it was made when he was still in his 40's or 50's. He said, that he had seen so many games of cricket that he wouldn't be able to tell you who won most of them a year later, nor would he care, but he'd always remember the gems of play the game produces.

This was one of those moments.

We should enjoy it, proud of the fact that the Australians gave it their best shot.

More contests await, the sun will rise tomorrow, and maybe next time we will get to experience the short, but sweet, taste of victory.

Nevertheless, cricket is a game. Nothing more.

Roy00;409917 said:
Ponting only introduced a short leg after the horse had bolted and there were few runs to get. The first one that would've gone straight to leg slip..there was no short leg in place at the time. in fact there was no one in catching position on the leg side.
For Johnson to bowl that delivery it was a complete waste with that field.

Ponting once again failed to win a Test Australia should've won. Only Pakistan with their match fixing has made Ponting seem a better captain than he really is.

He is still to win a single Test in India, and i believe it is unlikely he ever will.

That may be correct, but he has another chance in a few days to win a test. Even so, the guy has only been involved in the most test matchs wins, as either player or captain, in the history of the game.

I wasn't such a big fan of Ponting's captaincy from the start and always thought that Warnie should've been the captain after Waugh. Of the four modern captains australia had, I'd rate Taylor> Border> Waugh>Ponting. But I have to accept that the way he has held the team together after consecutive retirements earned my respect.

I don't like the way he conducts himself nor the abrasive nature in which he handled the press post sydney '08, yet one has to admire the spirit he brings to the team.

That said, tactically he isn't great -neither were sachin/dravid when they captained the teams for that matter- but I don't see clarke being that good a captain either ( they way petty ego issues were allowed to build up that led to symonds' ouster from the team speaks for itself)

shrek;409946 said:
But I have to accept that the way he has held the team together after consecutive retirements earned my respect.

I can't think of anyone else for the job, but you do wonder. This team doesn't win the big moments against decent teams. Even when they have teams on the ropes, it slips away. (makes for damn exciting cricket though, so I can't be too miffed). And often only scrape wins against lesser teams. Surely the captain and the coach must carry some of the can for that?

Punter obviously doesn't have the calibre of cattle, but you dont have to have a team of stars to play well under pressure.

Though having said that, I thought the quicks were pretty good in this test and it is India after all.

"Australianism means single-minded determination to win - to win within the laws but, if necessary, to the last limit within them. It means where the 'impossible' is within the realm of what the human body can do, there are Australians who believe that they can do it - and who have succeeded often enough to make us wonder if anything is impossible to them. It means they have never lost a match - particularly a Test match - until the last run is scored or their last wicket down."
- John Arlott

Ponting fills those requirements. That is all I ask of an Australian captain.

Yes Boris Ponting does fit that quote but I regard that quotation as defficient in that it should include the following-

"whilst showing absolute respect for their opponents and the spirit of the game"

It is here that I feel he misses out as do so many of the modern day players. Regrettably it seems the higher you go and the more important winning becomes the further removed from these qualities players become.

As an aside that is why I love grade cricket as the players at this level observe fine ideals often to the detriment of their personal advancement. They are the winners though IMO.

I do have more of an opinion than just that quote, but it basically sums up what I mean.

Ponting isn't a captaining genius, but, without waxing lyrical, he's a true Australian in that he puts every ounce of effort he can into it. Although that might have take some toll on his batting, I think there are so many moments where praise is never given where it's due.

Captaining in a way is like wicket-keeping - you only ever notice it if it's terrible (read Dhoni :D). I think Ponting does much better than good, it's just unfair that being the captain of Australia it's not often that he loses, and when he does it's his almost always his fault.

As an Australian myself it is a bit hard to take an unbiased view and say he acts entirely within the spirit of the game and shows the highest level of sportsmanship, but once again the praise tend to blow past him without actually being directed at him. Off the field he has been brilliant, does anybody remember back to last year in the long-room of the pavilion after England won the Ashes? He and the rest of the team set up a guard of honour for the English team and Ponting himself shook the hands and spent a minute or so praising each individual player. It's things like that that I think place him easily as one of the 'nicer', or maybe should I say 'respectful' blokes of cricket. At heart he's still a brawling bogan, but aren't all Australians? :D

As a technical captain he's done his best and that's been good enough. I also think the landscape has changed a little for captains. Name as many brilliant captains of the past decade, or maybe two. I'm betting it's a pretty hard thing to do in comparison to 20 or 30 years ago, it's much easier now to evaluate and tear apart a captain's plans.

I do have more of an opinion than just that quote, but it basically sums up what I mean.

Ponting isn't a captaining genius, but, without waxing lyrical, he's a true Australian in that he puts every ounce of effort he can into it. Although that might have take some toll on his batting, I think there are so many moments where praise is never given where it's due.

Captaining in a way is like wicket-keeping - you only ever notice it if it's terrible (read Dhoni :D). I think Ponting does much better than good, it's just unfair that being the captain of Australia it's not often that he loses, and when he does it's his almost always his fault.

As an Australian myself it is a bit hard to take an unbiased view and say he acts entirely within the spirit of the game and shows the highest level of sportsmanship, but once again the praise tend to blow past him without actually being directed at him. Off the field he has been brilliant, does anybody remember back to last year in the long-room of the pavilion after England won the Ashes? He and the rest of the team set up a guard of honour for the English team and Ponting himself shook the hands and spent a minute or so praising each individual player. It's things like that that I think place him easily as one of the 'nicer', or maybe should I say 'respectful' blokes of cricket. At heart he's still a brawling bogan, but aren't all Australians? :D

As a technical captain he's done his best and that's been good enough. I also think the landscape has changed a little for captains. Name as many brilliant captains of the past decade, or maybe two. I'm betting it's a pretty hard thing to do in comparison to 20 or 30 years ago, it's much easier now to evaluate and tear apart a captain's plans.

I think as an Australian you should most certainly be able to take an unbiased view and form an opinion based on that view as I have. Excessive patriotism is a very dangerous passtime as evidenced by most wars.

Ricky Ponting has pushed every opposing player and umpire to the limit in search of success regardless of the consequences to our game and then when it is all over makes gestures, like the guard of honour, to justify his onfield behaviour.

I think he is a poor role model and should never have been made captain regardless of his success rate.

Regrettably Simon Katich was not in the picture at the right time.

Persoanlly I blame James Sutherland.He had a great applicant but let him slip through his fingers.

To
The Australian Cricket Board
Cricket Australia
60 Jolimont St
Jolimont 3002

To Whom It May Concern

RE – AUSTRALIAN TEST CAPTAIN VACANCY

Dear Sirs.

I wish to apply for the vacant position of Australian Test Cricket Captain pending the retirement of Shane Waugh.

I have been involved in cricket for all of my life and currently I captain the C Grade cricket team for the Wonthaggi Workman’s Club and have been hitting the ball quite well recently. I also open the bowling for the team and my teammates describe my bowling as “nippy”.

This season we have been enjoying unparalleled success in the local competition and sit atop the ladder. Our nearest rival in the competition (Wonthaggi Miners) is full of Pakistani’s, but that doesn’t matter.

On a personal note, I have been working hard to improve my leadership skills and sledging of the opposition. However there is no truth to the rumour that the sledging caused the all in brawl against Leongatha Town 2 weeks ago. It was infact the conduct of their wicket keeper who was drunk at the time.
My batting record speaks for itself and I also hold the record for the Smiths Beach Beach Cricket Comp, being undefeated on 724 with play being interrupted due to the tide washing away the pitch.

I realise that there may be some areas that I may need to improve on if I were to be appointed to this position and one of my concerns is that I have yet to face a ball being bowled at 150kmh, however I am willing to learn.
My leadership skills are exemplary and I run my team in much the same disciplined way as Shane Waugh’s team. In the first game of the season I sent our first slip from the field because he chose to field in bare feet. I didn’t think his conduct was in the spirit of the game and he sat out the rest of the day in the bar while we fielded with only 13 men.

I also have experience in dealing with the media as I regularly get interviewed by the local paper, The Sentinel Times. I would be more than willing to write a regular column for one or more of the major metropolitan papers and generate our own publicity. I’m sure you guys could tee that up for me?

I am very personable, likeable and am a genuine down to earth good bloke. I don’t drink alcohol on game days, I don’t gamble, except on the races, and I don’t have a mobile phone. I would also be willing to relocate to Kirribilli if I was selected for the position.

I look forward to discussing the position at an interview.

Kind regards
Darran Scott

RMB 5077
Smiths Beach 3922
Victoria Australia

The following referees would be more than willing to provide me with w reference.

Pot Dallinger Barry McCoy Michael Cargill
Surfing Referee Football Umpire Soccer Referee
22 Malcliff Rd C/-Wonthaggi Police Station 2 Panorama Crs
Newhaven Wonthaggi Surf Beach
3925 3995 3922

He actually got a response, here it is

letterheading.jpg

2 December 2003
Mr Darran Scott
RMB 5077
Smiths Beach Vic 3922
Dear Darran,
Australian Test Captain Vacancy
I refer to your recent application for the position of Captain of the Australian Test team which
arrived at this office on Tuesday 2nd December.
You may have heard that last Friday, (four days before we received your application), Cricket
Australia announced Ricky Ponting as Captain-elect to take over from Steve Waugh (or "Shane
Waugh" as you refer to him in your letter).
In light of this announcement and in spite of your self-acclaimed credentials and appealing
personal qualities, I regret to advise that the Board will not re-consider its decision to appoint Ricky
Ponting.
Thank you for your interest in this position and best wishes for the future.
Yours sincerely,
sig.jpg

JAMES SUTHERLAND
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
P.S. The fact that you could not find a cricket umpire to support your application did not help your
cause!

Persoanlly I blame James Sutherland.He had a great applicant but let him slip through his fingers.

To
The Australian Cricket Board
Cricket Australia
60 Jolimont St
Jolimont 3002

To Whom It May Concern

RE – AUSTRALIAN TEST CAPTAIN VACANCY

Dear Sirs.

I wish to apply for the vacant position of Australian Test Cricket Captain pending the retirement of Shane Waugh.

I have been involved in cricket for all of my life and currently I captain the C Grade cricket team for the Wonthaggi Workman’s Club and have been hitting the ball quite well recently. I also open the bowling for the team and my teammates describe my bowling as “nippy”.

This season we have been enjoying unparalleled success in the local competition and sit atop the ladder. Our nearest rival in the competition (Wonthaggi Miners) is full of Pakistani’s, but that doesn’t matter.

On a personal note, I have been working hard to improve my leadership skills and sledging of the opposition. However there is no truth to the rumour that the sledging caused the all in brawl against Leongatha Town 2 weeks ago. It was infact the conduct of their wicket keeper who was drunk at the time.
My batting record speaks for itself and I also hold the record for the Smiths Beach Beach Cricket Comp, being undefeated on 724 with play being interrupted due to the tide washing away the pitch.

I realise that there may be some areas that I may need to improve on if I were to be appointed to this position and one of my concerns is that I have yet to face a ball being bowled at 150kmh, however I am willing to learn.
My leadership skills are exemplary and I run my team in much the same disciplined way as Shane Waugh’s team. In the first game of the season I sent our first slip from the field because he chose to field in bare feet. I didn’t think his conduct was in the spirit of the game and he sat out the rest of the day in the bar while we fielded with only 13 men.

I also have experience in dealing with the media as I regularly get interviewed by the local paper, The Sentinel Times. I would be more than willing to write a regular column for one or more of the major metropolitan papers and generate our own publicity. I’m sure you guys could tee that up for me?

I am very personable, likeable and am a genuine down to earth good bloke. I don’t drink alcohol on game days, I don’t gamble, except on the races, and I don’t have a mobile phone. I would also be willing to relocate to Kirribilli if I was selected for the position.

I look forward to discussing the position at an interview.

Kind regards
Darran Scott

RMB 5077
Smiths Beach 3922
Victoria Australia

The following referees would be more than willing to provide me with w reference.

Pot Dallinger Barry McCoy Michael Cargill
Surfing Referee Football Umpire Soccer Referee
22 Malcliff Rd C/-Wonthaggi Police Station 2 Panorama Crs
Newhaven Wonthaggi Surf Beach
3925 3995 3922

He actually got a response, here it is

letterheading.jpg

2 December 2003
Mr Darran Scott
RMB 5077
Smiths Beach Vic 3922
Dear Darran,
Australian Test Captain Vacancy
I refer to your recent application for the position of Captain of the Australian Test team which
arrived at this office on Tuesday 2nd December.
You may have heard that last Friday, (four days before we received your application), Cricket
Australia announced Ricky Ponting as Captain-elect to take over from Steve Waugh (or "Shane
Waugh" as you refer to him in your letter).
In light of this announcement and in spite of your self-acclaimed credentials and appealing
personal qualities, I regret to advise that the Board will not re-consider its decision to appoint Ricky
Ponting.
Thank you for your interest in this position and best wishes for the future.
Yours sincerely,
sig.jpg

JAMES SUTHERLAND
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
P.S. The fact that you could not find a cricket umpire to support your application did not help your
cause!

Back