SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

Richie

Staff member
hypersonic research precinct

Australia is now taking the commitment seriously to developing and defending against missiles faster than the speed of sound, with the opening of a multi million dollar state-of-the-art Hypersonics Research Precinct at Eagle Farm in Brisbane last week.

This follows a 2020 agreement between Australia and the United States to develop and test hypersonic cruise missile prototypes under the Southern Cross Integrated Flight Research Experiment (SCIFIRE) which draws on 15 years of research and collaboration between Australia and the western superpower on hypersonic scramjets (see above pic), rocket motors, sensors, and advanced manufacturing materials, including actual launches and flight trials.

In aerodynamics, a hypersonic speed is one that exceeds five times the speed of sound – or about 6,200km per hour, starting at speeds of Mach 5 and above. The shape of these hypersonic weapons allows them to manouvre toward a target or away from defenses without being detected by radar, posing a challenge to missile defense systems.

Last edited:
8e80e60704d7259b71af9f58fb466583

Australian scientists have discovered a "mind boggling" 2.2km-deep canyon underneath an Antarctic glacier.
It is hoped water samples from the depths will help paint a picture of how warming oceans contribute to glacial melt from below.
Data from Vanderford Glacier in the frozen continent's east was collected by researchers aboard Australia's new icebreaker RSV Nuyina on her maiden voyage south.

( this is better placed here than the Lounge)

8e80e60704d7259b71af9f58fb466583

Australian scientists have discovered a "mind boggling" 2.2km-deep canyon underneath an Antarctic glacier.
It is hoped water samples from the depths will help paint a picture of how warming oceans contribute to glacial melt from below.
Data from Vanderford Glacier in the frozen continent's east was collected by researchers aboard Australia's new icebreaker RSV Nuyina on her maiden voyage south.

( this is better placed here than the Lounge)
Is the dark archway the entrance?
It would take a very brave explorer to delve inside. 😲

Do any members believe in aliens 👽 or UFOs?
I find stories fascinating when people claim to have seen spaceships or bright lights in the night sky. I think why would someone make it up, seeing is believing but I'm still fascinated.

I have an open mind on this. I do believe tho that government 'cover ups' over decades has removed much of the probability that ALIENS, UFOs etc exist.
I have created a thread on the subject in this sub forum.

Last edited:
I have an open mind on this. I do believe tho that government 'cover ups' over decades has removed much of the probability that ALIENS, UFOs etc exist.
I have created a thread on the subject in this sub forum.
Very interesting. I'll check it out tomorrow, it's nearly 11pm here so time to turn in. 😴

Last edited:
I'm against all forms of animal testing, whether it's for science or cosmetics, I've read some terrible stories about beagle dogs being bred and used for painful experiments so I'll skip this thread.

I'm against all forms of animal testing, whether it's for science or cosmetics, I've read some terrible stories about beagle dogs being bred and used for painful experiments so I'll skip this thread.
Me too but better than testing on humans I expect. Animals are more expendable. Ok skip that post. I have plenty more in this category other than medical ones.

Waiting in a long taxi rank queue may be a thing of the past in a decade with huge strides being made in air taxi technology and production. And Australia is well at the front of the list.

I find stories fascinating when people claim to have seen spaceships or bright lights in the night sky. I think why would someone make it up, seeing is believing but I'm still fascinated.
Hate to be a killjoy but like ghosts, psychics and bunyips it's 100% BS. I think the vast majority of the time it's just honest misidentification. People especially if the live in the city most are very unknowledgeable about all the things in the night sky that have very earthlike or natural explanations.

In saying that I actually believe that there is life elsewhere in the Universe almost certainly but it has just never been here due to the ludicrous distances involved.

I have reopened this thread J Jessica as you have an interest in outer space.

I certainly do! I love looking up at a dark sky and seeing the stars and wondering what else is out there.
Me too. I even watch these old cheesy black and white sci films. My favorite tho is without doubt the 50s color version of H G Wells War of the Worlds.
1688172145211.png

Attachments

• 1688172124624.png
    1688172124624.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back