Season 2015/2016

They've got 8 sides. The VTCA has essentially 5 Saturday (the one dayers are split into two) and 1 Sunday side. And as I said, they obviously feel the MCA is a better option. Like a heap of clubs, they choose not to put any/all of their teams in the VTCA - it isn't compulsory

They've got 8 sides. The VTCA has essentially 5 Saturday (the one dayers are split into two) and 1 Sunday side. And as I said, they obviously feel the MCA is a better option. Like a heap of clubs, they choose not to put any/all of their teams in the VTCA - it isn't compulsory
From what iv been told the board from the MCA is a lot better to deal with the VTCA plus having umpires across all grades is the thing they like plus one of there own is a Vice President of the MCA

No problems, well done to them for having 8 teams but in the end its just a shame they choose to only have 2 of them in the VTCA when there are plenty of options for them to enter their teams in the VT lower grades.

So thoughts on the first two rounds of the season?

South Caulfield look the side to beat for mine, good start to the year from them.

Interesting result at Hampton, looks like their last man was run out last ball of the innings forcing the game into a tie.

Interesting result at Hampton, looks like their last man was run out last ball of the innings forcing the game into a tie.
That looks like an amazing game of cricket.
Beauy cruising at 3-213 last week, lose 6-15 and declare at 76 overs.
Hampton struggling first at 5-66, then 8-137 chasing 229 to win, somehow get into a position to win, only for Kezilas to be run out for 97 on the last ball for a tie.

How valuable were those extra 8 overs Hampton had to bat with.

Last edited:
In regards to the north/west comp this year.
Looks to be a very close comp with all sides appearing to have recruited strongly and the gap between top and bottom narrowing a lot this year. My prediction at this stage is Keilor is still marginally ahead of the rest but the battle for the remaining spots in 4 to go to wire

Well said, they are a tad like South Yarra, happy to be superstars in an inferior competition
Given I play for South Yarra I would like to respond, as the superstars comment is way off the mark.

We primarily left the VTCA due to a player exodus, member preferences not to be travelling down the Nepean every other weekend and a distinct lack of umpires at South B2 level. We couldn't compete in the VTCA anymore, and didn't necessarily want to, so we had to look at what was best for the club.

Since moving to the MCA, yes we have won a couple of flags and are generally up the top end of the ladder (which is always nice), but more importantly our members are happier, we have grown as a club (to 7 grades this season) and we have two umpires for every grade each week. And whilst the standard isn't as good as the VTCA (which I thoroughly enjoyed playing in for 3 seasons), it is improving every season.

I think the fact that Parkville District, Maccabi and Youlden Parkville all followed suit in following years shows that the MCA must be doing something right in trying to cater for the needs of modern-day park cricketers with busy lives, which is something to aim for. And Carnegie cetainly shouldn't be knocked for seeking to do the same.

Interesting mid-season promotion/relegation between South and South/Snr Seconds. Middle Park up (to where they should have been) replacing Kingston-Hawthorn 5ths, who are still a grade too high IMO.

All points earned thus far are retained, so Middle Park go to the top of South, and Kingston-Hawthorn to the bottom of the 2nds. It's a bonus for MPCC with their points against 2nd XIs, and also for the three 1st XI clubs in South who have soundly defeated KH 5ths.

What a farce. So instead of stuffing up just the senior/south seconds for the season, they've now stuffed up both south and senior/south seconds. Whoever thought a 5th XI could compete against 1st XIs needs their head read. There are now 5 outrights in the competition first 3 games in South. Let's hope the best teams actually come out on top and its not a farcical situation where a team with way less wins makes the 4 on the back of a couple of outrights.

Oh, and no-one has mentioned the drawn game. Is the make-up day being used? Given no-one got a result wouldn't the logical thing to do be to scrap the first day and play a one-dayer on the make-up day??? Logical...sorry I forgot who we're talking about.

Last edited:
What a farce. So instead of stuffing up just the senior/south seconds for the season, they've now stuffed up both south and senior/south seconds. Whoever thought a 5th XI could compete against 1st XIs needs their head read. There are now 5 outrights in the competition first 4 games in South. Let's hope the best teams actually come out on top and its not a farcical situation where a team with way less wins makes the 4 on the back of a couple of outrights.

Oh, and no-one has mentioned the drawn game. Is the make-up day being used? Given no-one got a result wouldn't the logical thing to do be to scrap the first day and play a one-dayer on the make-up day??? Logical...sorry I forgot who we're talking about.

The seconds comp still has a 1st XI in it (Parkdale United have made 375 one game and also bowled a team out for 30). Last game there was a 22 and a 35 scored – so the discrepancy between the teams is massive.

And given there are so many teams we can actually finish 11th and not play a team below us on the ladder. (or conversely, finish in the top 8 but not play another team that made the finals)

The finals thing gets me. I’ve spoken to people from other sports and other comps – and they are shaking their head!!!

Will people tank to finish 5th rather than 4th?
Will the other premiership be the hollowest of all time?
Will players bother?

Just make it a final 8, get rid of the 4 day GF and it’s sorted.

The seconds comp still has a 1st XI in it (Parkdale United have made 375 one game and also bowled a team out for 30). Last game there was a 22 and a 35 scored – so the discrepancy between the teams is massive.

And given there are so many teams we can actually finish 11th and not play a team below us on the ladder. (or conversely, finish in the top 8 but not play another team that made the finals)

The finals thing gets me. I’ve spoken to people from other sports and other comps – and they are shaking their head!!!

Will people tank to finish 5th rather than 4th?
Will the other premiership be the hollowest of all time?
Will players bother?

Just make it a final 8, get rid of the 4 day GF and it’s sorted.
If I was you i'd be worrying about how your 1st X1 is going

If I was you i'd be worrying about how your 1st X1 is going
Typical, well thought out response. I appreciate your efforts.

Unlike you – I can walk and chew gum at the same time

Our 2nd XI will this week play their 7th, 8th and 9th Under 17 player in 4 games. We have an ex-junior player picked in the Australian U17 team. A couple of Premier 1st and 2nd XI players. Plenty of rep juniors. We have 10 junior sides and 120 kids under the age of 12 at our club

I like the direction our club is heading

Typical, well thought out response. I appreciate your efforts.

Unlike you – I can walk and chew gum at the same time

Our 2nd XI will this week play their 7th, 8th and 9th Under 17 player in 4 games. We have an ex-junior player picked in the Australian U17 team. A couple of Premier 1st and 2nd XI players. Plenty of rep juniors. We have 10 junior sides and 120 kids under the age of 12 at our club

I like the direction our club is heading
What to South Division

What to South Division
More to our club than the 1st XI. An important part, yes - but not everybody has a bottomless pit so we have to come up with other ways to get results. It may just be a more long term sustainable strategy than other clubs take.
As I said, happy with the direction our club is taking

You worry about your 3 flags in the last 5 years and the endless amount of juniors going up to Premier Cricket, Hampton have an outstanding reputation lets hope it continues. Imagine if you were paying Sri Lankan 1st class players to play in your Seconds!@!!

Last edited:
Back