Senior Central 2nds

Re: Senior Central 2nds

Well we are down to 4 teams. Great effort by CY's, who 4-6 weeks ago were down and out. Congrats Jacko and the your team. And wow, Bowring 100 not off less than 20 overs?? Would have been great to watch, sorry Foo!!

YP.... not sure what has happened with YP? Showed enough during the year, but fell short.

I would now think YC or RPB are favs for the flag? YC were very impressive against us, with bat and ball. And RPB seem to be getting some big scores, so this should be a good semi. And with both of these teams having their 1'st playing in semis, should be an interesting selection night??

As for us, well we will welcome back maybe 4 players for our game against CY's. We will have to be at our best this week, and play a hell of alot better than we did against YC.

Semi's are definately tough games to win. And as I have said many times, funny game cricket!!!

Good luck to all this week.
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

morning rossy, i've well and trully blown out the cobwebs before the wedding and look forward to a few quiet saturday nights in the next few weeks :D

i'm also looking forward to hopefully coming back into the 2's for the finals campaign. i've had some special pads made out of willow and have decided to just rely on hitting boundaries rather than running as it's too risky.

impressed with CY's effort.. when we played them last, a few of the blokes were joking about making the finals but looks like they weren't mucking around.

shame about youlden, it's never a good feeling to go out the way they did, but that's cricket.

surely whoever wins the yc vs. rpb semi will be the favourite going in. i haven't seen YC all year but from what i've heard and on paper they look alright. rpb are always dangerous with their line up.
 

jacko66

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Thanks Dizzy, Rossy for the congrats. While it was great to get up, the weak effort by Druids made it a bit of an anticlimax. The first week and for the first hour or so on Saturday they put up a good fight. White and Hall were batting well and we were getting a bit worried. But, once we got White, it became obvious that they were short and Hall started flinging the bat. One guy didn't show, one injured his ankle through the week and another turned up from an auction 10 minutes too late to bat.

Ringo started fairly mildly by his standards. But after 4 or 5 overs he swung at plenty and hit most. Dropped on 94, and hit the next one over the clubrooms at the Fearon. We had a junior function inside and he and Hall had already landed a few on the roof to scare the hell out of them.

Our 1's got an upright as well over St Bern's, who were previously unbeaten, to go to the top of the Snr A ladder. All round a pretty happy day for us down at the CY's. (So we won't get any back from the 1's v you guys Rossy.)

We'll go in this week as clear underdogs v Spotty, but that won't stop us giving it a go. As has been said here before, funny things happen in cricket, especailly at finals time.

Fooey, bad luck missing out after looking so good at Xmas. It seems that disease you spoke about at YP hurt you badly in the 2nd half.

I think RPB and YC go up against each other in both the 1's and the 2's don't they. Should make for a couple of interesting games.

Finally, Rossy, has Tommy got enough influence down your way to organise a crumbling turner for the weekend? Might get Rhino to lean on him.
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

jacko66;331091 said:
Thanks Dizzy, Rossy for the congrats. While it was great to get up, the weak effort by Druids made it a bit of an anticlimax. The first week and for the first hour or so on Saturday they put up a good fight. White and Hall were batting well and we were getting a bit worried. But, once we got White, it became obvious that they were short and Hall started flinging the bat. One guy didn't show, one injured his ankle through the week and another turned up from an auction 10 minutes too late to bat.

Ringo started fairly mildly by his standards. But after 4 or 5 overs he swung at plenty and hit most. Dropped on 94, and hit the next one over the clubrooms at the Fearon. We had a junior function inside and he and Hall had already landed a few on the roof to scare the hell out of them.

Our 1's got an upright as well over St Bern's, who were previously unbeaten, to go to the top of the Snr A ladder. All round a pretty happy day for us down at the CY's. (So we won't get any back from the 1's v you guys Rossy.)

We'll go in this week as clear underdogs v Spotty, but that won't stop us giving it a go. As has been said here before, funny things happen in cricket, especailly at finals time.

Fooey, bad luck missing out after looking so good at Xmas. It seems that disease you spoke about at YP hurt you badly in the 2nd half.

I think RPB and YC go up against each other in both the 1's and the 2's don't they. Should make for a couple of interesting games.

Finally, Rossy, has Tommy got enough influence down your way to organise a crumbling turner for the weekend? Might get Rhino to lean on him.
A great day for CY's. Correct about finals, anything can happen. How is Gilla looking for this weekend? I am sure all the "baddies" around Melb can be taken care of by his mates? And absolutely NO CHANCE of a turner at Spotty. Plenty of watering this week. Honestly, every week the track has been spot on. Outfield is a bit dodgy, but there are not too many that aren't.

Well with our 1's not making finals (but 2's,3's and 4's all in), it will be handy getting a few back in the side. And there is 1 experienced player who played in our 4's who will definately be mentioned come Thursday selection!!
 

7/564

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Too Old Body Broke;331101 said:
A great day for CY's. Correct about finals, anything can happen. How is Gilla looking for this weekend? I am sure all the "baddies" around Melb can be taken care of by his mates? And absolutely NO CHANCE of a turner at Spotty. Plenty of watering this week. Honestly, every week the track has been spot on. Outfield is a bit dodgy, but there are not too many that aren't.

Well with our 1's not making finals (but 2's,3's and 4's all in), it will be handy getting a few back in the side. And there is 1 experienced player who played in our 4's who will definately be mentioned come Thursday selection!!
I hope you are talking about Mccarthy playing seconds
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

7/564;331113 said:
I hope you are talking about Mccarthy playing seconds
No, talking about Paul John, hahahaha!!! Have you seen P.J's #'s over the last 2 years?? The man is a freak. Goin alright for an old bloke.

Yes, Inzy(M.Mc) is who I am talking about, but he is no "shoe-in"!! Tough selection night coming up, thats fo sho!!!
 

7/564

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Too Old Body Broke;331117 said:
No, talking about Paul John, hahahaha!!! Have you seen P.J's #'s over the last 2 years?? The man is a freak. Goin alright for an old bloke.

Yes, Inzy(M.Mc) is who I am talking about, but he is no "shoe-in"!! Tough selection night coming up, thats fo sho!!!
i have seen his average, over 100 again this year he must be doing something right :D

i hope for our club they both play in the seconds or thirds haha
 

jacko66

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

PJ, that'll be interesting!

Expect that Gilbo will be patrolling Spotswood on the weekend. Might ask him to bring a few tools of the trade down. Easier than bowling some guys out.

Dizzy, the guy is actually a real estate agent. Don't know where or if he had any more luck than later in the afternoon.

Fully expect a hard belter on the weekend. Your track and facilities are some of the best going around.
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

ahh ok, thought he was trying to get into the market... anyway, I played at spotty on the weekend and it was another top notch deck as you would expect. i can't see it differing.
 

Cougar

New Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

7/564;331125 said:
i have seen his average, over 100 again this year he must be doing something right :D

i hope for our club they both play in the seconds or thirds haha
Hi 7/564.. What's happened to Rob Linardon? Has he retired? Tell him the COUGAR says hi.

Bloody PJ. If he gets his moustache almost perfect, East Keilor better watch out. (He truely is a GuN).

2nds Finals will be a great battle. Selections will be very tight in all clubs. Lets hope the weather has no influence on the result and the best team wins on the day.

All the best to those the take to the field in the finals.
 

7/564

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Cougar;331557 said:
Hi 7/564.. What's happened to Rob Linardon? Has he retired? Tell him the COUGAR says hi.

Bloody PJ. If he gets his moustache almost perfect, East Keilor better watch out. (He truely is a GuN).

2nds Finals will be a great battle. Selections will be very tight in all clubs. Lets hope the weather has no influence on the result and the best team wins on the day.

All the best to those the take to the field in the finals.
yes he has retired.

He needed a shoulder opp after bowling 100 overs in last years grend final :Dhaha
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

well it looks like it's down to 2 teams. the weekend result was unfortunate for CY's and YC who's season came to end. CY's had us in trouble at 5/40 after winning the toss and sending us in on a bowler friendly deck. We managed to fight back through some textbook strokemaking to be all out for 308. We then followed up with some good bowling to have CY's 7/52 before the man in the mirror and madcok steadied the ship for CY's but couldn't do enough in the end. michael knight was impressive with his "toyota prius" bowling effort, 4/9 off 5.4

not sure about the details of the other final but it looks like it was a bit more in the balance. i think the difference was royal park losing their 7th 8th and 9th wickets for 100 odd runs as opposed to yc losing their 6th 7th and 8th wickets for 0 runs. also not sure why RPB had a second dig?? maybe schofield can elaborate.

so it's down to a rematch of last year's grand final, spotty to go back to back.... or will rpb square the ledger?

venue is still TBA
 

Schofield

New Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Ok so here's what happened in our game. The deck we served up was an absolute shocker and we were behind the 8 ball before the first ball was bowled losing the toss. Every ball was taking a divert for the first hour or two and in in similarity to the other game, we found ourselves at 5/18 and then 7/55. Thanks to some really good lower order batting we managed to get 157, which for the deck was pretty respectable. Bowled well on Saturday evening and it looked pretty evenly poised overnight at 3/30 odd. The deck was far better on Sunday, however the boys bowled really well to knock YC over for 112, with only one partnership really putting pressure on us. It was a good, hard fought win, which should hold us in good stead for another big contest against Spotty in the big one. In regard to the second dig, their rationale was that there was chance they could roll us for stuff all and get the outright, and they probably thought they were half a chance having us 2/7.

So, where do you boys think the game is likely to be played? Will the venue have any impact on the result?
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

always going to be a curators nightmare on the weekend considering the weather we had last week, really can't do much about that. i really have no idea what the VTCA will decide... last year the game took place at your home ground as you finished on top of the ladder, however i doubt we will get it at our top ground as it's usually used for a 1st XI grand final. i guess it's not going to matter that much as long as it's not a minefield, the deck is top notch and the conditions end up being equal for both teams.
 

jacko66

Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Firstly, well done to Spotty, they were were too good for us on the weekend. As Dizzy says we had them in a bit of trouble at 5/40, kept going OK at 8/120 odd, then it all went pear shaped for us. The track was bowler friendly, but not outrageously so. Just seamed around a bit. We certainly didn't have divots coming out of it like reported at RPB/YC game. Spotty's groundsman did a great job to present the deck we had after the rain that fell.

Simply, we bowled and fielded well early, but fell away when they started to middle them. We could have done with a decent spinner, but he struggled to land them and had to bannish himself to the outfield. We had a couple of chances to get McPhie early but it didn't happen and he then started to see it pretty well. Molan batted well, no chances that I can remember and waited for the ones that he wanted to hit and then hit them a f..... mile.

Our batting was pretty poor. I've been around a while but can't remember 4 blokes in one side shouldering arms only to get bowled!:mad: (Spotty had one of them too.) By that stage the deck was OK to bat on, still did a bit, but not that much. As Dizzy says, early wickets meant that we were never really in it.

Still, we are relatively happy with the year. The last couple have been a struggle for us, with lack of depth a real issue. This year was a huge improvement and hopefully next year we can give you guys a better run for your money. Our 1's won on Saturday and go up to Snr Div, so hopefully we pick up a few new players and the whole club benefits.

Good luck to Spotty and RPB in the final. Consistently the best 2 teams all year and should make for a great game.
 

Cougar

New Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

jacko66;334940 said:
Firstly, well done to Spotty, they were were too good for us on the weekend. As Dizzy says we had them in a bit of trouble at 5/40, kept going OK at 8/120 odd, then it all went pear shaped for us. The track was bowler friendly, but not outrageously so. Just seamed around a bit. We certainly didn't have divots coming out of it like reported at RPB/YC game. Spotty's groundsman did a great job to present the deck we had after the rain that fell.

Simply, we bowled and fielded well early, but fell away when they started to middle them. We could have done with a decent spinner, but he struggled to land them and had to bannish himself to the outfield. We had a couple of chances to get McPhie early but it didn't happen and he then started to see it pretty well. Molan batted well, no chances that I can remember and waited for the ones that he wanted to hit and then hit them a f..... mile.

Our batting was pretty poor. I've been around a while but can't remember 4 blokes in one side shouldering arms only to get bowled!:mad: (Spotty had one of them too.) By that stage the deck was OK to bat on, still did a bit, but not that much. As Dizzy says, early wickets meant that we were never really in it.

Still, we are relatively happy with the year. The last couple have been a struggle for us, with lack of depth a real issue. This year was a huge improvement and hopefully next year we can give you guys a better run for your money. Our 1's won on Saturday and go up to Snr Div, so hopefully we pick up a few new players and the whole club benefits.

Good luck to Spotty and RPB in the final. Consistently the best 2 teams all year and should make for a great game.
Hi Jacko,

Thanks for the game mate. Played in good spirits, although very entertaining at stages, i hope we didn't cross the line too much. Credit to your team for hanging around the club after a semi loss whilst our crew was out supporting the 4ths and bringing them home.

Now, Not to sprook Spotty. But i would like to congratulate spotswood 2nd's, 3rds and 4ths in qualifying for the G.F.
Although all clubs success are based on the 1stXI, it would be a great achievement if all 3 sides could get up to go back to back.
 
Re: Senior Central 2nds

jacko66;334940 said:
Firstly, well done to Spotty, they were were too good for us on the weekend. As Dizzy says we had them in a bit of trouble at 5/40, kept going OK at 8/120 odd, then it all went pear shaped for us. The track was bowler friendly, but not outrageously so. Just seamed around a bit. We certainly didn't have divots coming out of it like reported at RPB/YC game. Spotty's groundsman did a great job to present the deck we had after the rain that fell.

Simply, we bowled and fielded well early, but fell away when they started to middle them. We could have done with a decent spinner, but he struggled to land them and had to bannish himself to the outfield. We had a couple of chances to get McPhie early but it didn't happen and he then started to see it pretty well. Molan batted well, no chances that I can remember and waited for the ones that he wanted to hit and then hit them a f..... mile.

Our batting was pretty poor. I've been around a while but can't remember 4 blokes in one side shouldering arms only to get bowled!:mad: (Spotty had one of them too.) By that stage the deck was OK to bat on, still did a bit, but not that much. As Dizzy says, early wickets meant that we were never really in it.

Still, we are relatively happy with the year. The last couple have been a struggle for us, with lack of depth a real issue. This year was a huge improvement and hopefully next year we can give you guys a better run for your money. Our 1's won on Saturday and go up to Snr Div, so hopefully we pick up a few new players and the whole club benefits.

Good luck to Spotty and RPB in the final. Consistently the best 2 teams all year and should make for a great game.
Jacko,

A great effort in getting into the finals by CY's to start with. Played in good spirits on a track that had a little for the bowlers, as it should be. Congrats to your club on getting into the Senior Div, agian great effort and 1 that as a whole club, should be proud of.

Now onto the last game of the year. Schofield, now that your 1's are out of the race, do you have any players to come back in? I think we may be making 1-2 changes for this weeks GF, NOT 100% sure. As was the case last year, we are lucky enough to have 2,3 and 4's in the gf so it will be another long night this Thurs.
 

Schofield

New Member
Re: Senior Central 2nds

Too Old Body Broke;335369 said:
Jacko,

A great effort in getting into the finals by CY's to start with. Played in good spirits on a track that had a little for the bowlers, as it should be. Congrats to your club on getting into the Senior Div, agian great effort and 1 that as a whole club, should be proud of.

Now onto the last game of the year. Schofield, now that your 1's are out of the race, do you have any players to come back in? I think we may be making 1-2 changes for this weeks GF, NOT 100% sure. As was the case last year, we are lucky enough to have 2,3 and 4's in the gf so it will be another long night this Thurs.
We also may have 1 or 2 changes, but not necessarily from the 1s. There is going to be a couple of really tough calls. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of having our lower grades also in the finals, so it will be especially harsh for those who miss out. Glad I'm not the one making the decision! All will be revealed tomorrow night.
 
Top