Sheffield Shield 2010

Boris

Sheffield Shield 2010

Another year of domestic cricket is about get get under way, its opening match is between Queensland and Tasmania at the Gabba on Friday.

The first half of this season should be particularly interesting with the internationals playing a few matches before the Ashes. The New South Wales squad should therefore pull off a few early season wins...

Due to Fox Sports not taking up coverage of the SS (with the exception of the final), CATV have taken it upon themselves to show live coverage.

All matches except for the final will be streamed live to here

This is a great move from the CA website I think, and although I have yet to try it out it looks like the coverage is more detailed than one would imagine, seems to have everything from commentators to pre- and post-match details.

Thought I'd spread the word about it, as CA is most probably stretching out on a limb to provide this to us free of charge, might as well advertise it a little.

While trying to navigate my way around the new site I didn't see this thread and thought maybe it had been moved/deleted or something. Hence I created this thread that I intended to post here. I'm not sure what admins/mods have special powers/know how to use them yet so would it be too hard to get that post moved here if you think it necessary?

Mickey Arthur may be just about starting to understand what he is up against. Even by Warriors standards they are really outdoing themselves trying to lower expectations very early in the season.

I feel a bit traitorous but Mitchell Marsh could consider moving state sooner rather than later. Or he'll wind up a slave to the general Warriorization of anyone who seems to come into the squad.

We're carrying a fair few spuds in the bowling department. Noffke and Hogan don't look like state bowlers at the moment, they even had to bowl Mitch Marsh for 17 overs to get some variety. Beer and Duffield did alright but the rest were pretty ordinary. I'm really hoping Magoffin and Dorey are back in the side soon as we really don't look threatening at all and our batters will be chasing massives scores each week.

Batting is much the same, we had a good start and then threw it all away in the last 40 minutes or so with Robinson, Swart and Voges all getting out so we went from 1/70-odd to 4/108 in less than an hour. Voges giving us nothing is no real surprise, he was awful in Sheffield Sheidl cricket last season, Pomersbach and Mitch Marsh will have to bat like superstars to try and salvage something from the game.

Pretty rubbish effort all round to be honest and basically sums up our last three or four seasons. Going to be another disappointing season again if things don't pick up in the next couple of games.

Hogan is carrying an injury and he was probably the best bowler in the dodgy format game that they are using in place of one dayers.

It's a bit rude that we are depending on Mitch Marsh already, the season is only 2 matches old and both games he's come in with the team under the hammer. This is how he started his state career last year and eventually he became as prone to throwing away his wicket as the rest.

Well bowled Patto, warriors hung, drawn and quartered.

The warriors following on before lunch.

Fine work. They are determined on breaking Arthur early and are going about it with a will. If they keep this up he might give up in disgust and ease up on making them train hard. Which must be the goal... as much as they have goals.

Davis on notice. How can someone with an average of mid-20's be opening?

0/40 at the moment after following on. Darren Pattinson took eight wickets in a brilliant bowling effort for Victoria.

The deal with Davis is that we don't really have anyone else. Stoinis, Heron and Towers have been tried at times without all that much luck so Davis is probably the best option we have from an ordinary bunch. Swart opens for Joondalup at District level but seems to be set at number four. Perhaps when North is back in the side, Swart may move up the opening position.

Good to see Pomersbach making a nice half-century and Ronchi trying to hold the tail together, at least our batting isn't completely rubbish.

As a New South Welshman, really psyched about this season. The young guys in the squad are really looking good, and even Moises Henriques looks like he might finally get his act together.

Nic Maddinson by all accounts played a beautiful innings against the Redbacks. I'll be interested to see how he progresses this year.

Not looking forward to the Warriors season, given how we got smashed by the Vics. Fingers crossed that Arthur can whip this pathetic rabble into shape.

In two seasons Nofke has gone from becoming the third player to get the 50 wicket/500 runs double in a season to looking like a Sunday afternoon club player. Followed this guy closely, would have been nice to see him finish his career a little better than that. Hopefully the rest of the season can be a bit more fruitful for him in the one dayers.

Looks like the Bulls are finishing mid-table this season. Victoria and NSW I think are the two big ones this year. NSW has one hell of a line-up at the moment, especially with all the guys who could be playing Test cricket at the moment and wouldn't look out of their depth.

I wouldn't even bother picking him in the one-dayers if I was Mickey Arthur. He is well past his best cricket and his spot should go to a younger guy who can offer something to the side for future seasons.

I wouldn't even bother picking him in the one-dayers if I was Mickey Arthur. He is well past his best cricket and his spot should go to a younger guy who can offer something to the side for future seasons.

I agree with you there, but in that article Kram put up, it seems like he is 'mentoring' younger bowlers. I would like to think Mickey Arthur has some good plan beneath this all. Also I don't think Wombat will be that bad for the whole season, he should pick up some form at least.

He's basically given him the boot from all state cricket, hasn't he? Don't blame him for that. If the Warriors are going to be ordinary again this year, that's not really a question though, they might as well be exposing some youngsters and see if any of them come up trumps amidst the general mediocrity.

He's basically given him the boot from all state cricket, hasn't he? Don't blame him for that. If the Warriors are going to be ordinary again this year, that's not really a question though, they might as well be exposing some youngsters and see if any of them come up trumps amidst the general mediocrity.

Well he's out of Shield cricket. The one-day matches are a different story, he is still eligible for selection.

Like I said before though, there really wouldn't be much point picking him for the one-day and T20 games. I'd rather see a younger player given a chance in the side than have Noffke there. I'm almost 100% sure Noffke will pull the pin at the end of the season anyway, if not sooner.

But Arthur doesn't want to pick him for anything now unless the bowler injury list gets to a joke - which it nearly is but not quite.

In two seasons Nofke has gone from becoming the third player to get the 50 wicket/500 runs double in a season to looking like a Sunday afternoon club player. Followed this guy closely, would have been nice to see him finish his career a little better than that. Hopefully the rest of the season can be a bit more fruitful for him in the one dayers.

Looks like the Bulls are finishing mid-table this season. Victoria and NSW I think are the two big ones this year. NSW has one hell of a line-up at the moment, especially with all the guys who could be playing Test cricket at the moment and wouldn't look out of their depth.

Well Boris having just watched the QLD debacle over the last 2 days I think a middle of the table finish is very unlikely. The enormity of the loss is compounded by the fact that they had the better of the conditions. I was dumbfounded when NSW chose to bat on that deck and in the conditions. The batting of QLD(and in the one dayer) was very very ordinary to say the least. I think it is a very sobering fact that IMO only Hopes could command a position in the NSW side and that is without 7 AUS players and the unavailability of Stuart Clarke and Moses Henriques.Is that really possible and if so what on earth has happened to QLD cricket? In the 3 innings I have watched I have not seen one QLD player who would even command a NSW contract. I hope for Aust crickets sake that is not the reality.

Well Boris having just watched the QLD debacle over the last 2 days I think a middle of the table finish is very unlikely. The enormity of the loss is compounded by the fact that they had the better of the conditions. I was dumbfounded when NSW chose to bat on that deck and in the conditions. The batting of QLD(and in the one dayer) was very very ordinary to say the least. I think it is a very sobering fact that IMO only Hopes could command a position in the NSW side and that is without 7 AUS players and the unavailability of Stuart Clarke and Moses Henriques.Is that really possible and if so what on earth has happened to QLD cricket? In the 3 innings I have watched I have not seen one QLD player who would even command a NSW contract. I hope for Aust crickets sake that is not the reality.
I'm questioning the same things as you. The end of last season was very promising, got to the final and put up a very good effort against the Vics with a few first season players and an overall inexperienced team. Now all of a sudden they fail to reach 100 in not one, but both innings. The bowling looked OK, kept NSW to a respectable score, but still. There was even an hat trick in the middle of it all.

I still don't think they'll be wooden spooners, but from here they have only up to go. Looks like the batting line up haven't trained at all for the entire off season.

In the other game, what about Marsh's form? 147 in the first innings, 89 in the next. He's looking good for at least one out of three games in the ODIs against Sri Lanka on the back of this.

North also helps out his attempted popularity increase within the Test team. 94* the other day, now 101 in this match. Now just for Hussey and Johnson to pick up and all of a sudden the internationals are looking pretty good.

WA draw with SA after taking first innings points. There's hope for WA yet!

Back