Should Mike Hussey Retire?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

gbatman

Should Mike Hussey retire?

Should Mike Hussey retire? I say yes. We have a bad habbit of letting players rot in our side like this and give them far too many chances before axing them like (steve waugh, Hayden, Martyn, Gillespie etc.). Hussey is costing us big, he's just not making runs anymore. He's been a great but it's time to go.

I think we should be batting hughes in his place. I don't believe the whole, he's an opener rubbish and can only open, bat hughes at number 4, he's talented enough to make runs there. We have good young players like Ferguson and Marsh who we should be looking at squeezing into the test side soon. I'd rather see young batsmen in making a few runs than old blokes making ************ all.

Re: Should Mike Hussey retire?

there is one thing but, it isnt the australian way.

i am not sure i can explain it and it might not be the right thing to do, but australian selection has rights and morals that it has followed for a very long time.

this man won australia series after series. after one of the worst form slumps i have seen for a long time from anyone he still has an average of 52 despite not playing very many games.

he is one of three experienced regulars in the side. and clarke isnt all that experience. hussey has been in the game for a long time and i think he is the best captain the australian side has, despite him being the fourth in line.

safe hands in gully, or anywhere for that matter.

all he needs is some runs. hell, maybe he could save australia in some miracoulous way in the final ashes test. or get a duck. i like him as a player very much and think he is still the best batsman in the side, but there is a very big step from thinking to performing.

i think he will be dropped soon. but i sure hope hes not.

score some runs for us huss.

Boris;361188 said:
there is one thing but, it isnt the australian way.

i am not sure i can explain it and it might not be the right thing to do, but australian selection has rights and morals that it has followed for a very long time.
- Tell that to Border, Taylor, Healy, MWaugh, ... they were all pushed on when it became apparent they weren't going to get any better.

this man won australia series after series. after one of the worst form slumps i have seen for a long time from anyone he still has an average of 52 despite not playing very many games.
- That's because of the phenomenal start he had to his career. Yes, he has been a good player, and he did really well for a time. That time has passed.

he is one of three experienced regulars in the side. and clarke isnt all that experience. hussey has been in the game for a long time and i think he is the best captain the australian side has, despite him being the fourth in line.
- It doesn't matter if he is the best captain (whatever you base that conclusion upon???), because he isn't one and never will be. Now someone else can gain the "experience" of settling into this team.

safe hands in gully, or anywhere for that matter.
- He is a decent gully fieldsman, but unremarkable elsewhere on the field. It's still not enough.

all he needs is some runs. hell, maybe he could save australia in some miracoulous way in the final ashes test. or get a duck. i like him as a player very much and think he is still the best batsman in the side, but there is a very big step from thinking to performing.
- All we need is runs. All anyone needs is runs. Maybe someone else can save - or rebuild - Australia's batting line-up. He is not the best -there's little on which to base that opinion.

i think he will be dropped soon. but i sure hope hes not.
- It's good to have hopes & dreams Boris, but reality is staring at us.

score some runs for us huss.

Yes, the time comes for everyone. Regardless of his record, Hussey's time has passed. He may very well prolong his career with a rearguard ton in the second innings of this Test. He may well have a good summer at home. But he won't be around for much beyond that, so it would be a best-case scenario and that is not enough to warrant him remaining in the team.

Australia will have lost this series because they didn't get a few things right. In an even series, any weak links in the chain are exposed. When you look at where those cracks opened up, you cannot ignore the gaping hole at No.5. Totally unproductive, and as others have stated in this forum, he has been so for too long.

Needs to go. We have plenty of good batsmen - Hughes, Ferguson and Marsh are up and coming, Jacques will be back piling on the runs as soon as he gets his body in order.

Hussey is an experienced head, but it's not like he's Mark Taylor. He simply doesn't bring enough to the side to justify his place if he's consistently failing with the bat.

gbatman;361399 said:
The "Australian way" is not always the right way IMO.

agreed.

but it is just the reason why, for example, matthew hayden became one of the greatest openers this country and the world has seen.

what is a rule for one player is a rule for another. once an established player gets to legendary status they have a huge amount of leeway. the problem is now, has he had his fair share of leeway yet?

he has had a better series then he has had for a long time. two half centuries in as many games. three hundreds, two undefeated, in tour matches. he has had a better series then a couple of english batsman. and see which side is about to win?

one last series is all i and he ask for.

Boris;361419 said:
agreed.

but it is just the reason why, for example, matthew hayden became one of the greatest openers this country and the world has seen.

what is a rule for one player is a rule for another. once an established player gets to legendary status they have a huge amount of leeway. the problem is now, has he had his fair share of leeway yet?

he has had a better series then he has had for a long time. two half centuries in as many games. three hundreds, two undefeated, in tour matches. he has had a better series then a couple of english batsman. and see which side is about to win?

one last series is all i and he ask for.

If he aint making runs he doesnt offer the Aussies anything. Probably one of the most boring cricketers I've seen. He always looks stressed and under pressure. Thanks for the good times. They pushed Hayden and Waugh out and Hussey is not worth their bootlace.

I say yes. dont get me wronmg i think he's been a great servant to the Australian side but i think if he's honest with himself he would say his form of late has been very poor and not worthy of selection in the Aus side. his poor batting performances in the Ashes series, i think went a long way in us losing the Ashes. as part of all important middle order he just didnt deliver until the evry last innings when it was too little too late.

i think Hussey should retire and yet a young batsmen take his place.

well a great hundred in the second inning of the fifth test may save his spot. maybe.

i hope it does. that was the best innings of the series IMO. loved watching it.
when he gets in it is just entertainment from there.

Boris;361634 said:
well a great hundred in the second inning of the fifth test may save his spot. maybe.

i hope it does. that was the best innings of the series IMO. loved watching it.
when he gets in it is just entertainment from there.
I think cricket needs a Masters Tour a la golf or tennis for people like you. The guy has been rubbish for over a year. One irrelevant ton in a lost match does not atone for that.

But knowing the selectors he'll stay in the side, and decent runs at home against the crap attacks of WI and Pakistan will ensconce him even further in the side. Then we can watch him get found out again next time we play a decent team.

Caesar;361641 said:
I think cricket needs a Masters Tour a la golf or tennis for people like you. The guy has been rubbish for over a year. One irrelevant ton in a lost match does not atone for that.

But knowing the selectors he'll stay in the side, and decent runs at home against the crap attacks of WI and Pakistan will ensconce him even further in the side. Then we can watch him get found out again next time we play a decent team.

that masters tour is a good idea... i would be playing gillespie right now if i had the chance too :p :D
but i think that is only the one position there and with all the new players having the one older one isnt too bad to have. hes at the right age to not be interfering with retirements down the track. i know every spot is valuable as i make reference to time and time again. if he doesnt do well against the windies and pakistan i will kick him out myself.

my cricket sense says he is in form.

No, I don't believe he should be immediatly dropped. If you look at it he was not disgracefull, he got 2 60's and now a 121, I would see how he goes this home coming seris, if he fails then bring the option in.

gbatman;361163 said:
Should Mike Hussey retire? I say yes. We have a bad habbit of letting players rot in our side like this and give them far too many chances before axing them like (steve waugh, Hayden, Martyn, Gillespie etc.). Hussey is costing us big, he's just not making runs anymore. He's been a great but it's time to go.

I think we should be batting hughes in his place. I don't believe the whole, he's an opener rubbish and can only open, bat hughes at number 4, he's talented enough to make runs there. We have good young players like Ferguson and Marsh who we should be looking at squeezing into the test side soon. I'd rather see young batsmen in making a few runs than old blokes making ************ all.

Do you feel like a bit of a tool now? He made a 100, and if the umpiring wasn't so terrible, we might have had a chance :) We only lost by 197 runs, if Hussey and Clarke were still there at the end of the day, we were a chance

joshie91;361761 said:
Do you feel like a bit of a tool now? He made a 100, and if the umpiring wasn't so terrible, we might have had a chance :) We only lost by 197 runs, if Hussey and Clarke were still there at the end of the day, we were a chance

if ponting didnt ball watch and trusted the best runner in the team, huss, then we would be in with a chance of winning. but it wasnt all his fault, just a lack of concentration. well played to the great man ponting, and even better played to hussey.

i dont think this hundred puts him out of the woods yet, nowhere near it. to come back from a drop in form like that, you need 500 runs over 5 games at least. now he has started that run, and he WILL continue it into ODIs, as he isnt out of form there. thats his best chance, those ODIs.

for the teams sake they cant afford to lose a senior player though. that would leave the team with 7 young up and comers. too many to function properly.

i dont think it'll do any harm to have another look at him during the summer, ive been his biggest critic but luck just wasnt on his side during the ashes, if he fails in the next series then he should retire, but i think he'll come good.

distributer of pain;362645 said:
i dont think it'll do any harm to have another look at him during the summer, ive been his biggest critic but luck just wasnt on his side during the ashes, if he fails in the next series then he should retire, but i think he'll come good.

OK, who has hacked into dop's account? :)

it must have been hussey, bloody **************. :D he actually rang me up on the eve of his last innings and said dop, i really need your help, i feel if i fail again ill lose my career, i said well huss, crickets a very complicated game, but if you actually used your bat to hit the ball you may do a bit better, also try and run ponting out if you have the chance, if you can divert some heat onto him your form may go unnoticed for another 5yrs.

distributer of pain;362645 said:

C'mon dop. There are probably 3 countries us Assies get interested in. SA, India and the Poms. In the last 18 months he has struggled against all of them. His 121 in the last dig was great but the damage was done. He was a major contributor in the Ashes downfall. Even his 60 odd in the 2nd dig of the 3rd test was made on a runway. Husseys average over that time is just not up to par. This was the extra tour he was granted and was duly found wanting. Dont get me wrong, he has been a fine ambassador for our country, but IMO his time has come. I wont fall for his last ditched effort again and neither should you.

Back