Should the best umpire be allowed to umpire the best matches?

D.K

Should the best umpire be allowed to umpire the best matches?

This has been bugging me for quite some time. The ICC states in test matches that an umpire who's home nation is playing in that test match be unable to officatiate in given game.

It is bugging me up the wall because we are continue to be the best nation in the world (Australia - but under some considerable fire and debate with Sth Africa and India) and yet we are subjected to having to have Billy Bowden, Dalleem Aar and Rudi Koertzen umpire our game. Even the ancient Steve Bucknore gets a test match here and there. As the number one nation the games should be umpired by at least one of the top 2 umpires in the world, irrespective of what country they are from.

ICC need to trust the human power more, have stricter judging on performance to weed out bias decisions/poor decisions and they should have strict financial sanctions on countries boards and players/officials from criticising the umpires.

Would give some of the best umpires in the world the chance to umpire ALL nations.

Re: Should the best umpire be allowed to umpire the best matches?

Aleem Dar it is and he is one of the best umpires in the world as is Rudi Koertzen.

Fair enough about Billy Bowden and Steve Bucknor but apart from them the umpiring is fine. I can't think of a better umpire than Dar or Koertzen my self.

Grapedo, wasn't an Australian the best umpire? Can't remember which one, but I know he won the award two years in a row recently.

The ICC should consider it but they'll have to ask India what they think first.

I can also recall Aleem dar winning it not so long ago as well. But When you sit down and watch a match you can really make informed decisions about umpire skill then. And I thought that Aleem dar was very good indeed and have never had a problem with Rudi Koertzen although the decisions made by Billy Bowden in the 05 ashes still give me and I am sure many other Australian's nightmares. And sometimes I wonder whether Steve Bucknor is senile.

You would to think that the cricket world has moved on the days of 'biased' home umpiring enough to allow the best umpires to stand regardless of who's playing. I for one would support it.

The problem is that it would only take one contentious decision that cost a game or a series and the usual finger pointing would begin. It's bad enough know at times, think what it would be like if an Indian umpire gave the last batsman out when he hadn't knicked it. A genuine mistake but one that would be jumped on by the media and fans alike.

I don't think we're going to see it change any time soon and the ICC can always point at other sports who insist on having neutral referees in international games.

From what I have seen of Taufels umpiring, the Aussies would definately want him, might be their best chances of an Ashes upset

Really there isnt much seperating the umpires around the world, if Dar and Taufel are 2 of the best then there is a problem

eddiesmith;314167 said:
From what I have seen of Taufels umpiring, the Aussies would definately want him, might be their best chances of an Ashes upset

Really there isnt much seperating the umpires around the world, if Dar and Taufel are 2 of the best then there is a problem

Ashes upset? So you saying the English are going in favourites? Pleaseee

Well what changes would you make the world umpiring elite? Paul Riffell?

Pistol is getting better, still got some work to do but has improved alot in the last 2 years

But they should be giving more umpires international exposure in ODIs, the local umpire should be someone on the verge of the panel rather than one of the elite, helps curb burnout and gives them more umpires to assess

eddiesmith;314167 said:

:rolleyes:

It was the same for ODI's up until recently as well.

Simon Taufel was unable to umpire in any of the past World Cup finals because Australia have played in the last 287 of them

Back