Slower balls

Slass

Slower balls

What type of slower balls do people use and why?

My main slower ball is an off cutter by running my fingers down the outside of the ball. I use this as I find it is easy to bowl and get in the right areas. Also my grip is the same as my stock ball so harder to detect. The hardest thing I find is keeping my arm speed the same. Have also experimented with the Ian Pont SLOB ball with mixed outcomes.

Re: Slower balls

I use the same grip as my stock ball and run my fingers down the side
like an off cutter, or sometimes I will bowl cross seam.

Cross-seam sometimes but usually the off cutter for the same reasons as Slass. I often find that my cross seam ball moves in off the pitch as well just due to the way I subconciously release it.

My stock slower ball is the Leg-Cutter which turns abit if the pitch is right. And I also think I may have been able to master the SLOB.

depends on what i'm trying to do with it.

three variations I use at different times; gripping the ball back in the hand (no action change), cutters, and the off break

When I was bowling pace, my slower ones would be the old splayed finger trick, as used by Dilhara Fernando. My other one was instead of using the normal grip, first and second fingers, I used the second and third finger. I also tried it with my ring and little finger once and it turned out interesting, to say the least

Mine's the baseball style split grip, kinda. It's cross seam but the fingers are wider and it turns in. quite useful.

I nearly had someone bowled with a peach of an offcutter today. Completely fooled the batsman, turned and went over the top of middle by inches...I was well chuffed, but would've been better if it bowled him!!

I'm a right arm pace bowler.
Yeah I bowl the off-cutter, I'm working on the leg-cutter haven't used it in a game yet.
But my main slower ball is an over-spinner. It involves twisting your hand anti-clockwise (the off-spin way) so you end up having your hand facing the batsman, then you just release the ball in a downwards motion putting over-spin on it. It comes out really slow, but it's really effective because it dips down heaps, bounces up more and if you twist your hand just enough but not too much it can spin heaps from left to right. Best used when they're going for the slog, cause they expect the ball to be quick but it's so slow that they have to wait meaning they lose the power and speed in the shot.
I've tried doing this ball the leg spin way but it's just too damn hard.
Make sure your arm is straight cause you can chuck it. Takes a bit of practise but not overly hard. I guess the best example who uses this ball is Murali, but instead your bowling as a pace bowler and your arm is straight :rolleyes:.

I'm a medium swing bowler who can bowl faster if required, and I try three different ones. The split finger, the slower arm delivery and the off cutter.

Since I'm only playing indoor these days, I found that the most successful balls tend to be the one with the big difference in pace, rather than the subtle one I used in outdoor.

Its a bad habit but I also tend to let out a Sharapova-like grunt when I bowl the slower ball, like I'm bowling an effort ball, which tends to give it away! ;)

I use the split finger grip, the off cutter or hold the ball across the seam depends how much i want it to slow.

I'm with Mas - look at unconventional techniques - baseball techniques are worth a look at - The Knuckle Ball is weird un. Or maybe try and bowl the wrong one out of the back of the hand at speed or the Doosra!

Back