South A 2012/13

As long as the two dayers are done first, which it was last year (but not 2 years ago) – I think it is the best way of doing it
Two or three years ago (in South A) it was the two day games first, and then the one day games second. I thought it was dreadful. Seven one day matches in a row, not needing to field for more than 40 overs at a stretch, is not good preparation for finals cricket. All of a sudden you have to potentially field for 80, and then bat the next day with what the AFL would call a zero day break.

If there are to be eight team grades I think that playing the one day games in a block in mid-season is best, giving a run of two day matches leading to the finals. Having two day games to start with means there's a chance you might play some of a two-dayer against a team, rather than none at all if (as often happens) weeks are abandoned in October.

There will be 2nds teams without 1st teams in the aligned comp, or vice versa – so only thing I can think of is if OMCC and McKinnon align as the 1st and 2nds in the one comp (say South A and South A seconds). But that only makes 17 teams, meaning byes in one of the grades
Are you assuming that Chelsea will get a seconds up this season?

I think 4 onedayers to start then the normal 2 after Xmas (like the 11 round system) a the 7th onedayer on a Sunday..
That would match up with the other grades and give a good mix..

I agree with Strek, As a member of South A last year, the 7 one day games at the start was good but you probably could have shifted that to 5 at the start ( including the Sunday double header ) and then 2 straight after Christmas to allow for players who take an extended break after Christmas and normally miss the first few rounds. Will certainly help with selection issues.

As for the Format of the comp, i think why not have it so 8 teams in each comp South and South A, That way they can then follow the same schedule and will also help the VTCA plan and secure grounds along with umpires. Also allows teams to be sitting in 8th and can win a few games and still be in finals contention.

Perhaps with the relegation, We look at just promoting the premiers in each division to add a bit more substance to promotion and relegation ? otherwise in an 8 team comp, a quarter of the teams are going to promoted each season.

Yep - Vinay is back.. Walton & Bayliss from Highett, Shaun Williams from Clayton as Assistant Coach and so far, have kept all last year players and have a second pom coming out this year along with Matt Hawley again.

Yep - Vinay is back.. Walton & Bayliss from Highett, Shaun Williams from Clayton as Assistant Coach and so far, have kept all last year players and have a second pom coming out this year along with Matt Hawley again.
Williams- spare me! Money dried up at Clayton or not wanting to play higher?

To be fair Qball he is mates with a few of the guys down there. Although one new player hasn't exactly made a good impression on the coach after spewing in/on his car after training (not Williams).

Interesting to see the South A2 fixtures, with McKinnon and Old Mentonians 2nds playing in South A. I was looking to see how things would pan out with only the six 1st XIs playing in that grade. What I found was only five of those six teams are represented in South A2 - as well as McK and OM, Heatherton have only one team in the VTCA now and are not fielding a 2nd XI.

The three teams making up the numbers are Murrumbeena (presumably 3rds), Beaumaris (could be 3rds or 4ths, since they have a team in Sth C1) and Caulfield Grammarians/North Caulfield Glenhuntly. I tried to find out where Beena and Beauy 3rds finished last season, but for some reason My Cricket is not showing last years ladders. I wonder how they chose these teams?

Interesting to see the South A2 fixtures, with McKinnon and Old Mentonians 2nds playing in South A. I was looking to see how things would pan out with only the six 1st XIs playing in that grade. What I found was only five of those six teams are represented in South A2 - as well as McK and OM, Heatherton have only one team in the VTCA now and are not fielding a 2nd XI.

The three teams making up the numbers are Murrumbeena (presumably 3rds), Beaumaris (could be 3rds or 4ths, since they have a team in Sth C1) and Caulfield Grammarians/North Caulfield Glenhuntly. I tried to find out where Beena and Beauy 3rds finished last season, but for some reason My Cricket is not showing last years ladders. I wonder how they chose these teams?
We were asked at McKinnon if it works for us and since we won the senior 2nds flag last year felt we would be able to be competitive in south A

We were asked at McKinnon if it works for us and since we won the senior 2nds flag last year felt we would be able to be competitive in south A
So DStrek - your 2nds will be in South A, and your 3rds will be in South 2nds? An intelligent move given they won the flag, but were relegated

I've been following the 1st XI grades, and understand about McKinnon 2nds playing in South A1. I guess my post was a bit confusing - I was more interested in South A2.

Do the VTCA (and/or the clubs) see South A2 as a higher grade than South C1? Will it be Beaumaris 3rds or 4ths in South A2/South C1? I think the VTCA finals qualification rules make allowances for consecutive teams playing in finals (2nds and 3rds, for example) so for qualification purposes it is a requirement to know which is the 3rd XI and which is the 4th.

The My Cricket scores and ladders for last season are no longer available, but I know that Murrumbeena 3rds were beaten by South Caulfield in the last round last season, and missed out on the finals. This suggests that South A2 is not seen as a "promotion" from South C1.

It's been a difficult job to come up with the grading this season in the South, and I think that the VTCA have showed remarkable flexibility (compared to years past) and done well. It would be nice to know the rationale behind some of the decisions though...

Do the VTCA (and/or the clubs) see South A2 as a higher grade than South C1? Will it be Beaumaris 3rds or 4ths in South A2/South C1? I think the VTCA finals qualification rules make allowances for consecutive teams playing in finals (2nds and 3rds, for example) so for qualification purposes it is a requirement to know which is the 3rd XI and which is the 4th.

That's a very good point
This year we will have a two day Saturday and a one day Saturday side. Some guys will want to play two day stuff, some will play one days stuff – others won’t be fussed, and others will only be available one week
So for us, it isn’t a case of 3s and 4s – but obviously for qualifications it is
Do you think this is the beginning of the end for 2nds comps??

Do you think this is the beginning of the end for 2nds comps??
Dunno. I used to be a strong supporter of 2nd XI cricket, but now think that in the South (at least) it would be better to have the teams move up and down the grades based on their performances, rather then be artificially constrained by having to play 2nds, or 3rds. This means you may get the situation where one club's 1st XI might be playing another's 4ths, but that would only be because the two teams strength was comparable.

I've no idea what might happen though. The last couple of years, with McKinnon last year fielding their 3rds in South Seconds, and the arrangements this year is a step in the right direction. But I would like to see something done, rather than everybody having to sit around until half way through September to find out the gradings, which still seem to be arbitrary.

And the only ones at fault there are the clubs who enter teams, the draw is done and then they withdraw a side,draw gets redone and then another side pulls out. So that way you have to sit around till halfway through September. Just remember that we start on the 1st Saturday in October (weather permitting)

Dunno. I used to be a strong supporter of 2nd XI cricket, but now think that in the South (at least) it would be better to have the teams move up and down the grades based on their performances, rather then be artificially constrained by having to play 2nds, or 3rds. This means you may get the situation where one club's 1st XI might be playing another's 4ths, but that would only be because the two teams strength was comparable.

I've no idea what might happen though. The last couple of years, with McKinnon last year fielding their 3rds in South Seconds, and the arrangements this year is a step in the right direction. But I would like to see something done, rather than everybody having to sit around until half way through September to find out the gradings, which still seem to be arbitrary.

I think in a perfect world you would have 8 or 10 or 12 even teams who all have even 2nds (and 3rds and 4ths teams), but I don’t think we live in that perfect world
If we had a straight 2nds comp in South division, then this season we were 1 run (Aspendale winning the South A semi vs Hampton instead of tying) away from having the team winning the Senior 2nds premiership (McKinnon) playing a team who finished in the bottom rungs of South A2 (Aspendale). To me, common sense says you have as competitive grades as possible – and if that means you have 1st XIs playing 3rd XIs, so be it

Back