South A & B 2011/12

2bluesboss

A new season, a new thread!
What's the goss down South Lads???
A little birdy told me Parkdale has a new coach.
South A favourites - Murrumbeena, Parkdale
South B favourites - Aspendale? (They love South B)

Yes Parkdale have signed former Hampton player Justin Ferguson as coach according to their website. Big signing and no doubt will be aiming to get them past the semi final stage which has dogged them the past two years. Anyone played with/against Ferguson? Seems like a pretty good CV so no doubt he will perform well.

Haven't heard anything else, if the Beena Arena re signs Rudge and Lamb, then they should be favourites but a long way to go as we are in June still. Maccabi and MHSOB both come down. Look out for MHSOB's Steve Villani, has plundered a lot of runs in South Division the past 2 years on their postage stamp and could possibly make 1000 this year in South A.

Yes Parkdale have signed former Hampton player Justin Ferguson as coach according to their website. Big signing and no doubt will be aiming to get them past the semi final stage which has dogged them the past two years. Anyone played with/against Ferguson? Seems like a pretty good CV so no doubt he will perform well.

Haven't heard anything else, if the Beena Arena re signs Rudge and Lamb, then they should be favourites but a long way to go as we are in June still. Maccabi and MHSOB both come down. Look out for MHSOB's Steve Villani, has plundered a lot of runs in South Division the past 2 years on their postage stamp and could possibly make 1000 this year in South A.

Wish I could drop a division and triple my run telly for the season. It sounds like a hard thing to do (even on a ground like MHSOB)!

Wish I could drop a division and triple my run telly for the season. It sounds like a hard thing to do (even on a ground like MHSOB)!

It doesnt count if you're dropping down and tripling from 150 to 450.
He is dropping a grade after making 780 and 380.
Hardly his fault they are dropping down after making 380 @ 50 last year.

I can safely say that I made well more than 150 so my next season would be huge if I tripled.

I hope that he does it, but frankly I'm closer to vomitting on the X Factor than he (or anyone) is to making 1000 in any First XI grade. Does anyone know the last player to make 1000 runs? I'm really keen to know...

Hardly his fault they are dropping. All he can do is play against what's on offer.

Scott Porter - 2008/2009
VTCA:Senior Division 12 15 0 2 7 0 155 956 63.73
Kooka 20/2:VB 20/20 Cup 2 2 0 0 0 0 47 61 30.50
ALL GRADES 14 17 0 2 7 0 155 1017 59.82

Scott Porter - 2008/2009

Perera (Heatherton) got 1021 in 08/09 also. But agreed 1000 is a bit steep and certainly I was embellishing a little.

I hear Moorrabbin Park coming up will be recruiting hard also, don't expect them to be just making up the numbers in South A.

I can safely say that I made well more than 150 so my next season would be huge if I tripled.

I hope that he does it, but frankly I'm closer to vomitting on the X Factor than he (or anyone) is to making 1000 in any First XI grade. Does anyone know the last player to make 1000 runs? I'm really keen to know...

Hardly his fault they are dropping. All he can do is play against what's on offer.

I watched Daykin fill his boots at Gerry Green a couple of years back, (nearly clearing 1000) and I'd much rather watch Bigfish chunder on the X-Factor, in fact mate tell me when your gig date is and I'll supply as much Bacardi, Bundy and Ouzo you need....

Scott Porter - 2008/2009

That's an impressive season!!!Runs scored on Keilor's ground are well scored runs indeed. Do they still leave the grass long there for the Keilor Gift or is that something of the past? With that kind of personal performance I can see why Scott tried Premier Cricket again.

Perera (Heatherton) got 1021 in 08/09 also. But agreed 1000 is a bit steep and certainly I was embellishing a little.

I hear Moorrabbin Park coming up will be recruiting hard also, don't expect them to be just making up the numbers in South A.

Perera's season of 1000 was amazing. 4 out of his first 5 games he tonned up.

I watched Daykin fill his boots at Gerry Green a couple of years back, (nearly clearing 1000) and I'd much rather watch Bigfish chunder on the X-Factor, in fact mate tell me when your gig date is and I'll supply as much Bacardi, Bundy and Ouzo you need....

Mate, I might take you up on that...
With the grounds slowing remarkably, 1000 runs in 2008/09 is comparable with 800 runs in 2010/11. As such, I doubt that we will see a 1000 run season next season. I hope I'm wrong.

would probably need to play more than 3 two day games in a season aswell!! fingers crossed we get a decent season in for everyone..

would probably need to play more than 3 two day games in a season aswell!! fingers crossed we get a decent season in for everyone..

That's the real killer isn't it. I have a feeling that we're not going to get the conditions that farmers hate and batsman love for a while. I could be wrong.

I'd be interested to see how many players vie away from incentives and move to a fixed amounts due to this. The way I figure it, most of the VTCAs paid players are ex-Premier Cricket players. Probably late 20s to mid 30s. Starting a family. Money's tight. They need to have a set amount paid around a backdrop of weather and injury uncertainty. That's probably a sterotype, but I could be wrong.

I remember playing back in the old South A competition which was 1st grade in 1992/1993 and a bloke from Springvale by the name of Gordon King hit around 1200 runs in a season. I know we don't have the data on my cricket for this but it was a huge season. I remember looking in Monday's paper each week and seeing his name in it for making 50+ each week except for probably 1 or 2 weeks.
That year was a 14 team grade with 13 matched but to still hit 1200 runs....especially playing out at Springvale was a great achivement. He single handedly almost won them the flag. The next year he left for DDCA or another team out that way and within a couple of years Springvale had gone from our competition as well.
A great batsmen no-the-less!

I remember playing back in the old South A competition which was 1st grade in 1992/1993 and a bloke from Springvale by the name of Gordon King hit around 1200 runs in a season. I know we don't have the data on my cricket for this but it was a huge season. I remember looking in Monday's paper each week and seeing his name in it for making 50+ each week except for probably 1 or 2 weeks.
That year was a 14 team grade with 13 matched but to still hit 1200 runs....especially playing out at Springvale was a great achivement. He single handedly almost won them the flag. The next year he left for DDCA or another team out that way and within a couple of years Springvale had gone from our competition as well.

That's an awesome effort. Is he apart of that whole King clan out at Ringwood???

That's an awesome effort. Is he apart of that whole King clan out at Ringwood???

Dont think he is related to the Ringwood mob- he went to Springvale South in the DDCA (and played some good cricket), and might be involved in Narre Warren where his son plays if I remember correctly

I remember playing that King bloke when I was about 17. Good player...big guy...controlled the game.

OAKLEIGH DISTRICTS FOOTBALLERS CRICKET CLUB

Affiliated with the SDCCL
Seeking Senior Coach (playing/non playing) for the 2011/12 Season
We are a club working our way up the ladder, a club with a thriving junior set up including the Milo Have a Go program. Our 1st XI is in 1st grade (Menzies Sheild) and was a finals contender right until the last round of this season.
We now seek the experience and skills of a senior coach.
The person we’re after will ideally possess:
    • Experience at a higher level (VCA, VTCA, VSDCA, DDCA, BHRCA, etc)
    • A Level One coaching certificate or higher
    • An ability to bring quality and depth to our club through players and quality people.
Playing coach would be preferable, but we are definitely interested in speaking with anyone who is interested.

In return we offer:
    • Remuneration consistent with your experience and skills set
    • Extra incentives built around your ability to bring players
    • Further incentives built around results on and off field
    • A club willing to listen and learn
    • A club with ambitious players
    • Fantastic new club facilities

Suitable candidates will be able to manage and complete pre season training as well as run training during the season. They will preferably have statistical credentials available on MyCricket or similar league websites or references from previous clubs. A person willing to put time into or participate in our junior program on any level would be highly attractive.
Resumes/Applications/Enquiries can be forwarded to adamciavarella@gmail.com or enquiries can be made on 0413 928 287

Applications close 8th July, 2011.

Hey Chiva,

Is Britt pop still running around with you blokes?
(P.S. Cheer Cheer)

He passed 1000 runs in the grand final against Middle Park which was played at highett. That was in the second innings when he made 47 and was dismissed by a poster that comes on here. Middle Park won the game 9 down.

He passed 1000 runs in the grand final against Middle Park which was played at highett. That was in the second innings when he made 47 and was dismissed by a poster that comes on here. Middle Park won the game 9 down.

King, batted like Viv Richards in South A that season, picked up a ball on his hip shovelled it 3/4 the way up the pine trees on the far side of Gerry Green and called "Wait" as he hit it. You couldn't help but giggle on the opposition especially as I wasn't bowling that season.

Back