South Africa seem to split curse

worldcup2

South Africa seem to split curse

South Africa has faltered at crucial stages of major events so many times that their 'chokers' tag is as much of a constant as the national flag on the players' sleeves.

Sydney 1992 (WC semifinal), Karachi 1996 (WC quarterfinal), Edgbaston 1999 (WC semifinal), Durban 2003 (Group Game), St. Lucia 2007 (WC semis) and Durban 2007 (Super 8 game T20 WC) all bring back bitter memories for South African supporters and players. In all these tournaments, they were tipped to win before crashing. Now, SA's mettle will be tested once again in the World T20 semis against Pakistan on Thursday.

Graeme Smith's men have won all the five games they have played so far.Pakistan have been brilliant in patches but have stumbled and stuttered into the semis, but it is now that they are most dangerous. Pakistan can play uninhibited cricket and surprise anyone on their day. SA, on the other hand, are tipped as title favourites.

Will that tag put them under pressure again? One good news for South Africa will be the return of vice-captain Jacques Kallis.

Kallis missed Tuesday's Super 8 match against India due to a back niggle, but he has been declared fit. Kallis and the rest of the batsmen will need to handle the reverse swing of Umar Gul, a variety that destroyed New Zealand at the Oval last weekend.

Re: South Africa seem to split curse

Mate the chokers thing is unfortunately the media's work. Think clearly for a few minutes:

1992 - Was the 1 ball 22 runs disaster which if the game went full distance then we would have knocked England out of the World Cup. Remember this was the first international tournament that South Africa played in.

1996 - One reason Brian Charles Lara. South Africa were the best team and pool play and then met a blistering Lara .. anyone would have ran for cover..

1999 - One of the greatest games of ODI ever played. If Herschelle Gibbs did not drop Steve Waugh and the umpires did not give the late Hansie Cronje caught of his shoe from a certain Warne character.

2003 - simple it is called the Duckworth Lewis.. miscalculation which helped the entire cricket world as to the importance of proper information.

2007 - the game was played on a world smallest cricket ground and South Africa forgot the proper intensity to play Australia and try to play brave cricket...

Any cricket match on a given day is simply who the better team on that day is ..

Keep in mind South Africa has a decent record against subcontinent teams and it boils down to who plays the best ..

hattrick;353240 said:
Mate the chokers thing is unfortunately the media's work. Think clearly for a few minutes:

1992 - Was the 1 ball 22 runs disaster which if the game went full distance then we would have knocked England out of the World Cup. Remember this was the first international tournament that South Africa played in.

1996 - One reason Brian Charles Lara. South Africa were the best team and pool play and then met a blistering Lara .. anyone would have ran for cover..

1999 - One of the greatest games of ODI ever played. If Herschelle Gibbs did not drop Steve Waugh and the umpires did not give the late Hansie Cronje caught of his shoe from a certain Warne character.

2003 - simple it is called the Duckworth Lewis.. miscalculation which helped the entire cricket world as to the importance of proper information.

2007 - the game was played on a world smallest cricket ground and South Africa forgot the proper intensity to play Australia and try to play brave cricket...

Any cricket match on a given day is simply who the better team on that day is ..

Keep in mind South Africa has a decent record against subcontinent teams and it boils down to who plays the best ..

Just an unlucky country I suppose :eek:

And yet again... Surely they have to be the most mentally fragile team in any sport when it comes to WCs?

The monkey on the back has turned into a Gorilla on each shouler.

Mentality fragile .. you have to be kidding right.. I must admit I am pretty tired of this .. it is real torch er being a supporter .. Listen to what Younis Khan had to say..

I am actually waiting for the chokers tag... that too is the media's fault.

The reality is simple .. they always play too well in the group stages of these World ICC Events. It is extremely disappointing but on the flip side is that where is Australia, England, India.. ??

One day the cricketing gods will smile on South Africa.. I hope I am still alive when they win something..

hattrick;353394 said:
Mentality fragile .. you have to be kidding right.. I must admit I am pretty tired of this .. it is real torch er being a supporter .. Listen to what Younis Khan had to say..

I am actually waiting for the chokers tag... that too is the media's fault.

The reality is simple .. they always play too well in the group stages of these World ICC Events. It is extremely disappointing but on the flip side is that where is Australia, England, India.. ??

One day the cricketing gods will smile on South Africa.. I hope I am still alive when they win something..
That's a fair tide your swimming against there.

hattrick;353394 said:
The reality is simple .. they always play too well in the group stages of these World ICC Events.

If they play disproportionately worse in the finals than they do in the group stages, that is choking.

1992 - Fair enough, can be chalked up to bad luck

1996 - Lara made a bunch of runs and SA lost, no luck to blame there.

1999 - Gibbs, Cronje : Excuses

2003 - Bad luck, stupidity, whatever. Probably justifiable as a 'non-choke'

2007- If this is not the textbook definition of a choke then I don't know what is.

2009 - See 2007

There is one instance in the above list (two if you're being generous) where South Africa can blame the 'cricket gods', the other times they lost fair and square. Being consistently outplayed on the day of a knockout final when you have been the best side in the competition beforehand is about as choky as you can get.

Guys I think I am gonna leave everything as said and done. I will keep supporting them no matter what anyone says and how poorly they play. I am being patriotic.. so there .. I said it..

Won day on any given sunday they will win .. don't ask me when nor where.. then the chokers tag can be put on the mantle of supporters and left there..

A for effort.. mate I take exception to excuses of 1999. It is a matter of which side of the indian ocean you are on. Yes Australia won the match and the world cup but read Steve Waughs biography even the Australian players know they go away with it..

The chokers tag .. South Africas greatest achievement .. yes I said it ..

Back